Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Djinn5150's SmartRap Core Build

Posted by djinn5150 
Re: Djinn5150's SmartRap Core Build
March 06, 2015 06:59PM
Looks Good! I can't wait to see the axis mocked up!

Put a coat of primer on it and some shelf paper.

Oh, Fish Tanks are cool too... My wife wants one, but we have to wait till we finish building our new house...
March 06, 2015 07:13PM
I hadn't even thought of the shelf paper, glad you are here to keep me on the ground mike lol, Yeah I have 7 tanks all in all it gets to be kind of a pain in the behind having so many, and almost all are planted tanks which just makes it all the more time consuming, but well worth the effort, I can watch my 55g in my front room all day long.
I must confess....bought the wood today to make the frame, same bin as the other stuff I have, just went to town cutting it and wouldnt you know...its 12.7mm so time to reprint some motor mounts and bearing mounts SMH.

Meh, I still think I want to paint it lol

Also I came across an old pc controlled relay board I am going to hack into a a light and fan controller sheild. I have plenty of open pins on the ramps board so why not use em
March 06, 2015 07:35PM
What ya thinking on paints? When I redid a Strat style guitar for a friend's daughter. I used duplicolor perfect match aerosol lacquer paint. They have a good choice of colors, and sprays well.

Edit: removed guitar pics to reduce thread clutter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 02:47AM by madmike8.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (45.4 KB)
open | download - image.jpg (22.3 KB)
open | download - image.jpg (31.5 KB)
March 06, 2015 08:54PM
Hi all!

I have just ordered all my bits for this printer and can't wait till they all come!

Just a quick question, how did you guys know how many bolts and screws etc to use for this build? Did yo work it out or is there a file somewhere?

And I ordered some parts from the smartfriendz website using the parts included in a pack as a BOM for the build. I've ordered 4 608zz and 12 LM8UUs and 3 of the GT2 belts. I'm planning on doing all 8mm XY and Z rods, is this enough bearings and belts?

Thanks
March 06, 2015 09:58PM
willera
Hi all!

I have just ordered all my bits for this printer and can't wait till they all come!

Just a quick question, how did you guys know how many bolts and screws etc to use for this build? Did yo work it out or is there a file somewhere?

And I ordered some parts from the smartfriendz website using the parts included in a pack as a BOM for the build. I've ordered 4 608zz and 12 LM8UUs and 3 of the GT2 belts. I'm planning on doing all 8mm XY and Z rods, is this enough bearings and belts?

Thanks

Hmm...Think Ill start a BOM for this pritner, anyway for the bearings my count was 10 608zz's 12 lm8uu's and the belts will vary, 5 M8 bolts, 4@40mm not sure on 5th its for the z top, belts and rods will vary depending on you build volume. Not sure how long the belts are on the smartfriendz site off hand but my build is larger and looks like I will require approx 4 meters of gt2. You will also need some way to fasten the mounts to the frame either wood screws or some m3 long enough to go through board and mounts. I am still very much a work in progress but being my 3rd printer build I just kind of go with the flow at this point,

Mike that is some awesome work on that guitar, I am taking the cheap route, grabed a can of 2 in 1 Rustoleum Mettallic aluminum, gonna spray the entire thing with that then will figure out the outside, lighting and fans....oh boy the list just keeps getting longer and longer lol. This one is going to be my final build I think so fundamentals need to be solid and I can upgrade printed parts as needed.
March 07, 2015 02:26AM
djinn5150
willera
Hi all!

Thanks

Hmm...Think Ill start a BOM for this pritner, anyway for the bearings my count was 10 608zz's 12 lm8uu's and the belts will vary, 5 M8 bolts, 4@40mm not sure on 5th its for the z top, belts and rods will vary depending on you build volume. Not sure how long the belts are on the smartfriendz site off hand but my build is larger and looks like I will require approx 4 meters of gt2. You will also need some way to fasten the mounts to the frame either wood screws or some m3 long enough to go through board and mounts. I am still very much a work in progress but being my 3rd printer build I just kind of go with the flow at this point,

Mike that is some awesome work on that guitar, I am taking the cheap route, grabed a can of 2 in 1 Rustoleum Mettallic aluminum, gonna spray the entire thing with that then will figure out the outside, lighting and fans....oh boy the list just keeps getting longer and longer lol. This one is going to be my final build I think so fundamentals need to be solid and I can upgrade printed parts as needed.

