Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie in the DC area...

Posted by Insomniak68 
Newbie in the DC area...
January 26, 2009 10:23PM
I'm fairly new to the RepRap project, and I'm attempting to build what amounts to a darwin style RepStrap, and I've managed to confused myself considerably in regards to the electronics used to control the device. As best I can decypher the project is in the middle of transitioning from V2 to V3 of the electronics and as such the RRRF has switched to stocking mostly the new boards and I can't seem to piece together the information I need from the wiki. I'm wondering if anyone would mind exchanging a little information with me to help me complete the construction of my RepStrap.

As a bit about my modifications to the project, mostly I'm building the Catesian Robot in a considerably beefed up way to enable higher-torque tool heads (A milling head is of equal concern to me as the Thermoplastic head.). The bot is being constructed from a combination of tubular and 90 deg angle steel, with the primary structure welded together. This moves toward a construction that requires additional skills, but offers the bonus of substantially increased strength while allowing an overall larger work space for the tool-heads.

I intend to drive the device with a Sanguino, and eventually plan to integrate a GumStix Single Board Computer with the device to offer a complete stand-alone machine. I also intend to document and openly release all of the work I put in, though it is mostly a re-hashing of information collected from countless sources online.

My biggest question currently, is trying to sort out which of the components who's PCBs are avaliable through RRRF are best to use for the device? Is it necessary for me to order the PCBs through a fabrication service or can I complete a machine with what Zach is selling?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can offer in this regard(especially someone local), and am open to discussion in person, or through any other means.
Re: Newbie in the DC area...
January 27, 2009 08:54AM
Hey Insomniak- I haven't looked at what electronics are available right now so I don't know which ones are in which state- are there specific ones on the rrrf site that you have questions about? If you want to take this up in email I'm happy to dig around some. Also, where are you located? The hacdc machine (in Columbia Heights) has all the electronics in a good state, it seems like they're around a lot and I'm sure they'd let you take a look. I'm in Arlington and my machine is working fine, I have scheduling and family issues but could probably arrange to demo the machine for you if the other things don't work out.
LMK,
Adam
January 27, 2009 10:42AM
Ahahn-

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm in Vienna and I'm building the bot at a friend's place this weekend in Arlington. I would love to see completed and functional machines if possible, as looking at this sort of thing is usually a huge help in my comprehension of it.

The questions I have with the electronics is mostly which of which devices do I need? The RepRap wiki gives a list of boards as making up the Gen2 electronics but the RRRF Store has several boards that are not listed and is missing several of those on the Gen2 list. I can only guess that some of the stuff in the store has been discontinued as you see some of the stuff on the detail pages for some of the boards and there are several mentions of a kit, but the links are dead.

My current guess is that the Beta Sanguino centered RepRap Motherboard, 3x Stepper Driver boards and 6 of the RRRF Store's Opto-EndStop kits should suit my needs, and I'm trying to understand the timelines of the various developments in the electronics for the RepRap project but it's a very complicated and confusing thing to me.

Do you have any idea if the MB, drivers and end-stops are a complete setup?
January 27, 2009 10:55AM
You only need 3 opto end stops- most of the designs currently only use the minimum stop and not the maximum. The reprap motherboard AFAIK is gen-3. You should just need 1) arduino or sanguino, 2) 3* opto endstops, 3) 1* dc motor driver (extruder motor) 4) 1* PWM driver (extruder heater) 5) 1* thermistor controller (forget the exact name, this is the temperature sensor for the extruder).
I think that's it. I'll think about it some more and post again later today.
HTH,
-Adam
January 27, 2009 01:50PM
Oh, and obviously the three stepper motor drivers, but I think that's it.
May 25, 2009 01:00PM
Just curious where your build stood with respect to a reprap capable of cutting attachments.

I am trying to decide what type of machine I want to build, and if I want to undertake the challenge of have a multi-tool cnc capable of 3d prototyping and also cutting tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login