Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New PanelDue firmware 1.01

Posted by dc42 
New PanelDue firmware 1.01
January 27, 2015 04:06AM
I've just released this. Changes since 1.00 are:

Temperatures, speeds and extrusion factors can now be adjusted in steps of 1 and 10
Temperatures being adjusted start off at zero if they are initially negative
Improved touch accuracy near screen edges
File list is now sorted and scrollable
Added factory reset button on Setup page
Fixed problem with print status bar appearing when no print is in progress and extrusion factor is adjusted
Only display 1 homing button if the printer is a delta

The binary can be found at [github.com]. I've only done a binary for the 4.3 inch displays - let me know if you need a binary for the 5 inch display.

I didn't manage to get extruder control in this release, but that's next on my list

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 04:07AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New PanelDue firmware 1.01
January 27, 2015 05:28AM
Thanks for the update, will try later.
I would like to have the file list sorted by date - newest first. I did notice that all files uploaded by the webinterface get 1980 as a date because the duet has no RTC. Is there a possibility to add date/time support to your Duet firmware by using time and NTP libraries? Or preserve the timestamp of the original file while being uploaded? I didn't try ftp do check if this preserves time... In the future I plan to use ftp to upload files and the PanelDue to print.
January 27, 2015 05:39AM
Hi,

i need the binary for my 5 inch display.

kind regards
david
January 27, 2015 06:36AM
Dave

My Panel Due arrived from Tony this morning, I have flashed it successfully with 1.01 FW and the DUET also with 1.00b.

Now it may be me being stupid but I am still seeing all the Homing buttons How does the PanelDue know it is a delta?

Doug
January 27, 2015 07:05AM
If somebody needs it: [www.dropbox.com]

firmware for 5 inch screens. compiled from github sources.
January 27, 2015 09:23AM
Doug, I need to add some more support in the Duet firmware before the PanelDue knows it is a delta. This should be in version 1.00c.

X4FF3, thanks for making a 5 inch binary available.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 27, 2015 09:33AM
dc42
Doug, I need to add some more support in the Duet firmware before the PanelDue knows it is a delta. This should be in version 1.00c.

X4FF3, thanks for making a 5 inch binary available.

Ah no probs Dave I can Wait a little longer like what you have done so far though just waiting on my bed to arrive then I can get it all mounted and tested and hopefully calibrated.

That is when the fun starts as mine is a bit bigger than a mini Kossel.

Doug
Feature idea / request
January 29, 2015 05:29PM
Would it be possible to access a Samba fileshare?

The use of a display on the ormerod would be much more interesting to me if the need of PC could be removed. As I understand it a g-file has to be copied to ormerod as when without a display. Then I could just use a browser to get the same information. But the making the ormerod mych more of a stand alone printer appeals to me. So being able to list and copy g-code files from a samba share (a NAS) would be of great use.

Just an idea IMHO...
I admire all the effort dc42 puts into alll this and greatly contrinbutes to the community.
Re: Feature idea / request
January 29, 2015 06:15PM
fotomas
Would it be possible to access a Samba fileshare?

That would be good, and why is there no DNLA access? grinning smiley

Only joking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 06:17PM by MikeyD.
January 31, 2015 09:35AM
I've just released PanelDue firmware 1.02. Changes in this release:

* Baud rate can now be configured. The default baud rate has been reduced to 57600.
* Checksums are included in all commands sent to the Duet.
* Added option to invert the display.
* Added some quick commands on the Control page (G92 Z0, G1 X0 Y0, G1 Z1, G32).

This version works best with Duet firmware 1.00d. If you use it with an earlier version of Duet firmware, you will need to increase the baud rate of the PanelDue to 115200.

January 31, 2015 10:37AM
dc42
I've just released PanelDue firmware 1.02. Changes in this release:

* Baud rate can now be configured. The default baud rate has been reduced to 57600.
* Checksums are included in all commands sent to the Duet.
* Added option to invert the display.
* Added some quick commands on the Control page (G92 Z0, G1 X0 Y0, G1 Z1, G32).

This version works best with Duet firmware 1.00d. If you use it with an earlier version of Duet firmware, you will need to increase the baud rate of the PanelDue to 115200.

Loving this now Dave need to get this delta completed and printing ASAP (My I3 is giving me lots of grief at mo)
February 02, 2015 03:04PM
Hi dave. Im having a problem flashing the PanelDue with the new firmware, the duet wasn't a problem but every time I try the PanelDue I get "no device found". I've tried it hooked up to the screen, on its own, powered via the printer and every time I get the same. Any ideas?
February 02, 2015 03:33PM
Hi bigben, are you pressing the Erase button and then the Reset button before programming? If your PC is running Windows, open Device Manager, expand Ports (COM and LPT) and see whether the Bossa port is there and what its COM port number is.

February 02, 2015 05:14PM
Hi thanks for your reply. I'm working from a mac with OS X 10.10. yes I'm pressing the erase button, then the reset button. I have been doing everything exactly the same as when I flash the duet but still no luck. I open the terminal window and change directory to desktop (this is where the update file is) then type: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac --port=tty.usbmodem2411 -U true -e -w -v -b PanelDue-4.3-1.02.bin
It comes back with: No device found on tty.usbmodem2411
I've tried switching usb ports but its still the same. I'm a bit stuck on this one.
February 02, 2015 05:44PM
Hang on its working!!! for some reason it was showing up on port tty.usbmodem641, no idea why but its working spinning smiley sticking its tongue out cheers for your help
February 02, 2015 08:11PM
Glad you got it working. As it's a different processor from the one on Duet, I'm not surprised that it shows up as a different device name.

