Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartrap prints extremely slanted

Posted by joecarpita 
Smartrap prints extremely slanted
August 18, 2015 01:54PM
I built a Smartrap and I've mostly been using it to print smaller parts. I tried printing a large bracket, and I'm noticing something really odd. namely, the part prints at a very noticeable skewed angle. If you see that attached photo, you can see the noticeable angle in the print (the two walls should sit at 90 degrees from one another)

I tried re-exporting and re-slicing the part and I'm experiencing the same result. I did some googling and saw suggestions of turning down the speeds of the printer, I'm currently only printing at 25/mms, which is already down from the 30 I was originally using.

I'm convinced this is a software issue, as it repeats perfectly; and as I'm able to print smaller objects with no problem.

Any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1044.JPG (474.3 KB)
Re: Smartrap prints extremely slanted
August 21, 2015 12:58PM
Kind of looks like one of your axes isn't square to the other. Not familiar with this build, can you post some pics?
August 24, 2015 11:20AM
Your X axis, the one that goes moves the hot end front to back is not perpendicular with the Y axis which is what holds and moves the print bed. On the SmartRap the axis are reversed. The most liekly cause of the slanted print is your Z axis rods. It's very easy on the SmartRap to get them crooked. I know as I had one. This affects the X axis.

Place the SmartRap so that you can get a full view from above and extend the hot end all the way towards the front of the print bed. Look at the X axis rods and you will probably notice they are slanted either to the left or right. Grab onto the motor assembly that rides up and down the Z axis, and gently twist the assembly left or right until the rods are perpendicular to the print bed. You can prevent this from moving again by building supports for the Z axis. Thi what I did on mine.

Small prints may come out fine because the farther you move away from the center of your startng print area, the more noticable the angle.
August 25, 2015 03:11AM
rcjoseb & widespreaddeadhead -

You were both correct. My axis were not square, of course once it's pointed out it was really obvious! I suspect this was the result of a lot of moving around and transporting in the last few weeks. Thanks so much for the replies and the troubleshooting, thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login