Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod IDEX

Posted by dc42 
Ormerod IDEX
October 21, 2016 12:05PM
Now that I have added IDEX (independent dual X carriage) support to RRF, I am wondering whether I can convert my dual-extrusion Ormerod to IDEX. I am thinking along these lines:

- Use a modified version of DaveK's aluminium X arm, with a second X motor mounted on the opposite side and a little higher or lower than the first. One of the motors would have to be held in place by 3 screws instead of 4.
- Two X belts, one above the other.
- Modify the printed parts that join the X-rod and X-arm together at each end, to increase the spacing between them and make room for the extra belt.
- Two different variants of the X carriage, one to engage with each belt without fouling the other.
- A microswitch mounted at the end of the X arm, for homing the second carriage.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to improve on this scheme?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Ormerod IDEX
October 22, 2016 07:39AM
Maybe you should catch the x-arm at the opposite direction. I think the additional weight could be too high so the Ormerod may even tip over.
It sounds interesting and if this works for you I may change my Ormerod 2 in that way.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 29, 2016 08:20AM
dc42
Now that I have added IDEX (independent dual X carriage) support to RRF

Nice! (had to look that up)

[www.youtube.com]

I am wondering whether I can convert my dual-extrusion Ormerod to IDEX. I am thinking along these lines:

- Use a modified version of DaveK's aluminium X arm, with a second X motor mounted on the opposite side and a little higher or lower than the first. One of the motors would have to be held in place by 3 screws instead of 4...

...Does anyone have any suggestions for how to improve on this scheme?

Not really - you could also place the extra motor on the same side, behind the original (in the -X direction), a little higher or lower, to the keep the center of mass (whats left of it) over the threaded rod..

..or place it vertical on top of the original and use a couple of extra pulleys to direct the belt lower and parallel with the original

BTW, your Duet and PanelDue firmware is running beautifully, thank you!

Erik
October 29, 2016 08:48AM
Good point about the centre of mass - I hadn't considered the position of the centre of mass in the Y direction. Mounting the second motor behind the first X motor and shifted up a little sounds good. The BigBox IDEX uses Nema 14 motors for the X carriage, so I could go that route. The 14HS13-0804S Nema 17 motor provides 18Ncm torque for 190g mass, compared to 22Ncm and 230g for the standard Ormerod motors, so it should be a suitable replacement,

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 01, 2016 05:54PM
Hi dc42

Knowing that IDEX support is now in your firmware is really great news!

How about putting the extruders somewhere else and having a second rod on the other side?
Thus it might even be possible to keep the lenght and position of the first rod and more important
the size of the X-arm.

I guess i have to complete my other printer design to be ready to change my Ormerod to IDEX.
But my near fiasco with my dual head print conversion keeps me a little reluctant...

Best regards
Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login