Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod 2 design source

Posted by VortyZA 
Ormerod 2 design source
January 27, 2017 01:11AM
I've got two Ormerod machines, and I'm wanting to upgrade my Ormerod 1 to 2, however there are a couple of tweaks I'd like to make in the process.
The problem is that the Solid Works design files for the Ormerod 2 seem to be incomplete on the github. It's also missing some things like the X axis dxf files and the standard nozzle mount (only has the quickset).
The Ormerod 1 had an "Ormerod" assembly - is there a complete Ormerod 2 assembly file available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 01:11AM by VortyZA.
Re: Ormerod 2 design source
January 27, 2017 10:20PM
Yes - check tag "528.4" on Github: [github.com]

I believe 528.5 contains minor revisions but was not organised completely before RepRapPro closed down.
January 30, 2017 08:28AM
Many thanks, I totally missed that! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 08:29AM by VortyZA.
February 12, 2017 08:51PM
Boooo! I'm still miffed at the fact that they chose to do the logical thing and close shop.

If you download the ormerod solidworks parts from github remember to grab their reprappro library with all the shared parts like screws, washers et cetera.
There is also a few improvements on thingiverse - if you search for "ormerod" - that i'd recommend, like the x and y axis belt tensioners
February 13, 2017 09:32AM
Some challenges in the upgrade process so far:
The cable lengths are not the same because of the new position of the Y motor and end stop.
I'm not convinced yet that the ribbon cable arrangement will work with the new bed design.
The Power supply and electronics should ideally be on the Y max side like the Ormerod 2, but it's a little tricky to do and I haven't found any mount designs - I'll have to make my own.
The Power supply also doesn't have many mounting points.
Anyone else done this upgrade?
February 13, 2017 03:07PM
The powersupply and motherboard on the ormerod 2 are clustered together with bent aluminium and laser cut acrylic. Looking at it right now i'd be hesitant to recommend "just" printing a holder for the power supply since its used to stiffen the z axis.
From what i can gather the y motor cluster of cables are longer on the first version and thus can be cut to length. Yeah you'll have to make new wires, buy a dupont crimp tool while you're at it.
If you're interested in going with the ormerod 2 look eMaker shop sells the powersupply and other reprappro tidbits still.
Re: Ormerod 2 Quick set nozzle
March 10, 2017 05:46AM
Hi, Does anyone know where I can buy a quickset nozzle kit for my ormerod 2? I have searched and all the sources say "no longer stocked" Help please?
Dave
Re: Ormerod 2 Quick set nozzle
March 10, 2017 06:54AM
Hi Dave,

We have both 0.5mm and 0.3mm Quick-set nozzles available here.

Let me know if there are any other parts you need and I can see if we have them or let you know where to source them.

Best wishes
Sally

Sally Bowyer
RepRap Ltd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login