Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with commissioning new Ormerod 2

Posted by brlowe 
Help with commissioning new Ormerod 2
April 18, 2016 06:37PM
Hello all,
it has been a while and my printer is not done yet but getting closer. I have new gears installed and working great thanks to Bart. He also sent me a spring loaded extruder drive so I have that installed too.
So my current issue. I am going thru the steps out lined in the commissioning doc and I am running Pronterface. I'm connected to my printer and it is powered up. I can drive the head up and down and across the arm. I can also drive the print bed around.
After selecting T0 I can command the bed heat and it goes up to the right setting but when I try to command heat to the head nothing happens. No readings or any thing. Can some one point me in the right direction for trouble shooting? Here is a copy of my config.g file. It is not formatted very well and I wondered if that was normal?

Thank you
Brandon
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (2.3 KB)
Re: Help with commissioning new Ormerod 2
April 18, 2016 09:58PM
Some things to check:

Is T0 defined in config? Have you double checked that it's T0 and not another number? Does the thermistor temp show any number, and is that number correct and at a sensible value (I.e. close to the bed temperature at room temperature). Is the hotend connected to the Duet properly?

You don't need to select the tool to get a temperature reading; mine reads correctly when the Duet first boots. If you're not getting any number, you might have a short in your thermistor or a break in the thermistor wire. Not sure how that looks on Pronterface, but on Duet Web Control it manifests as impossibly high temps or "error", respectively.
April 18, 2016 10:05PM
Just looked at your config. Line 24 is incorrect. Your M305 for setting the hotend thermistor is not getting set, it's been backspaced onto the previous line and gets interpreted as a comment smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 10:05PM by 0x0000.
April 18, 2016 10:41PM
Ok I replaced the config.g file and then it looed correct when listed out.
I still cannot get a temp reading or heat to the hot end.
I am including a screen shot of Pronterface to see if that helps. You can see I have the temp
set to 200 but the hot end is still not doing anything. The bed is set to 40 and it is at 40.
What should I look for/measure on the board and or connections coming from the hot end?

Thank you
Brandon
Attachments:
open | download - Pronterface.jpg (198.9 KB)
April 18, 2016 11:26PM
Looks like your M305 commands in that screenshot have semicolons at the start of the line. Everything to the right of a semicolon is ignored (known as a comment). Remove those semicolons and try again
April 19, 2016 12:06AM
My Duet board does not have the 4.7k resistor so I thought that line stayed commented out. Am I wrong do I need to change this?

0x0000
Looks like your M305 commands in that screenshot have semicolons at the start of the line. Everything to the right of a semicolon is ignored (known as a comment). Remove those semicolons and try again
April 19, 2016 01:53AM
Perhaps your config.g file is not being read at startup. Try sending M563 P0 D0 H1 from Pronterface and see if you get a hot end temperature reading.

If you are still running the RRP 1.09 firmware release, upgrade to my or chrishamm's latest. There was a formatting error in the M105 response in 1.09 that confused Pronterface AFAIR.

Also try to get the web interface working, it's easier to use than Pronterface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2016 01:54AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 19, 2016 02:39AM
Is the hotend thermistor connected to the Duet? Check that both wires are seated correctly in the connectors. Could be that your thermistor is faulty. Has it ever worked?
April 19, 2016 11:02AM
Ok I flashed 1.11 and recreated my SD card with the files in your repository so eveything matched and now I cannot connect to my printer. In device manager under ports it shows Arduino Due on COM3 but under other devices it shows Duet with a yellow !. Driver update does not find drivers. Also I was connected on this computer right before the firmware update.
Any ideas?

Brandon

dc42
Perhaps your config.g file is not being read at startup. Try sending M563 P0 D0 H1 from Pronterface and see if you get a hot end temperature reading.

If you are still running the RRP 1.09 firmware release, upgrade to my or chrishamm's latest. There was a formatting error in the M105 response in 1.09 that confused Pronterface AFAIR.

Also try to get the web interface working, it's easier to use than Pronterface.
April 19, 2016 05:04PM
Ok I flashed 1.10+4 and I was able to connect to the printer again. I will try 1.11 later and see if I still have issues.
I changed the M305 values to R1000 for my board. I connected to Pronterface and I was now able to command the hotend to heat up. So on to the next step.

The only reason I'm using pronterface is because I'm following along with the instructions for setting it up. Is the web interface good enough that I will be able to follow along using that?
What steps do I need to take to get into the web interface?
April 19, 2016 05:29PM
The USB manufacturer string has changed between version 1.10+4 and 1.11, which probably has something to do with why you can't connect to 1.11; but this is the first time I've heard of failure to connect to it using the Arduino Due driver. Can you tell me which operating system you run on your PC, and which version of Arduino you have installed?

The RepRapPro Fisher printer also used the Duet, and for that one the commissioning instructions start by using the web interface. See [reprappro.com] for how to connect via the web interface.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 19, 2016 06:51PM
I am running windows 8.1 and Arduino 1.6.7.
Is there a driver I can download and install or anything that might help it connect?

dc42
The USB manufacturer string has changed between version 1.10+4 and 1.11, which probably has something to do with why you can't connect to 1.11; but this is the first time I've heard of failure to connect to it using the Arduino Due driver. Can you tell me which operating system you run on your PC, and which version of Arduino you have installed?
April 19, 2016 07:02PM
I run Windows 10, so I'll check firmware 1.11 with the driver form Arduino 1.6.7. In the mean time, I suggest you carry on with 1.10+4.

April 20, 2016 08:21AM
brlowe
Is there a driver I can download and install or anything that might help it connect?

If/when you feel like trying again, please try the following:

- Right click the device in Device Manager and select "Update driver"
- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
- Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
- If "USB Serial Device" (without the word "Modem") is not listed, uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and under Manufacturer select Microsoft
- Select "USB Serial Device"

April 20, 2016 01:30PM
Ok I tried to see if this would help and still does not work. I even installed Arduino 1.6.8 to see if that helped. I did not get the options you listed in your request but here are some screen shots of what I did see. I hope these help as I would hate to think I'm stuck at this firmware level and anyone else that has this problem.

dc42
brlowe

If/when you feel like trying again, please try the following:

- Right click the device in Device Manager and select "Update driver"
- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
- Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
- If "USB Serial Device" (without the word "Modem") is not listed, uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and under Manufacturer select Microsoft
- Select "USB Serial Device"
Attachments:
open | download - DeviceManager1.jpg (68.6 KB)
open | download - DeviceManager2.jpg (62.2 KB)
open | download - DeviceManager3.jpg (65.9 KB)
open | download - DeviceManager4.jpg (84.4 KB)
April 20, 2016 04:25PM
Thanks for trying that. I will probably release a firmware update tomorrow, and in that one I'll revert to the USB identity parameters of earlier versions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login