Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems after firmware update (Ormerod 1)

Posted by Michmich229 
Problems after firmware update (Ormerod 1)
May 30, 2015 05:58PM
Hello everyone,

I've updated to the 1.09 Firmware and made the changes following the tutorial but i'm not able to print due to 2 problems:

- The Z axis is too high when i'm printing even if i have set the Z0.
- I can't extrude plastic during printing but i can extrude manually through Pronterface. ( It's saying no tools selected but i have chosen T1 by typing T1 manually through Pronterface)

Here is my config.g :

; Configuration file for RepRap Ormerod 1
; RepRapPro Ltd
;
; Copy this file to config.g if you have an Ormerod 1
; If you are updating a config.g that you already have you
; may wish to go through it and this file checking what you
; want to keep from your old file.
;
; For G-code definitions, see [reprap.org]
;
M111 S0 ; Debug off
M550 PMichel's Printer ; Machine name (can be anything you like). With DHCP enabled connect to (example) [reprapproormerod1] (machine name with no spaces).
M551 POrmerod ; Machine password (currently not used)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
;M552 P0.0.0.0 ; Un-comment for DHCP
M552 P192.168.1.14 ; IP address, comment for DHCP
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Netmask
M554 P192.168.1.1 ; Gateway, comment for DHCP
M555 P2 ; Set output to look like Marlin
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute corrdinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves
M906 X800 Y1000 Z800 E800 ; Set motor currents (mA)
M569 P0 S1 ; Set X axis direction
M92 E429 ; Set extruder steps per mm
M558 P1 ; Use an unmodulated Z probe (change to P2 if you update to the modulated probe)
G31 Z5.3 P619 ; Set the probe height and threshold (deliberately too high to avoid bed crashes on initial setup)
M556 S75 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Put your axis compensation here
M201 X500 Y500 Z15 E500 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2)
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z100 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)
M566 X200 Y200 Z30 E20 ; Minimum speeds mm/minute
M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P1 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
M574 X0 Y2 Z0 S1

Thanks in advance for your help !
Re: Problems after firmware update (Ormerod 1)
May 30, 2015 06:11PM
1. You have this in config.g:

M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P1 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures

The P1 parameters in those commands defines the hot end as tool 1. The standard for firmware 1.09 is to call the hot end tool 0. So change P1 to P0 in both of those. This will also work better with the default tool settings in slic3r and Cura. Also put a T0 command in your slic3r start gcode, if you don't already have one. This will hopefully get extrusion working during printing.

2. You say the Z axis is too high during printing. Do the files you are trying to print have a G28 command near the start to home the printer? If so, then your manual setting of where Z=0 is will be lost when the home command is executed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 30, 2015 06:14PM
I have the same problem.

I have the original Ormerod 1 printer and had to be sent a new Duet PCB, which is now updated for the Ormerod 2. Since this I have not been able to do a print as the extruder will not work, nor can I successfully connect via web interface or Pronterface.

I've tried so many different combinations of firmware and can't get anything working.
May 31, 2015 10:34AM
Whenever you change firmware, you MUST use the SD Image files supplied with that firmware; if you mix different versions of SD Image and firmware, it may cause unexpected results. See: [reprappro.com]

I've updated the commissioning instructions to reflect firmware changes. Understanding how tools are configured, and how to enable them (which will get the extruder working), are covered there. See: [reprappro.com]

Generally, after switching on the printer, you need to enable the correct 'tool'. As dc42 says, your firmware is set up to use 'T0', which is now standard, so send 'T0' to enable the hot end. In firmware 1.09, extrusion is not allowed if the hot end temperature is too low; ie cold extrusion is prevented. You can override this with 'M302 P1'. This is covered in the calibration instructions, here: [reprappro.com]

Make sure that gcode files you are using do not change the tool number from T0 to T1. This will be early in the gcode file. You can edit this in the gcode file directly. Check your Slic3r settings (or use our latest profiles), that T0 is the enabled tool. This is usually set in Slic3r > Printer settings > Custom G-code > Start G-code, so that any gcode you generate uses the correct tool. We changed the first tool to be T0, from T1, in the v1.04 firmware release, as that is what everyone else uses.

Your Z height is set very high: 'G31 Z5.3 P619'. I'd normally expect the Z[value] to be set around 2 to 2.5. Check the Z height calibration, here: [reprappro.com]

As dc42 says, if you set the Z height with G92 Z0 manually, but still have G28 (home all axes) in you gcode file, this will home the axes using the figure set with G31 in the config.g, and override the manual setting.

Unless you've changed the Y axis ends, and put the microswitch of your Ormerod 1 at the other end of the axis, continue to use the sys folder for Ormerod 1; don't use the Ormerod 2 sys folder. Also, the Ormerod 2 expects a 4-wire modulated probe, rather than the 3-wire probe shipped with Ormerod 1. If you have not updated the probe, and use the Ormerod 2 settings, you'll probably get erroneous readings.

Firmware release notes are on our blog/news. I'll add links to these to the firmware update instructions. The last few are:
v1.09 (1st May 2015) - [reprappro.com]
v1.04 (16th March 2015) - [reprappro.com]
v0.78 (3rd July 2014) - [reprappro.com]
v0.65 (20th May 2014) - [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login