I think you will build more in the future, the bug has bitten.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
March 07, 2015 02:45AM
LOL... I'm going to have to agree with Regpye... I just finished my Funbot tonight. SmartCore next...
March 07, 2015 04:28AM
I need to make the Bom on thingiverse.. I know the screws detail ( ofcourse, i've made it. lol ) . It will be done thise week end .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
March 07, 2015 10:23AM
You guys are probably right, I am sure there will be more, but more will be additional, And most likely a delta, I will have done everything else so why not grinning smiley but I guess I was mostly refering to this "rebuild" being a final version if that makes sense, My current printer started as a Smartrap harvested parts from that to build my current Mix G1/Prusa i3 cross and now the SmartrapCore.

Look forward to it Serge. will be nice to see what I am missing lol
March 07, 2015 06:18PM
yeah a bom would be awesome, i've muddled together a parts list of what i thought i needed, but i think im gonna need some more 608zzs then if you guys used 10. I'm sure I looked the the smartfriendz website and it only said 4 x 608zz...ah well back to ebay smiling smiley

Serge, how well does the core print? is it easy to set it up once its been assembled or does it require some fiddling?
March 08, 2015 09:52AM
Yes i'm working on this BOM as fast as i can.. I see there is more interest than i would imagine ? it's great of course.

willera, i'm pro smartrapcore now I've built 2 or 3. More easy to assemble ( because we are working on a box ) , more easy to have it straight and square, less screws, and better result IMO ) .

It looks bigger but do'est take more space on the desk ( no extension) and it prints faster ( i'm around 80mm/s printing and 150mm/s moves).

well, you understand I'm pushing the core . Even i hope we will come back to the smartrap to go further witht he design.. I'm a little focused on the core right now.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
March 08, 2015 10:55AM
A BOM would be great. I look forward to seeing it.
March 08, 2015 01:36PM
yeah the reason why I chose this for my first printer was for the elegant simplicity of the design. Cant wait to see yours up and running Djinn! And I can see what upgrades I would like to it aswel. I think trying a dual extruder, with also that redesigned z axis bed support that i saw someone posted on thingverse, to have it supported at two ends rather than just the one.

Is it possible serge, for you to post a few pictures, even a video, of the things you have printed off the core? just want to see the quality and also how well it copes with overhangs and detail? I could only find one video of the core printing (a version 0.9 i think) on the internet.

Would be awesome if you could! smiling smiley keeps me ticking over in excitement untill parts come for my own smiling smiley
March 08, 2015 11:26PM
willera
yeah the reason why I chose this for my first printer was for the elegant simplicity of the design. Cant wait to see yours up and running Djinn! And I can see what upgrades I would like to it aswel. I think trying a dual extruder, with also that redesigned z axis bed support that i saw someone posted on thingverse, to have it supported at two ends rather than just the one.

Is it possible serge, for you to post a few pictures, even a video, of the things you have printed off the core? just want to see the quality and also how well it copes with overhangs and detail? I could only find one video of the core printing (a version 0.9 i think) on the internet.

Would be awesome if you could! smiling smiley keeps me ticking over in excitement untill parts come for my own smiling smiley

Do you have a link to the z-axis re-design? I did some looking but was unable to find it, I will have a new pic of the frame posted hopefully tommorow, with some part mock ups. Since I am awaiting belts and stripping my other printer down for this buiild I need to be 100% positive I will need no more printed parts before assembly time drinking smiley
March 09, 2015 07:31AM
yeah link to z-axis design:

[www.dropbox.com]

Looks pretty good, no additional steppers just a doubling of the z axis printed parts, longer axel to reach to the other side and a new belt.

taken from the comments section [www.thingiverse.com] from WayneO42

haha yeah that would be a major face palm.
March 09, 2015 10:06AM
Any ideas on the mods to make this an heated enclosure?
March 09, 2015 12:48PM
CptanPanic
Any ideas on the mods to make this an heated enclosure?

