Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Optimum settings for Simplify3D?

Posted by Treito 
Optimum settings for Simplify3D?
June 12, 2016 01:30PM
Hello,

if I print 3DBenchy (and other objects) I get blobs especially at sharp corners I get a saw-tooth edge. I enabled the M572 command with 0.1, 0.15 and 0.2 no luck. I increased retraction up to 8mm with 80mm/s with no luck. As the Extruder pressure advance does not need "Coast at end" I disabled it, but I before I used the M572 option with "Coast at end" enabled (1.7mm) I got the best results with small blobs.
What am I doing wrong?
My original hot-end broke for a while so I use Chinese E3D clones.

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Optimum settings for Simplify3D?
June 12, 2016 05:34PM
First thing to do is to determine whether the blobs are caused when the head goes round the corner, or when it chooses that corner to retract and do a travel move. I suggest you watch it carefully. Some slicers have an 'align seams' option that may help you to determine which it is.

Please confirm that you told it which extruder drive to apply pressure advance to in the M572 command. With pressure advance enabled, you should see the extruder gear make small backwards movements when the head is doing infill and it reverses direction.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 12, 2016 06:55PM
I used a setting of 0.5 and ruined the print afterwards.
The gear is stuttering depending on the setting. 0.5 really sounds dangerous.
Reducing the amount of retraction as suggested by S3D was a bad idea. A retraction on layer change is needed.
If I enable coast at end at S3D I can see where I will have the blobs. They will be exactly at the gaps.
Printing the 3Dbenchy (meanwhile I have 20 or 30) I use a random seem as S3D doesn't support to put it in a corner.
It seems that a mixture of using the pressure advance option in combination with the coast at end setting is the best choice.
Maybe anybody could publish his or her settings?

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 13, 2016 01:50AM
0.5 is much too high a setting for pressure advance. I find 0.1 about right and I think 0.2 is the highest you should ever go. The higher the pressure advance, the less retraction you should need.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 13, 2016 03:44AM
I only used 0.5 to see how this option works and what happens if the value is too high. As I used 0.15 I saw small gaps.
Latest settings was 0.1 for the M572-value, a retraction of 7mm with a speed of 80mm/s and "coast at end" with 1.3mm.
Using these settings I got really nice looking corners without a noticeable sawtooth profile.
But it seems that pressure advance could have some issues with the lower layers where you have bows. Here I have the biggest blobs, but they have been reduced much. I am trying a new test print with lower temperature and increased retraction as well as coast at end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login