February 03, 2015 03:04PM
DC:

I have noticed in pictures of other PanelDue that the Z probe value is just a single number. On ours, (firmware 1.01) the reading is followed by another reading in brackets which falls off the end of the screen. This reading in brackets also appears on the web interface but it is displayed neatly.

I assume it must be to do with having a different type of Z probe (Standard Ormerod 2 issue). It doesn't cause a problem but if you get a chance in a future firmware revision you might want to edit it out. I have no idea what it represents. It is always the same or nearly the same figure as the standard probe reading. A filtered reading? or the previous reading?
Thanks for the work by the way, the PanelDue really does look good.
Attachments:
open | download - webif.jpg (18.7 KB)
February 03, 2015 03:29PM
MikeyD, you get the second reading when you are using a simple modulated IR sensor with the modulation controlled by the Duet, such as the one supplied with the Ormerod 2 kit. It shows the peak reading when the IR emitter is on. So the difference between it and the main reading is a measure of the amount of background IR. If that second reading rises to more than about 800, then the sensor is saturating because of too much background IR, and the main reading is not reliable.

I'll try to make more room in the display layout to show the missing characters.

February 03, 2015 04:41PM
Thanks for the explanation DC. I've never seen the values differ by much, and they always seem the same when the head stops moving, which is why I assumed it was a filtered reading.
I personally wouldn't miss the peak reading if it disappeared. I only look at the probe reading when calibrating the Z probe, which used to be every time I turned the printer on. For the last few weeks I have just done a 'home all' in the morning, then I send it to the middle(ish) of the bed, lower until it touches (Z pos is usually +/- 0.1 or 0.2mm), hit 'Zero Z axis' and start printing.
February 03, 2015 06:07PM
My Ormerod lives in a room with a south-facing window. When I was using a simple modulated IR sensor (similar to the one that now ships with the Ormerod 2), the peak reading was essential on sunny days, so that I knew whether I needed to draw the window blind or not.

February 04, 2015 08:40PM
David,

On 1.02, the G1 X0 Y0 actually says G1 X0 X0.

Pete.
February 07, 2015 03:09PM
I've just released PanelDue firmware 1.03. Changes in this release:

Corrected typo in quick commands
SD card files can now be deleted
Added "Are you sure?" dialog
Beep volume can be adjusted
Separate button to save settings
Show baud rate on Settings screen

A binary for 4.3 inch screens can be found via [github.com].

February 16, 2015 07:37AM
Can the SD card slot on the LCD screen be used in place of the micro SD on the Duet board? I ask as trying to have a tidy install and the duet cased means the micro sd is hard to get to. With the LCD's SD slot being nice and easy it makes sense to utilise it. Thanks in advance!
February 16, 2015 08:43AM
wayno complaino
Can the SD card slot on the LCD screen be used in place of the micro SD on the Duet board? I ask as trying to have a tidy install and the duet cased means the micro sd is hard to get to. With the LCD's SD slot being nice and easy it makes sense to utilise it. Thanks in advance!

Currently, there is no firmware support on the Duet for a second SD card socket. It would be possible to add, but not trivial.

You can buy micro SD card extension cables from Amazon, eBay and elsewhere - perhaps one of those would meet your needs?

February 16, 2015 08:58AM
wayno complaino
Can the SD card slot on the LCD screen be used in place of the micro SD on the Duet board? I ask as trying to have a tidy install and the duet cased means the micro sd is hard to get to. With the LCD's SD slot being nice and easy it makes sense to utilise it.

I honestly don't see any advantage in utilising it since both dc42's and my firmware fork provide FTP support. That way you can manage files and directories on your SD-card without removing it from the Duet anyway (presuming you have set up a network connection).
February 16, 2015 11:03AM
The advantage would be to people who do not have a connection between printer and PC - which after all is one of the things that the LCD panel is used to achieve (standalone printing), particularly in situations where the printer is physically located in a place that does not have easy access to a network. In that case it may well be far easier to transfer the print files via SD card than carrying a PC or laptop to the printer, reconfiguring the IP address of the PC/laptop and finding a suitable ethernet cable to connect them. This is where it would be advantageous to have an SD card (or other removable memory device) in a more accessible location than the Duet board, and perhaps requiring only a print file to be on it. A full-size second USB connector would probably be the easiest so that a standard USB memory stick could be used to transfer files, but an SD card is sufficient seeing that a USB SD card reader that looks like a memory stick is extremely cheap and could be used to transfer from any PC to an SD card. If it would be possible to make the SD card slot hot-pluggable, so much the better. It may take a while to transfer a print file via the serial link, although G-code files could easily be compressed for transmission at least 50%, and more with a slightly more complex compression algorithm.

It may therefore be worth putting on the list for a future Duet/PanelDuo firmware release.

Dave
February 17, 2015 09:59AM
dc42
I've just released PanelDue firmware 1.03. Changes in this release:

Corrected typo in quick commands
SD card files can now be deleted
Added "Are you sure?" dialog
Beep volume can be adjusted
Separate button to save settings
Show baud rate on Settings screen

A binary for 4.3 inch screens can be found via [github.com].

Dave

Just found that there appears to be a 16 Character limit on the size of the Machine name from the Config.g file. Any chance you could increase it a little?

For example I have set the name to be "Larger Slice of Pi" to reflect what the printer actually is but all that gets displayed is "Larger Slice of"

Hope this makes sense and will be an easy mod but if it can't be done then no worries I'll rename it!smiling smiley

Doug
February 17, 2015 11:23AM
No problem, I'll increase the limit to 30 characters in the next release.

February 17, 2015 11:55AM
dc42
No problem, I'll increase the limit to 30 characters in the next release.

Ta V much as we say in Yorkshire

Doug
February 17, 2015 04:57PM
i updated my binary file for 5 inch screens to 1.03: [www.dropbox.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login