Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie (in 3D printing world) building a SmartRap Core

Posted by Richard PV 
Newbie (in 3D printing world) building a SmartRap Core
July 10, 2015 05:21PM
I've decided to start with a SmartRap Core

Someone can tell me where can I buy the printed parts of this printer, last version 1.2.4 ? Currently I don't have access to a 3D printer.
At SmartFriendZ I only found this model, but apparently if for Smartrap (Not Smartrap Core)
[smartfriendz.com]

Also I have a big doubt about the printed parts of this printer? When I saw the stl files at
[www.thingiverse.com]
I didn't see the part that pulls and feed the the material, this is the extruder part, AKA "cold end", right? This part don't usually come with the printed parts? can I use any model? or where can I buy it?

Can I use thist as extruder maybe?
[www.ebay.com]
Also I have some doubts about how the extruder system works, since the cold end (extruder part) is not attached to the cold end, different from the majority printers .

I would like to start to buy the parts, maybe If you have any suggestions for the principal parts, that are new for me (printed parts, extruder cold end and hot) I'll appreciate your advices. For the other parts (motors, RAMPS, screws, etc) I think that wouldn't be a big problem that I find them by myself. I hope so.

Thanks for any help you can give me grinning smiley

Best regards,
Re: Newbie (in 3D printing world) building a SmartRap Core
July 10, 2015 07:32PM
Hi Richard:

Welcome to SmartRapCore World of Madness!

The SmartRapCore is customizable so that you can choose the thickness of the wood you want to use for the box. The correct place to find the 3D printed parts is on YouMagine.Com under the documents tab. Here is my video explaining how to use it and customize the parts: SmartRapCore I also have an entire video series on building it and a build log on wordpress My Build Log

The SmartRapCore uses a Bowden extruder where the motor for it and the 3D printed parts are usually placed somewhere off the printer or mounted to the side. The link you provided is for a Wades extruder which goes directly on top of the hotend. This is not used on the SmartRap so no printed parts are available. I do not recommend this type of extruder because of the added weight it places on the hotend carriage. In addition, you would have to print your own parts to support it. However, a Wades type extruder can still be mounted off the hotend but for that just use the bowden.

The 3D printed parts are available from SmartFriendz. You have to look for it under the SmartRapCore base kit. If you do not want to get it there, someone here may be willing to negotiate a fee for printing the parts.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Jose
July 10, 2015 10:02PM
I am in the same situation as Richard PV. I am just starting to look into bulding a 3d printer and really like what I have seen of the SmartRap core. Having the community here and rcjoseb's videos and web site definitely gives me the confidence that I won't be alone in the process! And I am finding the circularity fascinating. To build a 3d printer you need 3d printed parts...which I can't print smiling smiley
July 11, 2015 11:46PM
Looking at the picture on their website, I'm not sure that is a complete parts kit for 36 euro.

Where are you located? i'm in the US (Dallas)
July 12, 2015 01:21AM
thetazzbot
Looking at the picture on their website, I'm not sure that is a complete parts kit for 36 euro.

Where are you located? i'm in the US (Dallas)

That's true! They don't show all the parts.

I have found the pieces, for version 1.2.4 (the last one), here:
[github.com]

Also I have checked these set of videos, they show how to build all the printer:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

These videos are for a previous version, no the last v 1.2.4,
I watched all the videos, for that reason I noticed that all the parts are in GitHub (all the necessary pieces to build the printer) , some pieces have been merged in one, for the last version, but that makes the printer much more stable. I think that the best option is to print the pieces from Git Hub.

Also I noticed that there are no videos about how to build the last version, I'd be nice to make and upload them to youtube.

By the way I'm from Peru.

Best Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 01:33AM by Richard PV.
July 12, 2015 12:36PM
Since rcjoseb warned in his video series to only use the files at youmagine, I didn't even look at the github files. Looking at them now and the github files appear to be much more useful than the youmagine files. They have the stl files for complete plates as well as the individual components.
July 15, 2015 04:03AM
I believe those individual files are their production files for 8mm rods, 12mm walls.

Notes on printing.

It is recommended to print one part at a time, this helps with layer adhesion.
.2 or .25 layer height
I'm printing all the main parts right now, and some have pulled off the bed, so recommend using a brim (no raft).
You will need to run the parts through netfab to fix them, the slicer complains otherwise.
July 15, 2015 04:16AM
Also, the github source files and the youmagine files are not the same.

youmagine openjscad is 1.2.4 jun 17, the github has 1.2.3 jun 12 or something like that

do a file compare (winmerge) to see the differences.
July 15, 2015 12:34PM
It took 11 hours to print the essential parts on a PolyPrinter. I printed the Z components on one printer (3 hours) and the motor/bearing/X carriage/extruder/jhead parts on another (8 hours).

In retrospect it would take less time to mill them (not the Z riser) in aluminum on a Bridgeport mill :-/
July 18, 2015 06:02PM
rcjoseb
Hi Richard:

Welcome to SmartRapCore World of Madness!

The SmartRapCore is customizable so that you can choose the thickness of the wood you want to use for the box. The correct place to find the 3D printed parts is on YouMagine.Com under the documents tab. Here is my video explaining how to use it and customize the parts: SmartRapCore I also have an entire video series on building it and a build log on wordpress My Build Log

The SmartRapCore uses a Bowden extruder where the motor for it and the 3D printed parts are usually placed somewhere off the printer or mounted to the side. The link you provided is for a Wades extruder which goes directly on top of the hotend. This is not used on the SmartRap so no printed parts are available. I do not recommend this type of extruder because of the added weight it places on the hotend carriage. In addition, you would have to print your own parts to support it. However, a Wades type extruder can still be mounted off the hotend but for that just use the bowden.

The 3D printed parts are available from SmartFriendz. You have to look for it under the SmartRapCore base kit. If you do not want to get it there, someone here may be willing to negotiate a fee for printing the parts.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Jose

Hello rcjoseb .. watched your videos .. great stuff.. learned alot.. I was impressed with the printed linear bearing .. and would like to know how they are holding up... I have tons of steel 5/16 rod I would like to use.. and would need to print the bearings.. also on the site YouMagine.Com you mentioned is the Version 1.2.3 the best ... Thanks Mike
July 20, 2015 09:23AM
Hi Mike:

The bushing that I printed only lasted for a while and eventually I ended up with too much play. I switched everything out to actual LM8UU and LM6UU bearings. I beleve there have been some issues with the latest parts in regards to the bearings not fitting properly or the belts coming off the sliding bearing mounts but you would need to use them to see if you get the same issues. I am still using the V1.0.1 parts with no issues and have no intention of upgrading any time soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 09:26AM by rcjoseb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login