Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cant connect to Ormerod at all

Posted by Sardi 
Cant connect to Ormerod at all
April 03, 2017 11:38AM
So today I changed my bed support plane to aluminium and as of that moment I cant access the web interface.

I connect all the wiring together (thermistor, bed), want to do some aligning annnnnd no.

I have tried with different lan and usb cables. I usually run it without the usb cable connected, but when I do connect it all I get is that windows sound - "usb connected" / "usb disconnected" - and it goes on and on forever. (once it recgonized it as arduino at com4, but after a few minutes it disconnected it again) Also, when I connect the usb cable the red led on the board lights up, as does the green led on the lan connector. Ardui

I tried changing the ip address. I had reset the motherboard every time I took the sd card out and back in.
My settings are

M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
M552 P192.168.1.140 ; IP address
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Netmask
M554 P192.168.1.1 ; Gateway

on the sd card, and 192.168.1.150 / 255.255.255.0 on the laptop lan adapter.

However, this shouldnt be an issue since it worked all good this morning.

I tried with another laptop, didnt change a thing.

I had this issue before, but then I would just disconnect the lan cable, turn off the power and let it be for a couple of minutes, after that it would work.

Arduino is installed, but since the usb isnt recgonized by my laptops, I cant access anything via Arduino.

So what did I try so far: different usb(3 cables)/lan(2)/laptop(2)/ip(3 differend ips)/sd card(2).

No more ideas what to try.

EDIT: as soon as I plug the usb cable into my laptop, the "usb not recgonized" jumps out.

EDIT2: As I keep the "Network and sharing center" window open, and then press the "reset" button on the duet board - nothing happens. It usually breaks/resets the lan connection, but now, Its as I didnt press anything, it just stays connected.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 04:56AM by Sardi.
Re: Cant connect to web interface
April 03, 2017 12:19PM
Which firmware version are you using? Do the LEDs on the Ethernet connector light up when you plug in the LAN cable?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 03, 2017 12:26PM
dc42
Which firmware version are you using? Do the LEDs on the Ethernet connector light up when you plug in the LAN cable?

Im still at your FW 1.09r (didnt get to upgrading it yet).
Yes, all the leds light up. The green one by the lan on the duet board, the white one on my laptop, even the red led for usb when I plug it in the laptop.
April 03, 2017 03:55PM
Sardi
As I keep the "Network and sharing center" window open, and then press the "reset" button on the duet board - nothing happens. It usually breaks/resets the lan connection, and I see in the "Network and sharing center" how a new connection is being set up, but now, Its as I didnt press anything, it just stays connected.

I think the board is somewhat malfuncioned here. The above mentioned is a sign though. Or the card reader on the board is not working any more and its not reading config.g file so it does not know of its ip address.
April 03, 2017 04:03PM
You can find the IP address by sending M552 from USB or PanelDue.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 03, 2017 04:18PM
UPDATE:

I have managed (with nothing done by me) to connect the board to laptop via both usb and lan, and its shown in the device manager as com5.

However, I still cant connect to web interface, and I dont know how long this usb connection will last.

I have opened the serial port in Arduino and after a few minutes still no msg "firmware is up and running".

Tried sending some commands like M105, but no response, when I click send, the command just dissapears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2017 04:24PM by Sardi.
April 03, 2017 04:43PM
dc42
You can find the IP address by sending M552 from USB or PanelDue.

Thats not the problem, I know what the ip is, I took the card out and put the ip into config.g. Its everything after that that doesnt work.

I managed to get the board recognized in Device Manager for a short time, now Im back at usb device not recognized.

But even for that time I couldnt send any commands via arduino control panel although it was there at com5.
April 03, 2017 05:05PM
Managed to get it connected in Arduino by switching usb cables (Ive got 4 on me atm), atx also on. Sending an M105 gives me ok T:B:109.9.

It got disconected again, now I just hear the windows sound for "usb disconnected" every 20 seconds or so. Device manager still shows Arduino Due at COM3, but he isnt really there.

EDIT:

When I take the SD Card out and put it in my laptop, it always asks for "scan and fix" of the sd card.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2017 05:08PM by Sardi.
April 03, 2017 05:41PM
I cleaned the sd card and usb slots on the board a bit, and this time it lasted a few minutes connected to the laptop. I managed to send a few commands via arduino.

M105 and M115 came out good.

M503 got me only "co".

Managed to get it connected again, this time I changed the SD card and now Im getting only first two letters after a command. It was connected for a while, then I reset the board and it went back to "USB not recognized".

M115 gets FI, M503 gets Co

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2017 06:39PM by Sardi.
April 04, 2017 04:51AM
It stays connected to laptop and recognized by device manager and arduino for a couple of minutes before disconnecting by itself.

