Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Maryland RepRapper

Posted by Garrett 
New Maryland RepRapper
March 01, 2011 01:06PM
Hello everyone,

As you can see I have just joined this forum. I discovered the reprap (and 3D printing in general) a couple of weeks ago. I still can't believe that it has taken so long for me to discover this wonderful project. I've been doing AutoCAD for the past 6-7 years now and have gotten really skilled at working on 3D models... Well, now I want to be able to print out some of this stuff.

I intend to order parts to build a RepRap Mendel, in the next couple of days. But before I do that, I wanted to see if there is anybody in the Maryland region who is already printing these parts from their machine. Anything that I can get locally would be preferred, so it will help with the development of our local community of 3D printers.

I will gladly compensate anyone for their time, materials and effort if they have any of the parts for the Mendel and/or could print me the parts. But it looks like I'm going to have to order most of the hardware/electronics off of the internet. So please, if you have any connections to parts and/or printers laying around, let me know so that they can be put to good use.

On another note, does anybody know of any other events of meetups that may be happening sometime soon? Also, have conference calls ever been considered? They can be great for arranging actual meet-ups and seminars.

Peace,

The Excited Noob
Re: New Maryland RepRapper
March 03, 2011 06:15PM
Hi Garrett,

Welcome to the community! I wish you luck in getting your RepRap sourced and working! Unfortunately I don't have much time to print out Mendel parts these days, but I do know of some upcoming events you may be interested in.

Baltimore Node has formed a MakerBot users group that will be hosting a B'more/DC RepRap meetup later this month. We're having an informal kickoff meeting tonight to discuss it:

[baltimorenode.org]

There should also be a pretty good RepRap/MakerBot presence at Robot Fest in April:

[www.robotfest.com]

--Marty
March 03, 2011 09:29PM
Marty,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I have ordered the plastic parts for a Mendel from Adrian Bowyer himself over at RepRap Ltd. So I'm sure they'll work out great. And i think I've narrowed down which hardware kit i want to order. Hopefully everything will get here soon. I'm anxious to start building.

Thanks for the notice on those events coming up. I was going to try to make it down to the b-more node this Tuesday. They have monthly meetings on the 2nd Tuesday of the month... I think. Do you go to the node?

Definitely going to have to check out the robot fest. May have to bring my nephew.

Thanks again,

Garrett
March 03, 2011 10:34PM
Hi Garrett,

Glad to hear that you're making progress!

I'm a Baltimore Node member and am usually in at least once a week. The best days to drop by are Thursdays during Open Hack, which is just an open-to-the-public time when a bunch of us hang out, starting at 7:30pm.

Our Tuesday monthly meeting is happening this Tuesday, I believe, but they will be moving to twice-monthly on Thursdays later this month.

Thanks,
Marty
August 31, 2013 11:26AM
Hello Garret I to would like to build a 3D printer. I want to build largest one I can, so I can print 3d architectural models. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with printed parts or inform me about good large kits. Also I want to have a multi-filament nozzle. Thanks guys in advance.

JeffLett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login