Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability

Posted by dc42 
PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability
January 08, 2015 12:44PM
I am pleased to announce that manufacture of my touch-screen controller for the Ormerod has commenced. For those of you who have not been following the thread about it, the fitting instructions and some more pictures of it are at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

If you want one of these for your Ormerod, you have two options:

1. Buy the board + connectors from me. Buy the display yourself, and make up the 4-way connector cable yourself. You will need some wire and a crimping tool. If there is demand, I might be persuaded to supply ready-made cables for an extra charge. I do not intend to offer displays.

2. Buy a complete kit (board + display + cable) from Think3DPrint3D. T3P3 have not yet announced prices and availability, but expect an announcement from them soon.

I expect to be shipping these boards from about 21 January, so I am accepting orders now. The price of the board + connectors is GBP39.50 + shiping + VAT when applicable. This comes to the following totals:

UK               49.92
EU VAT paid      58.13
Europe no VAT    48.44
Rest of world    49.51

The "Europe no VAT" price is for countries in Europe but outside the EU, and also for EU VAT-registered (and also VIES-registered in the case of Italy) entities.

To order, please send me a PM with the following information:

1. What you want to order
2. Which country you want it delivered to.
3. How much you expect to pay.
4. Your Paypal email address.
5. If you are EU VAT-registered and claiming the "EU no VAT price", your VAT registration number.

I will send you a Paypal payment request when I have a firm delivery date for the boards.

Please note:

* The board works with recent versions of my firmware fork (e.g. 0.78za-dc42). zpl's fork should also support it, but this has not been tested yet. The board will not work with the RepRapPro 0.78c release, which lacks support for the serial port that the PanelDue connects to.

* The board has to be connected to 4 expansion pins of the expansion connector on the Duet, or the expansion connector on the DueX4. So you need enough depth in your enclosure to make these connections.

* Displays that appear to be compatible include:

1. [imall.iteadstudio.com] (tested and working)
2. [www.ebay.co.uk] (earlier version of board tested and working)
3. [www.ebay.co.uk] (not tested)
4. [www.ebay.co.uk] (not tested)
5. [www.sainsmart.com] (not tested)

I have not tested numbers 3, 4 and 5 but to me they look identical to #2. There are many similar-looking boards available on eBay. The important features are 4.3 inch 480x272 pixels, on-board SSD1963 display controller and XPT2046 or compatible touch controller, and 40-pin connector supporting 16-bit parallel interface with the correct pinout. Note that boards shipped from China typically take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. Some of these boards are available locally in some countries, but generally at much higher prices that direct from China.

The board also works with the Itead 3.2" widescreen display, however I may withdraw support for this board in future firmware released. The board also works with the Itead 5" 800x480 display, but the firmware currently treats it the same as the 480x272, so it doesn't use all of the screen area.

* Power consumption of the board+display is nearly 300mA @ 5V. When used on an Ormerod 2, this will increase the power dissipation in the linear voltage regulator by around 2W. It is possible that additional cooling will be needed (I don't have an Ormerod 2 to test with).

* The firmware is rather basic at present. I intend to add some more functions before shipment, but expect the firmware to change rapidly for several weeks. You can update the firmware using bossac and a USB cable, exactly as you do for the Duet.

* Still needed is a design for a printable enclosure. A couple of Ormerod owners did provisional designs, but they need to be completed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Re: PanelDue (touch-screen controller for Ormerod) availability
January 08, 2015 01:08PM
Hi,

i already ordered a controller from you..

For german Ormerod friends,

exptech.de sells the ITDB02-4.3 Display
January 08, 2015 01:34PM
muggi
For german Ormerod friends,

exptech.de sells the ITDB02-4.3 Display

Good catch! I also just found it on hackspark.fr and shop.boxtec.ch.

Note that the ITDB02-4.3 has the connector at the bottom edge of the panel, whereas the alternative (cheaper) display has it on the side. This affects the layout of the enclosure that you print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 09, 2015 01:36PM
As David has said we have ordered a bunch of his boards and are in negotiations with a screen supplier to bring the price down. We will announce the details shortly (next few days) and put a pre-order up on out website for those who want the complete Kit. We aim to cost broadly the same as self sourcing each of the components (+ a small amount for labor and testing).

We have tested the pre-production version of the board and display and the touch accuracy is excellent- just prod away with your fingers.

I am considering the option of providing a small extension cable as an option so the board can be accommodated behind the display.

