Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

aproved vendors list

aproved vendors list
July 19, 2015 08:20PM
I wonder why the "RepRap Foundation" hasn't taken the time to move for some sort of oversight in terms of best industry practices to regulate products under the reprap umbrella. Could it be that Adrian Bowyer is more concerned with his fledgeling business, "RepRap Pro," to conduct even cursory oversight of people who advertise "RepRap Products" on his own website?

This whole website seems like a Wild West, with a lot of businesses looking out for themselves and nobody looking out for the end user. My question is, "What is the purpose of this website?" Is it to promote every half baked company that decides to start selling potentially harmful products to unsuspecting consumers, or is there a concerted effort underway to weed out the bad apples that could ruin 3d printing for everyone?

I understand that the founder of the project is concerned with his own concerns, and wants to make RapRap Pro as a becon of light in an otherwise potentially dangerous market. However, you can't have it both ways. If you say you want to spread 3d printing virally without cause or care, how many people must pay the ultimate price? And for what cause? Is this exact chaos what the founders of this company banked on?
VDX
Re: aproved vendors list
July 20, 2015 03:50AM
... could be, this is a sort of 'evolution experiment' with viral spreading or memevolution ... if you look on the other failed attempts (e.g. fab@home), then RepRap is more than alife winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 04, 2015 10:46PM
dr. hunter s. thompson
I wonder why the "RepRap Foundation" hasn't taken the time to move for some sort of oversight in terms of best industry practices to regulate products under the reprap umbrella. Could it be that Adrian Bowyer is more concerned with his fledgeling business, "RepRap Pro," to conduct even cursory oversight of people who advertise "RepRap Products" on his own website?

This whole website seems like a Wild West, with a lot of businesses looking out for themselves and nobody looking out for the end user. My question is, "What is the purpose of this website?" Is it to promote every half baked company that decides to start selling potentially harmful products to unsuspecting consumers, or is there a concerted effort underway to weed out the bad apples that could ruin 3d printing for everyone?

I understand that the founder of the project is concerned with his own concerns, and wants to make RapRap Pro as a becon of light in an otherwise potentially dangerous market. However, you can't have it both ways. If you say you want to spread 3d printing virally without cause or care, how many people must pay the ultimate price? And for what cause? Is this exact chaos what the founders of this company banked on?

there is some degree of enforcement however it's difficult since there is no funding for testing anything vendors sell, the effort to weed out the bad apples isn't easy as some of them are quite well supported simply because they provide clone/counterfeit products at very low prices, in other words because these bad apples have dirt cheap prices on what they sell, they are seen by many as "contributing to the community" through price accessibility to products that would otherwise cost the buyer a lot more by buying the genuine article from the maker. backwards it is.....

an approved vendors list is something i have thought about doing to replace the buyers guide (pending some kind of loose agreement with other admins) one of the requirements i'm thinking of proposing is that a sample is sent out to an admin or one of the various trusted people in the community who will take a look at it in detail and make an assessment on wether the product(s) have a place on the wiki, some people would probablylike to see this happen (mainly people who have been stung with dodgy stuff) but the vast majority will see it as unfairly restrictive

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 10:57PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

November 11, 2015 12:23AM
two birds, one stone, no ethics.

get companies to pay to ve on the approved list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login