Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minimum printing speed?

Posted by Treito 
Minimum printing speed?
May 01, 2016 10:42AM
Hello,

Simplify3D would like to reduce the printing speed to 6.7mm/s for the orthogonal axis compensation parts (z-axis), because for cooling the parts down.
The minimum printing speed is by default 600mm/min or 10mm/s. So why this value was choosed? Can I reduce it by half or will I get any issues?

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Minimum printing speed?
May 01, 2016 12:56PM
Unless you are using very old firmware, there is no minimum print speed any more. The maximum instantaneous speed change values set by M566 used to be minimum movement speeds too, but no longer are.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 01, 2016 02:06PM
Okay I see, thanks. I was wondering if this slow speed is really needed. I raised the minimum speed to 10mm/s at Simplify3D for this print and it worked.
However I have no original nozzle anymore because it is dead so probably nobody could tell me how long a layer has to be cooled down for my printer setups.
As I updated the firmware (machine 1) I think I had to reprint the orthogonal axis as there were some troubles with it in FW versions 1.09?
Okay it doesn't matter the print is done and once machine 2 is ready it will also need this part to be printed.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
May 03, 2016 05:41AM
Somewhat related, I'm using Cura to do my slicing, and it suggests a print speed of 150 mm/s for a "well-adjusted Ultimaker". Is this the speed at which the extruder spits out filament? What is the optimal speed for the Ormerod 2?

While I'm proud of my home-built Ormerod, it's certainly not a well-adjusted Ultimaker... my stock extruder jams at 40 mm/s!
May 03, 2016 07:27AM
I recently changed my Hot-End and I was able to do a print with 80mm/s. However there were traces of the speed. I am unsure if I can reduce them by changing to GT2-belts. That's my last option for improving print speed. An I3 shall not have any trouble at 100mm/s. sad smiley

May 03, 2016 08:12AM
Treito
Simplify3D would like to reduce the printing speed to 6.7mm/s for the orthogonal axis compensation parts (z-axis), because for cooling the parts down.
The minimum printing speed is by default 600mm/min or 10mm/s. So why this value was choosed? Can I reduce it by half or will I get any issues?
Sven

The speed that it slows down to is determined by the minimum layer time you have set. The slicer calculates the speed that will result in the minimum layer time, so decrease that time and you will see that the speed increases.

Dave
May 03, 2016 10:12AM
I know that was the way how I increased the minimum speed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login