Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question before first print

Posted by brlowe 
Question before first print
June 27, 2016 10:04AM
I'm ready to try my first test print and I want to make sure if I stop it or let it finish what do I need to do to make sure the nozzle gets cleared and does not end up plugged?
Also if it gets plugged is there any way to clear them?

***EDIT ***
Do I turn the heaters on before selecting to print something or do they eat up automatically before the print starts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 10:25AM by brlowe.
Re: Question before first print
June 27, 2016 11:18AM
Usually, in my start code in slic3r, I have it turn on the heat and wait for temperatures before homing axis and such. Its probably personal preference, but you could always manually home the axis, turn on your heats, and then just have your gcode contain the commands to print but I prefer to let it spend more time with a "self" setup before every print.
June 28, 2016 07:48AM
Usually the G-code will contain the instructions that make the printer wait for the bed & nozzle to reach the correct temperature. If you have sliced your own G-code you should put suitable commands in the custom start code so that it does so, if you are using someone else's ready-made G-code you should get the bed & nozzle to temperature manually before starting in case they are not set in the G-code. Always get the bed up to temperature before heating the nozzle, because the bed takes a while to heat and you don't want the plastic "cooking" in the hotend all that time.

The plastic will solidify and block the nozzle after finishing the print, but that's OK because it will re-melt when you heat for the next print. You must heat the nozzle to melt the plastic before unloading the filament.

Suitable start code for Slic3r is:
G21
G90 ;absolute positioning
M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
M203 X6000 Y6000 Z240 E3000 ; Allows 100mm/s speeds
G1 Z5 F200 ; lift nozzle
G1 X2 Y50 F2000; Go to wait for warm position
M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; Set bed temp
M116; Wait for bed temperature
T1 ; Select extruder 1
M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; Set extruder temp
M116; Wait for extruder temperature as well[/code]

Suitable start code for Cura is:
G21
G90 ;absolute positioning
M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
M203 X6000 Y6000 Z240 E3000 ; Allows 100mm/s speeds
G1 Z5 F200 ; lift nozzle
G1 X2 Y50 F2000; Go to wait for warm position
M140 S{print_bed_temperature} ; Set bed temp
M116; Wait for bed temperature
T1 ; Select extruder 1
M104 S{print_temperature} ; Set extruder temp
M116; Wait for extruder temperature as well[/code]

Dave
June 30, 2016 11:06PM
Jzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! seems like ages since I've been here.... Been busy with other stuff, and working.... (The curse of the 3D printer user).....

If you get a clogged nozzle, I've found the easiest way to clear it it Burn it out....
When Dust collects on the Filament, or dust from wear and tare of the PTFE tubing, it can work it's way down in to the nozzle, and no matter how high you take the nozzle temperature, it won't clear.

The first method to try is to drag the dust/debri out, by heating the Hotend to around 118' (that's an 'ish' temperature.... 110-130' might work), then withdraw the filament.... If luck is on your side
the rubbish will be stuck on the end of the filament, and you can cut it off and reload. For every 10 times that I've used this method it has probably worked 3 or 4 times....

The next step to take is to remove the nozzle if it's still blocked. I use long nose pliers and hold it in the flame of the gas cooker. You'll soon see the filament catch light inside the nozzle, so just let it
burn out in the flame then drop the nozzle in to a tin can filled with cold water.... When cold, fish it out and tap it till the clinker comes out. Blow throu the nozzle to clear the last of the water, then hold it
up to the light. You should now be able to see throu it. You can squirt some washing up detergent throu it, and rinse it out if you like, else the first time you use it the filament might be sooty.

In the passed I tried fine drills, bits of wire, all sorts of things, but burning it out always seems to work for me.

Well I've got 3 printers at home, all waiting to be fired up again so I suppose when I get home in a couple of weeks I'll have to start getting them up and running again after having a break from printing.
Hope every ones well and good... It's good to see Dave is still here to help us all, All the best .
Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login