Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r keeps crashing

Posted by tim_h 
Slic3r keeps crashing
July 17, 2017 05:01PM
I've revived my ormerod v1, which has sat idle for a while. Recently I have started to print some more complex pieces, often requiring support material. I had previously avoided parts requiring support, but am now printing parts for my RC planes and quadcopters.
I'm using slic3r and find that the software often crashes during generating gcode operation when support material is needed. If I persevere it gets there in the end, but I'm wondering if there are other options to use instead?
What do other people use?

RS Ormerod #472
Re: Slic3r keeps crashing
July 17, 2017 05:17PM
I can confirm the Slicer crashing on (somewhat) bigger models. Sometimes it crashes even on simple "normal" models. I guess its just the way it is, although most of the times I manage to export the gcode without problems, sometimes (depending on the size of the model) it takes a few tries till it exports.

Maybe try just to let it work even if the program grays out as not responsive, just give it a couple of minutes, maybe it will start working (sometimes the gcode is still being generated).

Also check under Print settings -> Quality if the Avoid crossing perimiters is checked - if it is, uncheck it and then try exporting gcode. Ive read that that option can slow down the gcode generation a lot.

With Slicer I also use Cura (but the old version 15.04.6. I still find it easier to use, and more simple than the new Cura 2 software.
July 17, 2017 05:49PM
Thanks, it is actually crashing, and bringing up the windows error message. Could you post your cura settings for the ormerod?

RS Ormerod #472
Attachments:
open | download - Slic3r crash.png (82 KB)
July 18, 2017 04:05AM
The 1.20 series of slic3r is indeed prone to crashing. Try the newer Prusa edition of slic3r.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 18, 2017 01:00PM
Thanks David, I'll give the prusa edition a go. Hopefully I can copy the settings across from Slic3r.

RS Ormerod #472
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login