Tony

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
January 09, 2015 05:41PM
Tony ... You make me wait a second to see what the package cost is now!
I woukd welcome the extension cable or I woukd see to make one myself.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
January 11, 2015 03:14PM
For those of you who want a complete Kit the pre-order is up on our website:

PanelDue Kit from Think3dPrint3d

As it says in the product description we have not yet received the bulk batch of displays, so while we aim to start shipping the kits soon after David finishes production of the boards - its not guaranteed.

The kits will contain David's board, a 4.3inch Display, cables and will be individually tested with a Duet before shipping. They may also contain a short extension cable to allow the board to be fitted behind the display rather than on the side.

Cheers

Tony

P.S. any questions please email us (contact details on our website) in preference to the RepRap forums PM system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2015 06:28PM by T3P3.

January 12, 2015 07:12AM
A number of you have requested a ready-made cable with the controller board, so I have decided to offer them (instead of just connectors) for an additional GBP4.00, + VAT where applicable. The standard length will be 500mm, but let me know if you want something different. The cable will be designed to mate with the left hand end of the expansion connector on the Due (not the one on the DueX4, which has a different pinout).

If you have already placed an order with me and wish to change your order to include a ready-made cable, send me another PM, preferably with "Amend Panel Due order" as the subject.

January 12, 2015 11:41AM
Thanks to those of you who have placed orders. I have not acknowledged them individually, but I will be sending the PayPal requests out on Thursday or Friday. So feel free to nudge me if you don't receive a PayPal request by Saturday.

I have just heard from the PCB assembly company that the first few boards have gone through the SMT soldering oven.

January 15, 2015 10:48AM
The assembled boards arrived from my subcontractor today (earlier than expected), and I have programmed the first 8 of them. I am about to start send out payment requests for the orders I have already received.

Just to be clear, here are the prices in GBP including shipping, with and without the pre-made cable.
            With connectors   With cable
UK               49.92           54.72
EU VAT paid      58.13           62.93
Europe no VAT    48.44           52.44
Rest of world    49.51           53.51

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 11:51AM by dc42.

January 15, 2015 11:35AM
That's excellent news DC!

I ordered one of the full kits from T3DP3D yesterday. It's like waiting for Christmas all over again!

I opted for the all in, as I've had issues with LCD's in the past.

Keep up the good work!
January 15, 2015 01:11PM
Same here. I ordered the full kit and looking forward to get it.

January 15, 2015 05:02PM
Hi, Everyone:

Do you have any good idea to stabilize this PanelDue onto the assembled OM2? Is it good idea to install it against the side of Duet case like this photo shown?

I assume the PaneDue stands aside the OM2 in David's photos . I hope there are some ways to integrate PanelDue onto the body of OM2, then the whole printer can be easily carried. do you have any good

idea?

thanks!

RepRapPro China 技术支持团队

西安锐普3D打印机有限公司
www.reprappro.com.cn
January 15, 2015 06:49PM
Personally I think it needs to be near where the action is taking place so you can see the print and the LCD at the same time.
So if it is to be mounted permanently it needs to be somewhere on the other side of PSU.
Alternatively, floating so it can be held in the hand for use whilst printing, with a docking point where you suggest for when moving the printer.
January 15, 2015 08:07PM
I was thinking of putting mine on top of the Z axis. The cable could be run up the rear right channel in the extrusion.

January 16, 2015 01:19AM
I agree with dc42. And it gives also the opportunity to make a goo closure also for the floating rod.

January 19, 2015 06:03AM
dc42 do you have an estimated shipping date?
January 19, 2015 06:45AM
I'm hoping to ship the paid-up orders I already have today, but as I have to wait for a parcel to be collected first, I may miss the post.

January 19, 2015 12:29PM
All paid-up orders have gone in today's post.

EDIT: the boards are running up-to-date firmware, so no need to reprogram them yet. Recommended Duet firmware is 0.80c from my 'delta' branch. I will publish a list of other compatible firmware soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 01:30PM by dc42.

January 20, 2015 09:05AM
Hi
my panel due has arrived and lights up one of my lcd the other lcd is dead - cause unknowm
I can see both paneldues on windows when connected by usb and screen works on both
When I connect to duet neither board lights up my working lcd
disconnect and try usb and all works
what am I missing

Bob H
January 20, 2015 09:25AM
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. If both PanelDue boards show up in Windows, then I guess you pressed the Erase buttons to erase the firmware. The boards don't show up in Windows after they are programmed.

