Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament to narrow to extrude

Posted by Sardi 
Filament to narrow to extrude
January 25, 2017 01:50PM
So I just received a new spool of white pla 1.75 filament made by FilamentPM from Chech republic and I couldnt get it to extrude properly.

Issues were following:

- file was printed, but with bad surface and not in the complete height it was made in (web interface shows all 11/11 layers were printed so its not the problem in the file)
- extruder starts pushing the filament through the hot end, but once it gets there it does not go out
- I cleaned the nozzle, checked for debris in the bowden tube an the nozzle, and the extruder - everything clean as a whistle
- I increased the temp to 220 (never before did I print so high with no help, normally I use white from BQ and it prints as low as 170 (for second layer) and 185/190 for first layer
- When retracting I checked the part of the filament that was last in the contact with hobbed insert to see if it was worn out from the rotation since it was stuck in one place - no worn
- checking with the calipers freaked me out even more, I measured at a few different places and they were all arr 1.75 (+/-0.5)
- I can retract it with no issues, but cant extrude ..

So how I found out whats wrong?
Manual inspection by hand .. as it is, in the first few meters there were 2 segments of filament that were 1.1mm wide and about 5-7cm long, how this happened I dont know, but there it is. When that part got to the hobbed insert, the insert couldnt grab it and nothing was extruded. (and thats why it could retract but not extrude)

As I never had such an issue with any spool so far I was wondering, if anyone had this sort of situation with the filament before?
Re: Filament to narrow to extrude
January 25, 2017 02:48PM
That some bad fillament ,where did it come from? I suggest you contact the store you bought it from and make a refound ,either they send you a new spool or money back. And never buy from them again , I have some which will vary between 1.68-1,75mm but never that bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login