Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin for SmartRap

Posted by regpye 
Marlin for SmartRap
May 14, 2014 08:10PM
Would anyone like to try out the new Marlin that has been modified for servo less auto bed leveling?
I have been testing it on my builds and found it to be really good.

Set your Z offset like normal and also all your own printer settings as usual.
This version of configuration.h has been setup for Printrboard, so change the board number 81 to board number 33 if you are using RAMPS (as most people are now)

There are some added commands also that you can add into your Pronterface as buttons.

Make a button "Repeat Test" and enter this as the command M48 x 100 y 100 n 10 v 4
Make a button "Repeat Test2" and enter this as the command M48 x 100 y 100 n 10 v 4 L 6
Make a button "16 pt Grid Test" and enter this as the command G29 n 4 T

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin for SmartRap.zip (416.9 KB)
Re: Marlin for SmartRap
May 15, 2014 03:23AM
Niceone, regpie

I'm going to try this.

Though please tell me a bit about the machine it runs on since i have to change my config to fishingline + nonservo. I see many differences to my current config.
Extruder is inverted, are your motors just wired diffrerent or do you feed in the opposite way, or is it a geared extruder?
Endstops look different.
Is your SmartRap configured with Y bed (original) or X bed? An image of the machine and an indication of X and Y would be nice?

I hope your hack get's me printing, i'm very close though the Z-offset drives me a bit insane. This firmware changes looks like i'm going to start all over again. :-)

I really need to get some printing going so that i can print the newer parts, My machine is starting to show the first wear issues.

Yes, I will find all the answers eventually, it just would take away a lot of guesswork.
This early stage prototyping is more intensive then I expected.

In my case this is definitely going to be a bit more work then just setting it to 33. But i'm sure it is the way forward. Thanks!
May 15, 2014 04:53AM
BackEMF
Niceone, regpie

I'm going to try this.

Though please tell me a bit about the machine it runs on since i have to change my config to fishingline + nonservo. I see many differences to my current config.
Extruder is inverted, are your motors just wired diffrerent or do you feed in the opposite way, or is it a geared extruder?
Endstops look different.
Is your SmartRap configured with Y bed (original) or X bed? An image of the machine and an indication of X and Y would be nice?

I hope your hack get's me printing, i'm very close though the Z-offset drives me a bit insane. This firmware changes looks like i'm going to start all over again. :-)

I really need to get some printing going so that i can print the newer parts, My machine is starting to show the first wear issues.

Yes, I will find all the answers eventually, it just would take away a lot of guesswork.
This early stage prototyping is more intensive then I expected.

In my case this is definitely going to be a bit more work then just setting it to 33. But i'm sure it is the way forward. Thanks!

My machines are almost identical to the original SmartRap, only changed to GT2 belts and beefed up the design a little here and there, so the setting is already in the configuration.h for that.
All the endstops are the same, motor wiring is the same too (you may have to change the direction on the plug, depends on how you wired it)
You will need to use a no servo head for the auto bed leveling, the servo type is not what this is designed for.

[regpye.com.au]
May 15, 2014 06:55AM
Thank you regpye,

I download it and check. I didn't have time to clean all the servo part, so it's great smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 15, 2014 07:26AM
smartfriendz
Thank you regpye,

I download it and check. I didn't have time to clean all the servo part, so it's great smiling smiley

The servo parts are still in there, just no used.
There has been a lot of extra code added and some changes too.
The new commands only work with this version and are very handy to have for checking.

[regpye.com.au]
May 17, 2014 11:02AM
Hi, can you help me?

Im trying to get it working, but I can't, somehow.
When loading your, or Smartfriendz Marlin, ewerything works fine, but when printer starts probing, then the nozzle after the probe is still lowered(like it was with servo version) I can't get it working.
Im probing about 3cm above my bed, so it's not hitting it. But when I would try to print, then it would broke something.

Anny idea?

Kamil.
May 17, 2014 11:48AM
Hi Kamil, did you put a Z lift command in your start section of the Gcode? Something like G1 Z5 F3000 to move the nozzle out of the bed after the probing? If you put that line after your G29 command, it will lift the Z axis 5 mm and then move on to the start point of the print.

Mark
May 17, 2014 12:15PM
Hi Mark, I have done it right after your post, but it still not work sad smiley
The Z axis will lift, but annyway lower to the bed level, and after this again a bit more
Now it's working.
Thanks a lot! smiling smiley

But I'm not sure is it good.
Adding the G1 command didn't changed annything, so I have added after a G92 Z0 command. Was it good decision?
Now my start G code looks like this

G28 ; home all axis
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
G29; autobed leveling
G1 Z5 F3000
G92 Z0

Edit.
Or maybe it's not working.. Ok, I made the Z offset, but when the print starts the nozzle is not changing the height like it should to the bed level.
What I mean is that my bed is higer at the front, and watching the printer from the side I can see that the nozzle is not moving like it should. Where on bed is good level, then the nozzle height is ok, but at higer front the nozzle is dragging the bed, and at lower back the nozzle is to high.

Anny idea what to do with this? Or it's ok?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 12:47PM by verteez.
May 17, 2014 06:44PM
verteez
Hi, can you help me?

When loading your, or Smartfriendz Marlin, ewerything works fine, but when printer starts probing, then the nozzle after the probe is still lowered(like it was with servo version) I can't get it working.
Im probing about 3cm above my bed, so it's not hitting it. But when I would try to print, then it would broke something.

Anny idea?

Kamil.

