Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Motor isn't moving - faulty Duet? - Warranty?

Posted by xeb 
xeb
X Motor isn't moving - faulty Duet? - Warranty?
May 26, 2016 01:56PM
Hi guys,

It's been almost two months since I last posted. And yes, I am still building my Ormerod 2... Everything was fine and dandy until I got to the X-axis motor commissioning. The X Motor is refusing to move.

I have carried out the instructions as per the documentation under the section 'Test axis movement'. Y and Z axis are operating without any issues. I proceed with troubleshooting the hardware by following the instructions in the troubleshooting section of the documentation. It states the following test procedure:

To test, turn off the power to the printer, and swap the wiring at the Duet between two axes, eg X and Y, or Z and extruder. Make VERY sure you have connected the wiring correctly; check the wiring diagram. Turn on power, connect, and test BOTH axes. If the problem stays with the same motor as before, the issue is with the motor or wiring; if it swaps to the other motor, the problem is with the Duet.

I have carried out the above suggestion and concluded that the fault lies in the Duet driver. Obviously, I could be wrong, so any other suggestions would be helpful.

Which now leads me to question the following:
  • Is the Duet covered by warranty since Reprappro Ltd is no longer in business?
  • If it is covered by warranty, how do I claim it?
  • Can't seem to find a replacement Duet on eBay - other trusted vendors anyone?
  • Will RS Components replace this since I bought the kit almost 2-months ago?

[EDIT 26/05/16] Just a theory, but could it be some G-code problem? Maybe the X-axis code isn't recognised or I maybe somehow possibly made a mess of it when I removed the semi-colons from the config.g file? I'm throwing every idea out there just in case I've overlooked something stupid. Maybe I can test the connection on the board/X-driver to see if there really is a fault (not sure where to start though)?

Many thanks,

Xeb

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 05:44PM by xeb.
Re: X Motor isn't moving - faulty Duet? - Warranty?
May 26, 2016 02:40PM
you will have to ask RS abaut warranty, i have no idea.

If you will have to buy you have two options:
[www.think3dprint3d.com]
and
[www.replikeo.com] (which will have older board with 1k resistors and i've seen lots of posts abaut their duets being bad quality)
xeb
May 26, 2016 03:01PM
Thanks Darathy,

Speaking of older boards, my current board (V0.6) is considered 'old' according to what I've read from this page:

[reprap.org]

However, it does come with 4.7K resistors.

Since the board is made by think3Dprint3D, what are the chances of them offering a replacement? £100 for the board is way too steep... the point of me buying this printer was to keep costs low. This is turning into a very expensive hobby and its not even my fault...

www.replikeo.com - I might take a punt on this if RS says no, it is however overseas, which means there might be customs tax on this importing into the UK, in otherwords it'll probably be about £80-100 anyway.

[EDIT 27/05/16] Called up RS and they don't have any spares, but said they may still be able to contact the manufacturer and get a replacement. Waiting for a call back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 06:55AM by xeb.
May 27, 2016 09:30AM
It is worth visually checking the soldering on the stepper driver chips (the ones above he connector to the faulty axis). There have been cases where these have not been soldered, and if that is so it will be a quick fix.

Dave
xeb
May 27, 2016 10:54AM
Hi Dave,

I've checked the soldering on the X stepper driver and captured a pic of it as well:

[www.dropbox.com]]

It seems fine from what I can see. However, I haven't inspected the other side of it yet, its a real pain getting it out of the case. Since its surface mount, my guess is there isn't any solder on the other side?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 10:55AM by xeb.
May 31, 2016 07:37AM
xeb
It seems fine from what I can see. However, I haven't inspected the other side of it yet, its a real pain getting it out of the case. Since its surface mount, my guess is there isn't any solder on the other side?
Thanks

No, there is no need to look at the other side, and the pins do indeed appear to be soldered adequately.

Dave
xeb
June 04, 2016 10:01AM
RS agreed to exchange the board since the whole kit is under a 12-month warranty. I will be picking one out of an existing kit since they don't have a separate units. Fingers crossed this solves the problem, otherwise it'll be a full refund. Maybe a Prusa i3 MK2 would be a good replacement, much better design in my opinion.
xeb
June 06, 2016 04:35PM
Just switched out the Duet, everything is working fine. However, I'm a little unhappy that they've given me an older board with 1k resistors instead of the 4.7k resistors. Anyways, thread closed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login