Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fume tent?

Posted by johntron 
Fume tent?
December 17, 2015 06:53PM
Has anyone tried putting their printer in a "grow tent" with some kind of fume extraction? You know, to grow plastic parts safely.

I have no practical way of venting to the outside, and no way of fabricating something large and airtight like an enclosure. I think a grow tent would probably be good enough for light, hobbyist use if it were kept under negative pressure (vacuum) so the nasties don't escape.

The only way to keep the air-permeable tent under vacuum seems to be with the filtration system, which means this would require something robust enough to filter the super tiny (< 0.3 micron) particles in one pass (loud, expensive).

An alternative would be to build a less-robust filtration system (quieter, cheaper) that simply cycles the air multiple times before opening the tent. This would need to be a closed system and not under vacuum, so now the tradeoff is the nasties can leak out through the seams of the tent.

An ideal solution would be something that doubles as a negative pressure fume extractor for soldering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 06:54PM by johntron.
Re: Fume tent?
January 19, 2016 06:37PM
Might get be worth following this thread [forums.reprap.org]
I'm waiting on some ducting then will be testing a hepa+charcoal filter which also doubles up as an enclosure heater and hot air redistributor.

I've weighed the filter and charcoal to 0.1g precision and will be checking it's effectiveness periodically. The only issue is whether the hairdryer fan can move enough air through the filter, and whether restricting it's flow and feeding it hot air will damage it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login