Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bill of Materials and Plans

Posted by Demented Chihuahua 
Bill of Materials and Plans
November 25, 2007 01:16AM
I was asked to post for the extended (snicker) readership of the Klamath Falls RUG a few things about how I'm building my RepStrap and the things necessary.

I have the BOM attached bellow for what I'm doing for OIT. Keep in mind that this includes the stepper motors and such which I have gotten through other sources. The electronics portion is best gotten from here:

[parts.reprap.org]

Follow the steps on that, create an account with Mouser, import the BOM, order the parts listed, order the boards from the RRRF store, soldier the junk together!

For the Cartesian bot I would use longer pipe segments for the base than I have listed because you want your print area to be larger than mine. See the pictures bellow of my pipes and the finished frame as a reference. Those longer segments are 12" and the two mid-sized ones are 5" (one of them has an elbow attached to it in the parts picture). I would recommend two 15" segments for two of the 12" ones for the base and two 9" segments for the two 5" ones also for the base. That will give you a much larger working volume.

Also, ditch the plexiglass as a stage material and use plywood or some other such cheap stuff that you may have laying around. Plexi is too expensive and isn't really necessary.

I'm working on CAD files of the xyz stages so you know where to drill holes but I'm not sure when I'll be done. Zach should have them completed for his design of this but I haven't seen or heard of them. I have attached my CAD files of the extruder so that if you can mill things, you have the specs necessary. Very handy to have.

The electronics and the frame are good places to start because it gives you something to play with while you save up money and build other parts.

Also, getting your Ubuntu distribution up and running with the host-software is a must once you get some of the electronics going as you will want to start hooking things up and testing them.

Long post but that's about it. Enjoy!
Attachments:
open | download - Frame Components2.jpg (226.5 KB)
open | download - RepStrap With X-Stage Rails2.jpg (85.4 KB)
open | download - RepStrap BOM.xlsx (15.2 KB)
open | download - Millable Extruder Pieces.dwg (142.7 KB)
Re: Bill of Materials and Plans
April 08, 2012 12:59PM
Thanks for posting these! I'm particularly interested in the millable extruder parts. I downloaded them, but there were no heights indicated. Are they all the same height? If so, what might that be?
Thanks,
Thatcher
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login