If the display panel doesn't light up when powered from the Duet alone, this suggests that there is a break in continuity in the 5V connection or the ground connection from the Duet to the PanelDue. This may be caused by miswiring or by a bad crimp connection (this can happen even when using the proper crimp tool - which is why I test the cables I make up before I send them out). You can verify this by checking for 5V between the 5V and Ground pins at the back of the 4-pin Molex connector on the PanelDue.

January 20, 2015 09:55AM
Hi DC,

Parcel arrived in the wet and windy South West today, board look excellent and I expect the code is just as good.

Many thanks.
Kevin

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
January 20, 2015 10:22AM
Hi
I think I have dyslexia as far as connections go
wiring was wrong now all works fine but one lcd is dead swapped out the paneldue and altenate lcd work fine
Anyone designed an enclosure for this my cad abilities are worse than my reading wiring so cannot design my own

Bob H
January 20, 2015 01:58PM
bobexuk
Anyone designed an enclosure for this my cad abilities are worse than my reading wiring so cannot design my own

Not yet, but when it arrives from Think3DPrint3D I will ask my DesignSpark expert to do one. Question for DC42: Will the enclosure be OK fully enclosed, or should we incorporate some vents to let any heat escape?
January 20, 2015 02:11PM
UPDATE: We should get an initial block of boards from David tomorrow or Thursday post dependant, and the screens have just arrived. We will begin testing ASAP and will soon be contacting those who have pre-ordered boards to give them a confirmation of shipping dates.

We will fulfil all pre-orders before opening up sales on the website to general orders, in the order that the pre-orders were placed.

Cheers

Tony

January 20, 2015 02:32PM
MikeyD
bobexuk

Not yet, but when it arrives from Think3DPrint3D I will ask my DesignSpark expert to do one. Question for DC42: Will the enclosure be OK fully enclosed, or should we incorporate some vents to let any heat escape?

It's always good to have at least some ventilation unless there are good reasons not to, though I doubt that David's design has any particularly power-hungry components, and modern LCD backlights don't generate a lot of heat.

Dave
January 20, 2015 03:05PM
MikeyD
Question for DC42: Will the enclosure be OK fully enclosed, or should we incorporate some vents to let any heat escape?

The power consumption of the PanelDue with various displays is listed in the instructions page at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. The display backlights are quite power-hungry, around 250mA. Unfortunately, both the supported 4.3 inch displays drive the display inverter from 3.3V, either by requiring 3.3V power in the first place or by running the display inverter from their internal regulated 3.3V supply. If it were possible to run the inverter from 5V - as it is with the Itead 5 inch display - then the current requirement would be lower. As it is, the total power required is nearly 300mA @ 5V, which comes to 1.5W. This should just be OK without ventilation, nevertheless I recommend some small ventilation holes be included.

There were some provisional designs described in the original thread about this display. Unfortunately, none of the folks describing their designs attached their OpenScad files. If they would care to make them available, I can amend them to suit the final dimensions.

January 20, 2015 03:55PM
Thanks, ventilated it shall be then. We recently printed a stepper driver board enclosure with some really neat looking 'louvers' around the side walls for ventilation so I will ask him to incorperate the same.
I have an idea for attaching it to the printer by printing something which slides over the existing Z upper mount, and connects to the PanelDue enclosure with at least a tilt adjust. Until I get the board and make an enclosure I can't convince myself it will be rigid enough. Might have to make a modified Z upper mount.
Anyway I will share whatever we come up with but it may be a while as I only put in the purchase req. today.
January 21, 2015 01:54AM
If you put it there, make a mount that also locks the z rod :-)

January 21, 2015 07:18AM
Fpex
If you put it there, make a mount that also locks the z rod :-)

No, that's a bad idea. If the rod is fixed at the top, then the three points on the rod (bottom, Z nut and top) will have to be in 100% perfect concentric alignment and the threaded rod 100% straight otherwise sideways forces will be exerted on the Z nut as the rod rotates and hence to the X arm. With the top of the rod floating (as it is), any eccentricity or bend in the rod is translated harmlessly to a eccentric movement at the floating top of the rod. By all means make a cap over the threaded rod, but leave room for it to whip around off-center.

Dave
January 21, 2015 08:16AM
@dc42
Here are the designs I ended up with months ago. The LCD box is based on the original by Dave (dmould) - thank you

I haven't been able to finish them but please feel free to modify and use as required.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Attachments:
open | download - appjaws-LCD-mount-v1.scad (2.7 KB)
open | download - appjaws-LCD-box-with-mount-v2.scad (13.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login