Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

B'more/DC RUG meetup at Baltimore Node

Posted by schmarty 
B'more/DC RUG meetup at Baltimore Node
August 10, 2010 04:44PM
Hey Guys,

Brian Dolge and I talked awhile back about hosting a RUG meetup at the Baltimore Node hackerspace.

If you're not familiar with Node, we are located at 120 W North Avenue, just a few blocks from Penn. Station. You can also find us on the web at [baltimorenode.org]

Brian tells me that weekends are good for meetups, so here are the available weekend days for the next few weeks:

Sat. 8/21
Sun. 8/22
Sat. 9/11
Sun. 9/12
Sun. 9/19

Brian also gave me a list of folks I should email for planning, so apologies if anyone gets this twice. smiling smiley

Any takers? Drop me a note with the dates that work for you and we can get this thing scheduled!

Thanks,
Marty
Re: B'more/DC RUG meetup at Baltimore Node
August 24, 2010 06:09PM
Hi All,

I only received two responses, so I am going to try an executive decision!

Let's have a Baltimore/Washington DC RepRap User Group meetup!

What: A meetup of RepRap/RepStrap operators, and anyone curious about desktop 3D printing
When: Sunday, September 12th @ 2PM
Where: Baltimore Node (120 W. North Ave., a few blocks from Penn Station)
Bring: Your 3D printer, your projects (or ideas), and your questions!
Please RSVP: Marty McGuire

I'll be there with my MakerBot and some random projects. I'm happy to answer questions, do a demo, talk about 3D printing, RepRaps, and whatever else!

Thanks,
Marty
Baltimore Node
September 09, 2010 11:12PM
Marty
I just missed your notice about MakerBot and RepRap at the Convention Center. I am thinking about buying a 3D printer and trying to decide between the two systems.

I happen to work very close to 120 North Ave., and was wondering if I could come by sometime at your convenience and see one in action. I am flexible about schedule - whenever it's best for you. I have some sculptures that I would like to make multiples of, so this kind of printer seems like a great alternative to the various clay casting methods, but I would like to see how fast they work, how much material they use....that kind of stuff.

Thanks for any reply you can give.
Steve
Re: Baltimore Node
September 10, 2010 10:23AM
Hi Steve,

I'm always happy to chat about 3D printing! Before I answer your question, I would like to take this opportunity to send one last reminder about the:

Baltimore/DC RUG Meetup!
Sunday, Sept. 12!
2PM - 4PM!
at Baltimore Node (120 W. North Ave., a few blocks from Penn Station)!
Bring your 'bots, your projects, or just your curiosity!!!

I'll be at the meetup with my MakerBot this Sunday, hopefully with some of the cool new upgrades working.

I'll be starting a new job on Monday which requires some travel and likely long hours. So, unfortunately, right now I don't know what my availability is going to look like beyond Sunday. I'm supposed to have the 'bot in again on Saturday, 9/18 2PM-4PM for a "class", but I've been really busy, so I don't know if that is going to materialize.

Feel free to send me a message off-list (you can reach me as @schmarty on Twitter) and hopefully we can figure something out.

Thanks,
Marty
November 05, 2010 10:14PM
I have bought a LC Mendal from techzone. Silly me I thought that buying a kit would include instructions. Now I have have a bench full of part and hardly a clue as to how to put them together. I have been using the wiki and have the X axis ( I think) I am having trouble with the Y axis. I wish there was a step by step set of instructions. I haven't even started on the electronics yet. But I have start reviewing the wikis which are all I have. They show some pictures and give overview instructions but they don't say this is how long to make thing. What I am saying is that I need help.

Urban
November 07, 2010 08:44AM
Hi Urban,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. One of the great strengths of the RepRap project is that the machine designs are constantly being tweaked and improved.

One of the downsides of this process is that there are almost no identical RepRaps in the world. Most machines end up using some unique parts or configurations, and that makes it difficult to maintain step-by-step instructions.

We'll (hopefully!) be putting another Baltimore/DC area RepRap Users Group meeting, soon, so if you're in the DC area stay tuned and feel free to join us at one of those. We only had MakerBot operators (and curious folks) at the last meeting (no one who has actually built a RepRap), but we'd be happy to try and help.

Hopefully you'll also be able to find some help on these forums!

--Marty
December 29, 2010 05:11AM
@Schmarty: So any plans for another Baltimore/DC RepRap Users Group meet anytime soon?

@Urban: Where are you located in the Bmore/DC area? I'd be willing to assist you in your assembly process if you are interested in it.
January 17, 2011 03:44AM
I am in the mt vernon area. However, good news I am printing parts. The wooded extruder block that is part of the techzone hot end has worked out so well for me making abs part so I got a piece of peek and tried that instead of wood as the thermal barrier. The peek melted a little bit and the tip fell out. So I got a piece of brass and drilled and tapped it to accept the brass tip. I still use peek between the brass and the extruder block. This setup seems to work pretty well. I have been printing parts for about 8 hours now. Oh yea the techzone instructions call for you to wrap the thermal wire under the resister wire. This doesn't work to well either. It is sensing the heat from the element too soon and causing the temp reading to not read the temp need to extrude. So I drilled a little hole in the brass I used to hold on the tip and hwoala it holds stead. I reads 192c but is actually about 210c which seems to work for lpa very nicely. ABS is harder to work with all around because even when you get it to make it warps pretty badly if you don't have a heated bed. (which I don't) Also it smell and bugs my wife.
May 16, 2011 05:11PM
Any interest in having a B/W RUG meetup sometime soon, i.e. within the next week or two?

- Andy
digifabindustries.blogspot.com
Now that I have an eMaker Huxley on order, and live in Baltimore, I'd love to meet up with some folks! Might be nice to see a RepRap in person before attempting to build my own!
December 13, 2011 06:44PM
I'm interested in meeting other RepRap users after I get mine built... or at least after I get my parts. I was debating on whether it's worth the $150 to upgrade the Printrbot to 8"x8"x8" build area... I figured that this one might end up being my only good printer, so I went ahead and upped my pledge.

What do you think about building these printers and putting them up for sale on eBay? I'd be interested in doing a few just to cover my initial expenses.

Erbanmap,

Have you searched through YouTube for videos of the build process?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reprap+mendel+build

There are a lot showing various stages -- maybe you can find one that makes sense with the parts you have.

-Scott
December 14, 2011 12:17PM
Any RepRap users meeting any time soon? I'm interested. I can bring my Huxley. It is together and printing. Now, I'm making adjustments and tweaks.
December 14, 2011 12:24PM
I am possibly organizing a meet up after the holidays. A few folks showed interest in the thread "Revive the RUG." MikeMike, if yo could post there I can keep track of everyone that is interested.

- Anderson Ta

digifabindustries.blogspot.com
May 25, 2013 02:16PM
I would be interested in coming.
I want to learn as much as I can about the current state of the 3D printing technology and electronics that control 3D printers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login