Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding Extruder

Posted by HWrp156 
Adding Extruder
February 10, 2016 08:56AM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to add another extruder to my Ormerod 2 and was hoping someone could help. I am unsure if another one can be added to a Duet 0.6 without the need of a expansion board? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Rhys
Re: Adding Extruder
February 10, 2016 09:23AM
Hi,
Yes the expansion board is needed.
Here is the link to reprap pro documentation to add multi materials to your printer [reprappro.com]

Chris

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 10, 2016 10:22AM
You need one of the following:

1. Duet Shield. Used to be manufactured by RepRapPro. There may still be a few for sale.

2. DueX4 expansion board from Think3DPrint3D.

3. Duet 0.8.5 from Think3DPrint3d to replace your Duet 0.6.

(3) is the neatest solution unless you think you may want a 3rd extruder, but is probably also the most expensive.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 12, 2016 05:57AM
So I have ordered a Duex4 Expansion Board, thanks for the help. However I noticed that the proximity sensor wires from the current expansion pins will have to be moved to the duex4, where will they be placed now? Also can I power the duex4 from my duet or need a separate supply?
February 12, 2016 01:19PM
You can power it from duet but you might also need a more powerfull power supply.
February 12, 2016 01:37PM
The DueX4 has its own 12V input connector. The wires between that and the one on the Duet should be as short and thick as possible.

See my blog entry at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for info on connecting the Duet and the X4. However, you can ignore the bit about modifying the X4 because the newer X4 boards have an AGND jumper wire that you use to avoid the thermistor noise issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 01:38PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 15, 2016 08:41AM
Great thanks for your help! Will try it when I get my Duex4.
February 17, 2016 06:32AM
Hi again guys,
So I have received my Duex4 from Think3DPrint3D and wired it up according to David's blog. Next I am going to power the board and was looking to power it straight from the Duet. Therefore I noticed there was an unused terminal next to the input terminal for the PSU that has 12V across it and was wondering whether this is designed for the expansion board or not? It lies on the regulator board?
February 18, 2016 08:32AM
what would be the advantages between:

1. Duet Shield. Used to be manufactured by RepRapPro.

2. DueX4 expansion board from Think3DPrint3D.

are there any but the powerconnnection?

would 32A on 12V be enough to run it?
February 18, 2016 09:57AM
The shield is mechanically more convenient to fit IMO because it fits on top of the Duet. However, on some shields RRP didn't use a pass-through connector, which makes it hard to connect a PanelDue or anything else to the expansion connector.

The DueX4 has two more hot end and extruder drives than the shield.

My dual extrusion Ormerod is powered by a 12V 25A LED power supply.

February 18, 2016 11:36AM
thanks dc,
really appreciate you being helpful all the time thumbs up

ill go with the shield then
February 18, 2016 11:44AM
Worth mentioning that another possibility is to replace your Duet 0.6 by a Duet 0.8.5, then you don't need and expansion board at all for dual extrusion. OTOH the expansion boards support triple extrusion and more.

February 24, 2016 01:16PM
Hi guys,

Seen some of the posts and now considering buying a new PSU for my Duet 0.6 + Duex4 setup. Was hoping to get an opinion on one I have found (similar to the one dc42 mentioned).
[www.ebay.co.uk] - 12V 25A supply.

Would this work fine with my Ormerod 2 and still provide sufficient power to my setup?
February 24, 2016 02:17PM
Can you power the duet4x with a second supply?

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
February 25, 2016 07:49AM
Fpex

There is no need for it and in my eyes one power supply is more comfortable.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 25, 2016 07:49AM
Fpex

There is no need for it and in my eyes one power supply is more comfortable.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 25, 2016 09:22AM
Sorry in case it was unclear, I meant the new power supply for the whole setup not just for the expansion board. So the supply would be used for everything and replace the one supplied. Or do you guys feel the one supplied ( I think it's 12V 3.5A) is more than enough for the duet and duex4?
February 25, 2016 09:26AM
I believe the Ormerod 2 is supplied with a 12V 20A PSU. For dual extrusion I suggest 12V 25A or higher. If you plan to turn up the voltage to make the bed heat up faster, go for at least 12V 30A.

February 25, 2016 09:36AM
Great thanks for the advice, I will look into other supplies and post my results when the printer is up and running.
March 16, 2016 10:24AM
So I have got my power supply (12V/30A) connected up to my RepRap. Since then I have also wired up my Duex4 and it seems to work with my thermocouples which is great, however the Z-probe doesnt seem to work now. I have reverted back to the Duet by itself and the Z-probe works, so there must be something wrong with my ribbon cable or the pins on the duex4? I am unsure.

I am using the same named pins as the Duet in AD12 and AD14 on the Duex4 expansion header. Does anyone know what this problem might be? Also the heated bed doesn't really seem to heat up any faster does this indicate something also?
March 16, 2016 07:10PM
If you have the Duet 0.2a board and you are using it with a Duet 0.6, make sure that you don't have the VSSA jumper fitted on the DueX4, and you do have the flying lead connecting the VSSA pin on the X4 to VSSA on the Duet.

March 17, 2016 05:26AM
Thanks dc42 I'll have a look, but when I bought my Duex4 there was no flying lead supplied? Is this something that should have been supplied by think3dprint3d or will I have to buy one separately?

I think the duex4 currently has a 2-pin jumper on which I have left since it was supplied with it on.
March 17, 2016 07:50AM
See [blog.think3dprint3d.com]. Unless you bought your DueX4 a very long time ago, it should be a 0.2a board and according to that link, the fly lead should be included.

March 17, 2016 09:18AM
I emailed Think3dPrint3d and they were great, sending a fly lead out today. I will try it with my Duex4 and Duet and post back if it fixes my z-probe issue.
March 17, 2016 10:22AM
With the VSSA jumper in place, AD12 is shorted to ground, so the Z probe won't work. So you need to remove the jumper; but then the thermistors attached to the DueX4 won't work until you install the flylead.

March 20, 2016 05:03AM
So I have removed the jumper, but the z-probe still doesn't seem to work. It tries to home but never seems to detect the bed, does this mean there is something else that might be wrong?
March 25, 2016 08:46AM
I have tried using the flylead and tested but still no luck, but when I wire the z-probe back into the Duet it seems to work fine.
Has anyone encountered this problem before?
March 25, 2016 06:07PM
I have just checked the DueX4 0.2a schematic and I can see the problem. The DueX4 0.2a does not make pin AD12 available on the expansion connector. However, it is available on the 2-way jumper block. So you need to move the proximity sensor modulation wire from pin 12 on the expansion connector to the 2-way jumper block - the pin that is not occupied by the VSSA flylead. Alternatively, use a height sensor like my mini differential IR one that doesn't need the modulation signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 06:07PM by dc42.

March 28, 2016 05:25AM
dc42
I have just checked the DueX4 0.2a schematic and I can see the problem. The DueX4 0.2a does not make pin AD12 available on the expansion connector. However, it is available on the 2-way jumper block. So you need to move the proximity sensor modulation wire from pin 12 on the expansion connector to the 2-way jumper block - the pin that is not occupied by the VSSA flylead. Alternatively, use a height sensor like my mini differential IR one that doesn't need the modulation signal.

Great that seems to work now. Thanks for your help dc42.
January 04, 2017 05:37AM
I have a Duet Shield for sale that will fit the Duet 0.6
I have no way of testing whether this board still works, so I'm selling it for 'spare parts only' for £10 plus £2.80 postage
It also comes with the enhanced 5V regulator that has the extra connectors to power both boards
Anyone interested?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login