Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartrap X End Mount for J-Head Light Hotend

Posted by markstephen 
Smartrap X End Mount for J-Head Light Hotend
April 16, 2014 01:44PM
As mentioned in another thread, I have started on the design of a mount for the Ohio Plastics J-head Light. The STL mesh files along with the parametric CAD files (FreeCAD .fcstd format) are now posted on Thingiverse.

As noted, these parts have not been printed as I type and are unproven. It is therefor the purpose of this thread to document the development / refinement of the part and to come up with a working design. It may very well be that it will work "out of the box" but if anyone decides to print one and finds any flaws, please report back here so the mount can be improved.

It should be noted that the J-Head light has slightly different mounting dimensions than a standard J-Head. An adjustment in the radius for the OD and the grove OD of the barrel will need to be made to work with a standard J-head.

Mark

Again, the files can be found here -
[www.thingiverse.com]
Re: Smartrap X End Mount for J-Head Light Hotend
April 16, 2014 02:18PM
Great work !
As soon as I have finished my remix so will I try it.
April 16, 2014 03:38PM
thx mark,

I will try it here and adapt if necessary to standard j-head ?

Good work ! definitely

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
April 16, 2014 05:43PM
I'm going to try and print it tonight. Thanks Mark
April 16, 2014 05:59PM
madmike8
I'm going to try and print it tonight. Thanks Mark

Sure thing. Sense I'm new to 3D printers, watch the screw hole diameters and let me know if they need to be adjusted or if I need to add captures for nuts and the like. I currently am thinking that the screws should just thread in to the holes. Maybe start off with the New_jhead_X part first and test the screws in the holes. If their off, let me know and I'll make the adjustments and get the fixed files up right away. It's a simple thing to do with the CAD. Just enter a new constraint for the radius and run it through the mesh generator. If you didn't notice, those parts were meshed using a fine Mefisto mesh before being exported to .stl. winking smiley

Mark

Screenshot showing Mefisto mesh pattern.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 06:05PM by markstephen.
April 16, 2014 08:48PM
Printing now... I will let you know in a little while.
April 16, 2014 10:21PM
Everything looks good. M3 screws thread in and the 8mm Rod presses in tightly.

April 16, 2014 10:43PM
Wow, that looks like it printed out rather well. Good news for that part at least. But one things just hit me... I didn't make any provisions for the string or belt! Blast my hide! Looks like you will have to drill a hole in that one. What it needs is a recessed hole and a slot for clearance if a tyrap is used for a belt. Making the change now.
April 16, 2014 11:08PM
Done! Yeah... Guess I will have to drill a hole for the belt, but that's pretty easy.

April 17, 2014 12:30AM
That just looks fantastic. I just uploaded new, New_jhead_X.stl and New_jhead_X.fcstd files that include 2 holes to tie the string through AND provided a slot for a tystrap that should give clearance for the arm to move freely so long as the tystrap is not to thick... gave it 2.75 mm... so it should work OK.

Mark

April 17, 2014 01:38AM
great job.

mad mike was faster than me i see smiling smiley

I need print it and adapt for standard j-head ? so, if it's ok , i can update thingiverse with let version-no-servo . We will have our j-head model, thx to Mark smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
April 17, 2014 01:58AM
It's getting a bit late here, so if it would be OK, I'll do an alternative arm and retainer tomorrow for a standard J-head. The standard J-head is a bit shorter and should mount lower on the arm and the diameters are a bit different. That way, there will be arms that will cover most all lengths of J-heads. I believe the mounting height you have the original Smartrap J-head X end was a good height for the standard type and I'll design the arm to hold them at the same height.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 01:59AM by markstephen.
April 17, 2014 04:53AM
Hi Mark,

We do have time smiling smiley no hurry here.

Now i get free cad on my imac working well, thx to you smiling smiley

learning learning...

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
April 17, 2014 02:03PM
OK, got the arms and retainer that should work for the MK5 J-Head hotend. I did 2 versions of the arm, one for use with a push connect fitting and one for the use of a nut to hold the Bowden tube. I do not have one of these J-Heads, so use at your own risk. From what I can tell, they should work. Files are added to the Smartrap X End Mount For J-Head Light and MK5 repo on Thingiverse.

Mark

April 22, 2014 03:06PM
Almost there... Got the parts printed out, and made a couple of little changes, (I'll post them up on Thingiverse later on today). Have everything mounted and now I am stuck!

I can not seem to get the settings of the Z offset to work. when I give it the G29 command, it goes through it's probing just fine until the last probe. The z does not lift on it's move to start the print. The nozzle is drug across the plate until it reaches the beginning of the print then it lifts. Has anyone seen this? Any idea how to fix it?

Anyway, sense everyone likes to see pictures, here are a few more spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Mark

Printed parts with the current mods...

Added the fan mount for a 30mm fan to keep the mount and top of J-head cool.

Well, every fan needs a fan guard, so why not print one with my Spyderbreath logo. smileys with beer
It is the same spider that is on the custom boot screen.

All mounted and ready to go... Almost... once i can get the thing to stop draging the nozzle across the plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 03:09PM by markstephen.
April 22, 2014 03:55PM
Great Job Mark. I have a bunch of those fans I pulled from HD caddies. Guess I have more to print now lol...

My current Z offset routine is...

