Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heating chamber question

Posted by Gaou 
heating chamber question
March 08, 2016 06:00AM
Guys i dont have an enclosed printer but the place that i have the printer is small so i can heat this up easily and keeping the printer at the top of the place gives me a similar result . But the other days i was printing i touched the z steppers and they were hot enough . So i was wondering what do u guys ( the ones that using enclosed printers ) about that . in a big print is it possible for the steppers to overheat and fail ? The only thing that would be a solution is water cooling. But i would like to hear how you deal with this

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
Re: heating chamber question
March 08, 2016 08:06AM
Stepper motors should not be run hot, although warm is OK. I suggest you reduce the Z motor current in the M906 command in config.g by about 20%. Or look up the rated current for the type of Z motor you have and use no more than 80% of that.

Some printer designs such as delta lend themselves to keeping all the motors out of the heated chamber.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 08, 2016 01:48PM
I'm not experiencing any issues with motors with a heated chamber at 45 degC. But then my motors normally run quite cold. If they're hot with no chamber they'll be hotter with one.

A quick Google suggests 100 deg C is okay for steppers but they will feel very hot to touch. Can you use higher rated (longer) motors? My smartrapcore alu came with 0.5A motors which were very hot at a current needed to get reliable motion. Swapping them for the more usual 1.68A type leaving the current the same and the problem is solved.

Perhaps fans on the motors or heatsinks might give you piece of mind, if the air temp is 45 deg C a fan will still potentially allow you to cool to that temperature which is half of the upper limit for the motor.
March 08, 2016 03:02PM
thanks guys for ur replies. David the printer that i am talking about has been bought from rpp and it is a mendel. The steppers ( probably my mistake i wasn't clear enough ) in normal ambient temp run cool. Ok maybe the z axis one are hotter than the others but still cool enough.

The problem showed up with ambient temp 40-50 . At that time all the steppers were hot ( you barely could tough them ) but the z ones were even hotter. Anyway i reduced the miliamps and i ll check again tomorrow.

The heatsink seems to be the only solution for now . I cant afford buying new motors now but in the future i ll keep that in mind.

Thanks again for ur replies guys
Be well.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
March 09, 2016 01:23PM
It's worth checking them with an IR thermometer as anything over 65 deg C feels too hot to touch, but might actually be fine to operate normally. Whilst I take the point they will wear out quicker if too hot, they cost $10 each so a ridiculously complex solution to keep motors out of enclosures isn't worth it unless your motors cost a lot more than the ones we mainly use.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login