After that I get windows "usb disconnected" sound every 20-25 seconds, the device manager still shows arduino due at COM, but Arduino doesnt show it at Tools -> Port.
However, while its still shown in device manager, I do disable/enable arduino due at COM and it is back at Arduino Tools -> Port

All the leds are lit, red one for usb, green one for lan.

Regarding the commands that I send via serial monitor, its the same as above, for M105 I got "ok T:B:109.1", but for M503 its only the first two letters of the config.g - "Co", as is for the M115 -"FI".

When I get bored of that, I press the reset button on the board, and after that its only "usb disconnected" sound accompanied with "usb not recognized" msgs from the win7 notification area.

Im thinking about flashing the firmware via bossac cmd, but Im totally afraid that something goes completly wrong and Im left with an flashed board with no fw and no way of installing it back.

EDIT:
The "CO" might also stand for Configuration file not found. Which is not possible, the config.g is most certanly there.

Might be that the card reader on the board has malfunctioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 05:52AM by Sardi.
Re: Cant connect to Ormerod at all
April 04, 2017 05:59AM
Config.g attached.
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (1.9 KB)
April 04, 2017 07:09AM
As I understand it, it was all working until you changed the bed. It is therefore unlikely to be a firmware or configuration issue.

My guess would be that your bed heater or thermistor is shorting to the frame and causing spikes or noise that crash the Duet, or maybe the hotend wiring was disturbed. Try unplugging the bed heater and thermistor at the Duet and see whether the problems disappear, and if not do the same with the hotend heater & thermistor. If you have the version that uses a ribbon cable for the bed heater & thermistor, be very careful when you replace it that it is plugged back in correctly - mis-aligning by a pin will blow the Duet immediately.

Dave
April 11, 2017 12:22PM
No change.

I have disconnected the ribbon cable, turned the printer on - I get windows sound "usb connected" after 3 seconds "usb disconnected".

I have disconnected bothe the ribbon cable and hotend heater and thermistor - same result as above.

No port in device manager.

EDIT:
I took the board away from the printer for a closer inspection and found this

Funny thing is, this malfunction didnt stop the printer from being detected for a while by device manager..

Well, I guess Im gonna go and order myself a new board..
April 11, 2017 12:38PM
If L7 is blown then you had a short between a 12V/24V connection (e.g. heater or fan) and a thermistor connection. You need to fix that, or it will happen again.

April 12, 2017 10:24AM
With all my trying to see whats wrong with my board, this was wrong all along.. will recheck all my connections before the new board arrives.
April 15, 2017 09:28AM
I just got my new board.

While I was trying out many things to see whats wrong with my printer I didnt use any connectors to connect my bed thermistor wires, so I connected them live to the ribbon cable without any shielding.

My thought is that among all my tryouts to see what happened and moving things about, these two wires touched each other (or the metal frame) and caused the board to overload and burn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 09:29AM by Sardi.
May 02, 2017 09:45AM
I upgraded to the new Repetier 2.0. Immediately afterward I was not able to web connect to my printer. So I uninstalled it. However, that did not work. I did smell some burning electronics but didnt really think about it. I am wondering if this can happen again in my Duet 0.6. I printed an object without duet web control fine. I just used my PanelDue to print. Does the L7 circuit have something to do with web connection/ ethernet port on the Duet 0.6? If so and I fried my system, I guess I will be buying a duet wifi
May 02, 2017 03:42PM
You printed something AFTER the smell of burning electronics?
May 02, 2017 04:47PM
L7 has nothing to do with the Ethernet port. L7 connects analog ground to digital ground. It will burn out if you get a short between 12V and the ground side of any thermistor. Sadly, such shorts appear to be quite common.

May 02, 2017 07:32PM
Sardi
You printed something AFTER the smell of burning electronics?

Yes sadly. I did the same thing when I fried my RAMPS board.

And now with a Duet I smelled it but the levelling was perfect and the prints were coming out so nice. I didnt want to take apart the leveled heat bed to get to the electronics. So now I will have to check and see why I cannot connect to my printer via the web interface. Again, Im able to print from the printer itself via the paneldue. But not via web interface.
May 02, 2017 07:33PM
dc42
L7 has nothing to do with the Ethernet port. L7 connects analog ground to digital ground. It will burn out if you get a short between 12V and the ground side of any thermistor. Sadly, such shorts appear to be quite common.

I will have to take apart my printer and see if I find any fried electronics. If I see nothing then I can only assume my config file got messed up?
May 03, 2017 04:28PM
Took apart the printer today. No fried L7. However, the ground to the EO hotened was a little burnt. It still works but I could tell that is where the burnt electronic smel was coming from. Does the EO ground Hotened connect somewhere to the ethernet line? I noticed that my ethernet line blinks only green. There is no orange receive signal coming in? Any ideas anyone?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login