Shouldnt be that difficult, lexan door on the front and an additional box on top to allow room for bowden tube(unless you plan on running direct drive, then would just need a way to get filament into the box, Add your heater and controller of choice and you shoudl be golden.
March 09, 2015 03:46PM
The Z has to support the weight of itself, glass, heatbed, and at most 1kg of filament.

I think I'd rather use larger rods and a metal angle or T bracket attached to the Z carriage for support, than have a whole other side.

Something like this

or this

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2015 03:53PM by madmike8.
March 09, 2015 05:03PM
Yeah Mike I am not happy with an additional side either but think it can definately use some work, myself I also would like to switch to lead screw driven but I am torn, we will see how the belt goes, if it works for Serge it can't be all bad right?

Got a few steps closer too...paint could be better but I went cheap and lazy no sanding lol Bracket on the right will be how I mount my Wades, will do a mirror image on the left for second extruder, will print some spool holders to go on each side as well
Also toying with the idea of mounting the electronics on the backside of the upper crossmember. Not sure yet, it will make things difficult for connecting usb in the event I need to, If I figure my problems out with the rasberry pi and the hangs I have been having no worries grinning smiley

March 09, 2015 05:23PM
Looks Great! I like the badge and upper support too... Panel mount USB extension will fix you right up.

PANEL MOUNT USB CABLE - B FEMALE TO MICRO-B MALE
March 09, 2015 08:35PM
Looks great Djin smiling smiley very great.

You make me think i must design some flashy brand panel on this printer..we have space to do now smiling smiley

I will update the openjscad with some Z options ( screw and double Z ! ) , thanks to magilus on github smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
March 09, 2015 11:04PM
Thanks Serge, that upper support was just screaming for a badge grinning smiley

I know I mentioned it before but here is that relay board I was talking about....And afer a bit of reading on the schematic and documentation the relays are tripped on 5v so the ramps board can run this no problem, it has its own 12v input, Pretty sure I will add some part cooling and custom lighting, was planning on using rgb led strips to light the box so now I could in theory ad custom code to marlin to trigger well anything on the lights during print, grinning smiley Oh this is gonna be fun
8 channels of expansion awesomeness coming to a printer near me eye popping smiley

March 13, 2015 03:48PM
A little closer everyday might be printing by next weekend....
March 13, 2015 05:07PM
Looking good!

Question for you: The y-slide parts you have there, did you modify them at all from the ones available on thingiverse? If not, how well did the LM8UU bearings fit in it? I just printed them out last night and they seem like they'll be too small for the bearings.
March 13, 2015 05:25PM
The slide that holds the 608 fit fine, the x slide that holds the head were undersized for me, as well as the z slide, thought it might be my printer but maybe not. Going to use pla bushings undersized in their place
March 13, 2015 05:26PM
Oh and I used the jscad from youmagine to render parts
March 14, 2015 03:22PM

Little gloomy out today so here I sit passing time by working on my dual hotend mount, I know I said i would get it in jscad but I can barely manage working it in openscad, but if anyone wants to take a go at it, feel free the file can be found on my github fork

Also please any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I have yet to print this out.
March 14, 2015 04:25PM
Looks good to me.
March 15, 2015 03:56AM
Printed parts for the $30 3d scanner to give that a try, but tonight I started printing parts for the Smartrap Core for my laser project. No Z axis.
I'll start a new thread for it. But I'll be watching for hints and solutions on your build.
March 15, 2015 12:04PM
madmike8
Printed parts for the $30 3d scanner to give that a try, but tonight I started printing parts for the Smartrap Core for my laser project. No Z axis.
I'll start a new thread for it. But I'll be watching for hints and solutions on your build.

Nice let me know how that scanner works, was thinking of giving it a go. Really want to see your laser build, you know what hardware your going to use for the cutting end? Are you sure you want no Z i think you might need one even if its just minimal to adjust the focus of the beam for different thickness materials if I am not mistaken in my limited research in the matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login