I had the exact same thing happen to me once and I found the problem. The problem was that the Z end stop (probe) was opened and caused by the position of the Bowden and the wiring. Their weight was holding the probe in an open position and once I re-arranged the weight and changed the length of the Bowden, the problem was solved. You may need to make some form of a support for the Bowden at the extruder end to give it a little support, similar to what Serge has done on the 4.7 version that is on YouTube now.

[regpye.com.au]
May 17, 2014 07:12PM
regpye
Would anyone like to try out the new Marlin that has been modified for servo less auto bed leveling?
I have been testing it on my builds and found it to be really good.

Set your Z offset like normal and also all your own printer settings as usual.
This version of configuration.h has been setup for Printrboard, so change the board number 81 to board number 33 if you are using RAMPS (as most people are now)

There are some added commands also that you can add into your Pronterface as buttons.

Make a button "Repeat Test" and enter this as the command M48 x 100 y 100 n 10 v 4
Make a button "Repeat Test2" and enter this as the command M48 x 100 y 100 n 10 v 4 L 6
Make a button "16 pt Grid Test" and enter this as the command G29 n 4 T

Further information can be found here
[3dprintboard.com]

[regpye.com.au]
May 18, 2014 03:50PM
regpye
verteez
Hi, can you help me?

Anny idea?

Kamil.

I had the exact same thing happen to me once and I found the problem. The problem was that the Z end stop (probe) was opened and caused by the position of the Bowden and the wiring. Their weight was holding the probe in an open position and once I re-arranged the weight and changed the length of the Bowden, the problem was solved. You may need to make some form of a support for the Bowden at the extruder end to give it a little support, similar to what Serge has done on the 4.7 version that is on YouTube now.

Thanks, it's now working, but it's inverted :/ When bed is high, the nozzle goes low, where bed is low, the nozzle goes higer, like in a mirror.
What in marlin I should change?

Anny help? I have done exactly like in RegPye post, but my leveling is still mirrored, and i don't know why :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 04:29AM by verteez.
May 19, 2014 10:39AM
You can invert the motors in the firmware in configuration.h

#define INVERT_Z_DIR false

If the Z axis is inverted then set it to true.
May 19, 2014 12:23PM
I know what's going in. The leveling works now correct, the problem is in bendind X axis.
When the probe make measurments close to motor, then it's good, but when it's moved far, then the X axis is bending up, giving the false Z height(lower than in real) at the front of my bed.

So, anny idea what to do with this? I have tried to use my hand and give it a bit presure, but it's not quietly exactly and there is about 1mm difference still.
Mayby I should somehow stronger the X axis, and let the hotend arm move more lightly? But how?

At least I know what's going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 12:24PM by verteez.
May 19, 2014 01:56PM
I probe in a smaller area where there is more support / less leverage. We are checking the slop of the bed, not micro-probing for imperfections in the surface. You can set this area in Configuration.h i think the resolution of the Z is enough to determin the overall slope of the bed from a smaller area like 40 x 40 or so.

Mark

Probing Area.

May 19, 2014 03:30PM
For me the movement was caused by how loose the bearings are being held. a couple of styrofoam strips between the bearings and the bearing clamp created more clamping pressure on the bearings. That helped this a lot.
May 19, 2014 03:38PM
Let's say that I have used a bit more hard methods than styrofoam, for the test xD

Ok, so now i get a bit better probing, but Im still playing with the nozzle height.
Aslo, got anny idea why after setting my probe points in merlin for
    #define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10
    #define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 100  //158
    #define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 100
    #define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10
the printer proobes the points around
    #define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 8
    #define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 98
    #define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 98
    #define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 8

?
May 19, 2014 04:45PM
verteez
{snip}

?

Your probe offset is at 2 mm?? Should be 0 if your not using the servo.

These lines in Configuration.h should look like -

// these are the offsets to the probe relative to the extruder tip (Hotend - Probe)
 #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0
 #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0
May 19, 2014 05:45PM
markstephen
verteez
{snip}

?

Your probe offset is at 2 mm?? Should be 0 if your not using the servo.

These lines in Configuration.h should look like -

// these are the offsets to the probe relative to the extruder tip (Hotend - Probe)
 #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0
 #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0

And they are seted like you say, that's why it's weird.
Now the printer just started to really act weird, while printing do spirall moves to the top xDDD I will try to download marlin again and then load. Maybe something acidentally get messed from all this changes.

Overal: my printer is not listening, the Z probes are in bad places and the Z offset is very hard to set.
I will try something around Thursday, after my last exam.
May 20, 2014 06:05AM
My auto probe area is now like this
#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 5
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 70
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 140
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 5

70 is right on top of the Y-rod in my case. (with the huxley hotend)
I left the z-offset at RegPye's setting since that worked 100% right for me. Isn't 4mm the average travel of the microswitches? 4mm minus the 0.2 first layer height is 3.8. And -3.8 is the setting of my z-probe offset.

Does this make sense or am I wrong about the 4mm of the microswitches? ...Just thinking out loud...
May 20, 2014 06:49AM
BackEMF
My auto probe area is now like this
#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 5
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 70
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 140
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 5

70 is right on top of the Y-rod in my case. (with the huxley hotend)
I left the z-offset at RegPye's setting since that worked 100% right for me. Isn't 4mm the average travel of the microswitches? 4mm minus the 0.2 first layer height is 3.8. And -3.8 is the setting of my z-probe offset.

Does this make sense or am I wrong about the 4mm of the microswitches? ...Just thinking out loud...

They are all different, I guess you were just lucky that my setting happened to match yours. I have several micro switches that are the same brand and model, but they are all slightly different when they trigger, although fairly close.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login