The original Smartrapcore design used a bowden setup. They then decided it didn't work very well and was hard to get working properly and switched to the direct drive setup.
Can you post pictures of what you received that makes you say you have a bowden extruder? When I bought the Smartrapcore Alu kit, mine had a bowden hotend with a direct drive extruder. For me, it wasn't a big deal as I just printed a bowden setup and mount at work and had mine working that way.
Yea, and that extruder design isn't going to work without some heavy modifications. When I tried it, it coiled up the PLA and stuck it out the large diameter hole in the middle sideways. The extrusion path isn't tight enough and I think it might work with 3mm filament, it doesn't with 1.75 (or at least I never could get it to work with 1.75)
I'm trying not to complain until they have a chance to address my emails. But the kit as shipped to me is missing or has wrong versions of lots of stuff and I'm not happy. What I got is missing key parts to even make a functional printer.