Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End temperature fault error.

Posted by Europa 
Hot End temperature fault error.
May 15, 2016 10:39AM
Gentlemen, any suggestions as to why my new E3D V6 hot end heats up to a certain temperature but them stops heating combined with the word fault shown below the Heater 1 in the Duet web control.

I think it is unlikely to be a wiring fault as it is intermittent and gave me the same fault with a Chinese hot end which I was using previously.

Many thanks,

Brian
Re: Hot End temperature fault error.
May 15, 2016 11:34AM
Adding to the above post the M305 line in my config file is:

M305 P1 R4700 B4267

The printer is an Ormerod 2

The fault occurs at the higher temperatures when I am printing with ABS, it is less of a problem when printing with PLA

Temperature I am using for ABS is 235 degrees.

Many thanks,

Brian
May 15, 2016 12:12PM
Try adding the following line

M570 S180

I had the same issue some time back Caused by the lower power of the Heater (bet it has blue wires) this causes the Firmware to time out the heater and shut it down on the assumption that the Thermistor in the Hotend has come adrift.

HTH

Doug

p.s. the S180 tells it to wait for 180 seconds on heatup instead of the Default (Can't remember what that is at the moment)

Europa
Adding to the above post the M305 line in my config file is:

M305 P1 R4700 B4267

The printer is an Ormerod 2

The fault occurs at the higher temperatures when I am printing with ABS, it is less of a problem when printing with PLA

Temperature I am using for ABS is 235 degrees.

Many thanks,

Brian
May 15, 2016 12:18PM
Many thanks Doug, I will give that a try.

Actually the heater is a 40W red wire job but clearly it has something to do with either the problem you mention or a similar mis match of information.

Many thanks,

Brian
May 15, 2016 04:54PM
you could also try tuning PID ,but if it doesnt bother you if it takes longer to heat up do what doug says.
May 16, 2016 03:22AM
Hi Darathy, I have added M570 S180 as Doug suggested, I no longer get the fault error but the last 5 degrees or so do take a long time to reach the target.

I came across this post that was suggesting making some changes to the M301 parameters which I think is probably the PID settings.

Temperature problem.

Brian
PRZ
May 16, 2016 10:46AM
[edit] If final reaching setpoint is slow, you have to adjust PID.

For heating adjustment, have a look at this RepRap wiki page 'RepRap_Firmware_heating': [reprap.org]

In M301, don't forget the T parameter, it is specific to RepRap Firmware DC42 fork, but it improves the control and I get much better result with the Fisher hotend while adjusting it (which is relatively easy).

I have not looked the firmware code (not capable to), but I assume this T parameter remove the constant heating power from the PID controlled power, then add it back. David may confirm the philosophy behind.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 10:51AM by PRZ.

Pierre

- Safety [reprap.org]
- Embedded help system for Duet and RepRap Firmware [forums.reprap.org]
- Enclosed delta printers Lily [rouzeau.net] and Lily Big [rouzeau.net]
- OpenScad delta printer simulator [github.com]
- 3D printing on my site [www.rouzeau.net]
May 16, 2016 11:03AM
Another thing is that the Thermister B value on the E3D is a bit out at the Higher temps of a Hotend DC42's excellent spreadsheet calculates that 4388 is a better match than the Default (which is specified for 100degrees not the 200-250 range that we usually use)

Not sure how much difference it will make to the Tune but mine is absolutely fine on Stock PIDs at that Beta Value and I get around 1.5 - 2.0 degrees overshoot to start but it settles to around +/- 1.0 when in use.

PRZ
[edit] If final reaching setpoint is slow, you have to adjust PID.

For heating adjustment, have a look at this RepRap wiki page 'RepRap_Firmware_heating': [reprap.org]

In M301, don't forget the T parameter, it is specific to RepRap Firmware DC42 fork, but it improves the control and I get much better result with the Fisher hotend while adjusting it (which is relatively easy).

I have not looked the firmware code (not capable to), but I assume this T parameter remove the constant heating power from the PID controlled power, then add it back. David may confirm the philosophy behind.
May 16, 2016 01:52PM
Hi guys, I have increased the B value from 4267 to 4388 as suggested but the last 5 degrees, from 235 to 240 are taking around 5 minutes.

Should I also have a go at increasing the S value ?

Thanks,

Brian
May 16, 2016 03:33PM
Europa
Hi guys, I have increased the B value from 4267 to 4388 as suggested but the last 5 degrees, from 235 to 240 are taking around 5 minutes.

Should I also have a go at increasing the S value ?

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, try S1.5. If that causes overshoot, reduce it again. The default is 1.0.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 18, 2016 02:32PM
Thank David, I will giveS1.5 a try.

By the way, I have been thinking of buying one of your Mini Differential IR height sensors. Can I simply connect it to the original plug for the sensor as shipped with the Ormerod 2 or does it need to connect to different pins on the Duet?

Does it have to fit in front of the E3D V6 hotend or can it be mounted on the side where the original sensor sits?

I find the original one very inaccurate now that I am printing on both Gecko build plates and BuildTak, although I am still using a piece of white paper under the sensor, it seems to be so temperature dependent.

Many thanks,

Brian
May 18, 2016 03:20PM
Europa
By the way, I have been thinking of buying one of your Mini Differential IR height sensors. Can I simply connect it to the original plug for the sensor as shipped with the Ormerod 2 or does it need to connect to different pins on the Duet?

Does it have to fit in front of the E3D V6 hotend or can it be mounted on the side where the original sensor sits?

My sensor connects to 3 of the 4 pins that the RRP modulated IR probe in the Ormerod 2 kit uses. You should be able to remove the crimp pins from the 4-way header shell on the end of the wiring loom, and insert them in the correct order into the 3-way header shell that I provide with the kit.

For best accuracy, I recommend that you mount the sensor on the print head, in line with the nozzle in the X direction. That reduces sensitivity to head tilt, which is a problem with the original RRP sensor mounted on the X carriage.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 18, 2016 03:56PM
Hi Dave,
When you say in line with the nozzle in the X axis that would effectively put the sensor to the left of the nozzle when viewed from the cooling fan which is blowing in the Y direction ?

I would need to design a new mount for the hot end but that is not a problem.

Can I order from your site Escher 3D ?

I don't know if it is just because I have an Ormerod 2 but I forever seem to be tinkering with it, just to get it to work!!

Many thanks,

Brian
May 18, 2016 06:01PM
Europa
Hi Dave,
When you say in line with the nozzle in the X axis that would effectively put the sensor to the left of the nozzle when viewed from the cooling fan which is blowing in the Y direction ?

Yes.

I would need to design a new mount for the hot end but that is not a problem.

Or use the design that Treito used, see his recent thread in this forum.

Can I order from your site Escher 3D ?

Yes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login