Mark a spot on the bed
Move the Nozzle to that spot and lower till it touches.
Raise till I can get a piece of paper under it.
Zero Axis (G92 X0 Y0 Z0)
Raise Hotend 20mm
Lower Probe (M401)
Place probe back over mark on bed
Lower Z until Endstop triggers (Check with M119)
Get Location of Axis (M114 should show something like X:30.2 Y:25.8 Z:15.2)
Set Z Offset (M555 Zx where x is the Z value from the line above ie M555 Z15.2)
Raise Probe (M402)
Store Value in EEPROM (M500)

Disregard the raise/lower probe part since you don't use the servo...

Sometimes I find that the RAMPs will do weird things. I usually reset the RAMPS and Disconnect/Reconnect the Arduino. It usually fixes it.
April 22, 2014 04:23PM
OK, are you saying you do this bed leveling once, set and forget, instead of running the G29 at the start of every print? Humm, maybe I could add a Z lift after the G29 to the start Gcode? I'll give your method a try first and see how it goes.

Mark
April 22, 2014 06:32PM
You have to give the firmware an offset for the Z probe. So it knows the distance from the probe to the tip of the nozzle. If you haven't set the offset it might be part of your problem.
April 22, 2014 07:05PM
Well, it looks like a simple G1 Z5 following the G29 in the starting Gcode did the trick. No more dragging the head across the plate. Still, the firmwair should take care of this... Only I suck rocks at programming and just can't figure out where or how to add that in. Going to try a new print here in a bit and I'll let everyone know how the new J-Head X mount works.

Mark
April 23, 2014 01:27AM
Just ordered the J-head lite V2. Hope to start getting #2 built soon.
April 24, 2014 04:11AM
OK, just got the new versions up on Thingiverse. You can check them out there. Haven't uploaded the CAD files, but I'll get them as soon as I get them cleaned up. The Left hand model works a treat!

One of my fellow FreeCADers has written a nice CuraEngine plugin for FreeCAD and for now, has what looks to be the last bug out of it. So I modeled up a fan duct to keep the air off the hot side of the hotend, clicked on the plugin, produced the Gcode and printed. nice to only have to have one piece of software open to design and print something.

Anyway, here's a pic of that still stuck to the glass and the new Left hand X mount on my Smartrap. All I need now is to go into town and pick up a grub screw so the head won't have to travel as far to trip the switch.

Mark

Notice how straight it is... and all but hidden underneath is the bushing I printed to replace a bad bearing. Working great.

Now we can do some printing. smiling bouncing smiley

Left Arm and mount.

April 24, 2014 04:24AM
No mark, the code you saw here is for slic3r config and it's payed each print ( probe 3 points, then go up a little to prevent to scratch the glass, then go back to 10,10 then start print). The all process takes 30 secondes, which is not long compared to a full print ? ( mine are around 1 to 2 hours long usually as i print Smartrap plates).

Congrats for the j-head model. it's really cool. I will point to it in thingiverse when i update ? so people have a way to use the last version ( no servo) with j-head .

You save me lot of design time..that's so good smiling smiley thx again

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
April 24, 2014 04:41AM
Well, I'm using the start code you provided in the CuraEngine plugin and it's working great. Thank you again!

I only have one lingering problem now that I can't seem to figure out how to fix. All my prints are mirrored on the X. I have to mirror in my CAD or slicer to get the prints to come out right. Have you or anyone else experienced this and if so, what do i need to do to fix it?

Mark
April 24, 2014 08:06AM
Mark, do you mean mirrored left to right (X) or front to back (Y). I had a front to back mirror when I built mine. It was easy enough to swap the direction in the Marlin firmware, but Getting the endstop part of the code to work was a struggle. I'll get my configuration.h and pins.h posted later today.

Edit: Here's the files.

Configuration.h

pins.h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 08:45AM by madmike8.
April 24, 2014 11:29AM
Yea Mike, mirrored X, left to right. I'll take a look at the two files and see if I can get it to go. I wonder why this happens? What did we do differently that brought this on?

Mark
April 27, 2014 01:19AM
Uploaded a video showing the J-Head No Servo mount is action.

Still haven't got the mirroe problem worked out. Last attempt at it, must of done something real wrong because I ended up having to start over from scratch to get the machine running again. eye popping smiley Maybe I'll make another run at it tomorrow. It really shouldn't be this hard.

Mark
April 27, 2014 03:01AM
Cool Video, works like a Charm!

From what I recall on the mirror problem... Changing the motor direction is easy enough, either turn the plug around or in Configuration.h change the
#define INVERT_X_DIR from true to false

Then you need to Change your Homing Direction by changing
#define X_HOME_DIR from -1 to 1

Now if you try it, it might not home, so you need to remark (add //) to this line
#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

Then in pins.h under the Arduino Mega pin assignment
There are 2 places to set the X Pins one is under #if MOTHERBOARD == 77
But we are using Motherboard 33, so we need to change the ones under the #else statement
change
#define X_MIN_PIN change the 3 to 2
And
#define X_MAX_PIN change the 2 to 3

Then, I think you'll be up and running... Hopefully...
April 27, 2014 06:48AM
Cool video indeed Mark smiling smiley

I will update really soon on thingiverse now. Thx again. i will just link to your model for the j-head version ! congrats smiling smiley

It's funny to see how close and clones are our smartraps . haha. Same look, same noise, funny smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
April 29, 2014 01:43AM
Just did a new update to the Right and left J-Head Light Arm. I made the fingers a little longer and wider / a bit more robust as the orignal was just a bit off if the print was not perfict. So with error on the side of caution as soon as I'm done typing here, I'll be uploading the updates to Thingiverse. I think you can see what was done by comparing the new version below to the second pic in this post.

Mark

May 01, 2014 06:47PM
Got my filament in! I'm printing Leftie today. Got my Jhead Lite V2 ready to drop in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login