Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x-motor-bracket mod

Posted by ormerod168 
x-motor-bracket mod
December 03, 2017 09:54AM
Was trying to print the x-motor-bracket in ABS but had a hard time preventing it from lifting the corners, so re-designed it for easier printing (cutting the corners) and while I was at it, opened the belt tunnels a bit as the belt was dragging

also made a stronger z-bearing-clamp with four screw holes, to use these you will have to drill four extra holes in the x-arm, just print the z-motor-bracket first and use is as drilling template
..and cut the corners of Bobtidey's z-nut mod to make it fit in nicely with the x-motor-bracket mod

Please note that I cut of the arm for the sensor, so you will have to glue one on, or as I did, mount one using the micro switch screw holes

For me this printed just fine, no lift, setting was:
layer height 0.24
bed temp 120C
nozzle first layer 135C 235C, next 130C 230C
infill 30%
2 perimeters, 3 bottom solid layers, 5 top solid layers

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 01:35AM by ormerod168.
Attachments:
open | download - x-motor-bracket_mod.zip (165.7 KB)
Re: x-motor-bracket mod
December 06, 2017 01:36PM
I had the same issue when I printed the original X motor bracket.
ormerod168
[your first picture]

I like your design very much and I will print it, but I dont have time now to mount it now..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 01:37PM by Sardi.
December 06, 2017 03:42PM
Sardi
I had the same issue when I printed the original X motor bracket.

Cutting the corners seems to do the trick, also raising the bed temperature from 110 to 120C might have helped - forgot to note the print was on Kapton tape sanded with P400
..and remember to scale up a bit if ABS, 0.6% for the filament I use at the moment

Erik
December 13, 2017 03:31AM
Hey Erik, could you make the z nut mod extended?
Like this one
Im using a long M5 nut.
December 13, 2017 10:48AM
Sardi
Hey Erik, could you make the z nut mod extended?
Like this one
Im using a long M5 nut.

Hey Sardi, here you go - it's the original from link modified to fit the x-motor-braket mod

Erik
Attachments:
open | download - z_nut_trap_extended_b_mod.stl (292 KB)
December 13, 2017 11:01AM
Thank you very much for that, much appreciated! smileys with beer

I will print the parts within the next few days, and mount it somewhere around next week.
April 07, 2018 09:58AM
That looks just amazing Erik!
I have been having problems with the Z-Clamps as when printing in the heat chamber the X-Arm keeps dropping by 0.1mm increments as the ABS flexes in the heat.
So..
I decided to make my own Z-Clamps from Aluminium and it came out great!
Now that I got everything back together the one LM12UU bearing SPLIT one of the balls inside it.

I have also contemplared remaking this X-Motor bracket from Aluminium since the force from the bolt and nuts crushes the plastic. After pillarbedding my hunting rifle I got the idea to rather use aluminium pillars instead of remaking the whole bracket out of aluminium.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20180407-WA0090.jpg (119.5 KB)
open | download - IMG-20180407-WA0089.jpg (110.7 KB)
April 08, 2018 08:07AM
Karoo Klong
I have been having problems with the Z-Clamps as when printing in the heat chamber the X-Arm keeps dropping by 0.1mm increments as the ABS flexes in the heat.
So..
I decided to make my own Z-Clamps from Aluminium and it came out great!

Nice! - how high do you run the temperature in the chamber? - and do you cool the Duet?

Now that I got everything back together the one LM12UU bearing SPLIT one of the balls inside it.

Must have been a really bad quality bearing

I have also contemplared remaking this X-Motor bracket from Aluminium since the force from the bolt and nuts crushes the plastic.

I don't have that problem but then I'm not using a heat chamber because Al Gore said many moon ago that it's not needed as Climate Change, the artist former known as Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming will take care of that very very soon, maybe next Thursday :-))

...and I printed the bracket with 3 perimeters and a lot of infill

After pillarbedding my hunting rifle I got the idea to rather use aluminium pillars instead of remaking the whole bracket out of aluminium.

Yes tube pillars (or would you call that spacers?) around the bolts would make it rock solid and easy to implement modding the bracket by opening up the bolt holes to a press fit for the spacers, great idea! - aluminium crush easily so maybe steel or stainless steel would be a better choice to keep the dimension down and inside the perimeters of the bracket

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login