Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminium bed on Ormerod 2

Posted by 0x0000 
Aluminium bed on Ormerod 2
April 27, 2016 03:38AM
Has anyone managed to fit DaveK's / DC42s aluminium bed to the Ormerod 2? I have a 5mm aluminium plate, just wondering if its worth the trouble cutting the shape out. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 03:38AM by 0x0000.
Re: Aluminium bed on Ormerod 2
April 27, 2016 06:32PM
I am considering to put an Aluminium plate onto my Ormerod 2, but it will be necessary to change the design of it. Maybe if you print the one piece y-carriage or bed-support by lefty(?) or my one you could add some holes to fix it.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
April 27, 2016 07:30PM
Which parts need to be redesigned? I found this one from Joar107 that looks interesting. No need for a y+brace, the clamps look like they screw directly into the bed: [forums.reprap.org]

I'm having a closer look at the alternative aluminium parts with an eye for hand cutting them. I think some parts on the XPlate in particular can be eliminated to make cutting simpler (for example, the ridges above the motor and the little hole at the tip). I don't have easy access to a laser or water jet cutter, so my trusty hacksaw or jigsaw will have to do smiling smiley
April 27, 2016 07:31PM
Can you post a linknto your designs?
April 28, 2016 03:41AM
The Aluminium bed support by DaveK does not directly fit onto the Y-carriage. If you have the original one you will have to add rectangular cutouts. In all cases you have to add additional holes. My design is nearly similar with the original design, but more stable.
[www.thingiverse.com]

The design by Le4y is completely different.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Four mounting points could be difficult.

This is better, but also completely different from standard:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
April 28, 2016 12:15PM
Just thought i'd butt in and mention that if anyone is having difficulty getting stuff made, I can now CNC mill stuff from aluminium plate.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
April 28, 2016 12:28PM
I maybe would have some tasks to do, but what about pricing? Does it only depends from the basic material and size or also the amount of holes, cut-outs and so on?

April 28, 2016 01:26PM
Its really dependant on the whole job to be done, theres no easy way to say without seeing whats needed winking smiley

April 29, 2016 12:47AM
No problem. Second question: There was no easy way at German suppliers to get holes in 2 directions or countersunk holes and so on as they only accepts one DXF-file per job. Would this be the same thing at you or can you do such kind of advanced jobs?

April 29, 2016 02:08AM
I would take each job on spec, I would need to see the details first really, I cannot see any issue with stuff like counter-sinks etc.

April 29, 2016 03:46AM
Okay thanks Dave. That was only a theoretical question but I think this is interesting for many others.
The German producers do the process mostly automatically. So they demand a DXF-File which can be processed automatically. These procedure only allows a two-dimensional drawing. So you have to upload the DXF-file and select the material and thickness and you will get an automatically offer. Step-files are not accepted only if they provide a bended part.
I will need several parts in some months and I will definitely ask you for a price, but at the moment I have several problems which needs to be solved first.
Is there no problem with the shape?
The original bed has an individual shape which looks very nice instead of a simply triangle. This would probably be nicer to cut and therefore cheaper I guess.

April 29, 2016 03:52AM
Yep, my stuff gets hands-on personal treatment on the CNC winking smiley

Flat 2D or 2.5D d shapes are no issue at all I think. Just need to see DXF etc so I can give options and a yay or nay to any job.

Any time, just let me know.

April 30, 2016 07:50AM
Davek0974
Yep, my stuff gets hands-on personal treatment on the CNC winking smiley

Flat 2D or 2.5D d shapes are no issue at all I think. Just need to see DXF etc so I can give options and a yay or nay to any job.

Any time, just let me know.

One stupid question according to this theme,
take a look here: [reprappro.com]
What would be the costs for the bed support and optional for the y-carriage?
Would it make a difference if the outer lines would be more straight?

I hope I got the right files:
[github.com]
[github.com]
[github.com]

April 30, 2016 11:22AM
I will have a look later, the curves make no difference at all to a machine - straight or curved its all the same.

I would possibly alter things slightly - remove the locating lugs possibly and switch the nut-traps for threaded holes like the x-axis kits have. They only used nut-traps because you can't thread wood winking smiley

April 30, 2016 11:31AM
Many thanks for the answer.
For the moment it is only theoretically, but it fits to the thread, so no stress. I printed a Y-carriage with a complete different design and a bed support consisting of three parts. However the first print was done with PLA because ABS warped. I didn't think about the screws that they may transfer heat as well so the bed support melted.
I reprinted now the bed support in ABS, but I am afraid it will melt again, but the printer is not ready yet. My printed y-carriage should be fully compatible with the original bed support so probably the top plate would be enough. That's the price if you do not buy a kit. grinning smiley

April 30, 2016 01:33PM
Is it possible for some kind person to get the correct 3 files from the site?

I downloaded a load of stuff from the GitHub links bet they seemed to be nothing to do with the bits in question???

Many thanks

Dave

April 30, 2016 02:28PM
No Problem, I downloaded them to be able to draw my part.

Attachments:
open | download - bed.DXF (18.8 KB)
open | download - y-cross-rib.DXF (22.8 KB)
open | download - y-rib.DXF (23.5 KB)
April 30, 2016 02:48PM
Thanks Treito,

Questions -

They are made in 6mm thickness - is this needed if made from aluminium or would be better dropped to 5mm?

Is there likely to be any demand for these parts if i made the whole set as a kit with screws etc?

What is the correct dimension of the linear bearing - drawing has it as 20.9mm but that might be to make it a tight fit, my guess is 21mm - tight fits are different for metal parts winking smiley

Thanks

April 30, 2016 03:02PM
Hello Dave,

I think 5mm would also be okay for the bed. For the other two parts I am a little bit unsure. You would have to be aware that the holes could move by 0.5mm.
The outer diamater of a LM12UU is 21mm, that's right.
I only demanded for a roughly price so that I can see and compare.

April 30, 2016 03:08PM
Thanks again,

6mm is fine - gives a little more meat for little weight change, the holes would not move by my changing the thickness anyway.

At a rough guesstimate, If i were to do these, I would have to make more than one set or else the price would be simply too high.

I would therefore propose an estimate of £65 for a kit of the three parts including screws for assembly.

May 02, 2016 12:24PM
Any interest in these parts in aluminium??

I could also do the two Mk1 Y-Ribs under the bed now if wanted winking smiley

May 02, 2016 12:38PM
Personally for me the price is too high especially at the moment. Probably I need to find a new job. Sh.. happens.
Also I was looking somewhat in the region of the the Aluminium bed support I got from you for my MK1. Slightly other design and that's it.

May 02, 2016 12:43PM
I can do just the Mk2 bed support for a little more than the Mk1 as the metal is thicker so probably £20 ?

May 02, 2016 01:08PM
That would sound much better, but like I said for the moment I have to arrange myself with the new situation.

May 02, 2016 01:27PM
As I said, anything is pretty much possible, the main limiting factor is that i have to order a certain amount of metal so making just one of anything can be expensive but if we get some interest going then these parts are pretty easy smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login