Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

huge hotend venting improvement

Posted by tstone 
huge hotend venting improvement
November 27, 2014 12:45AM
Hi Ormerodders

I have just created a much improved venting duct for the hotend. It gives a great improvement when printing fine details in PLA.
improved Ormerod 2 fan duct
Besides the linked 3d printed part you need to exchange the fan with a 6cm version.

Improvements over the stock fanduct:
*venting from two sides
*venting of the heatnozzle above the heater
*cooler is vented seperatly
*single part design

Assembly:
Get the cooler of you old hotend. Push it with the flat side upwards into the opening for the cooler.
Use the normal screws of the hotend to attach the aluminium cooling block with the fitted extruder as described in the original documentation.
Mount the fan on the other side blowing into the duct with tapping screws.

I think you can up the temp of the hotend a few degres for best results but even the same print files will get much better.

Have fun
Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 12:51AM by tstone.
Attachments:
open | download - fanduct.png (11.4 KB)
Re: huge hotend venting improvement
November 27, 2014 05:34PM
Mh, nearly a hundred views and no comment. Well ok i think i have to get some bait :-)

First here is a small print same gcode left is without and right is with my mod:

Sorry for the photo quality the light situation is not the best and these parts are just small.

Then there is a challenge for you: print the attached stl file with your Ormerod (2) and see if you can get better than this:

The left one is the single object print. The right is a multi (6x) copy print.

But don't cheat and print multipe of these as this is much easier as there is more time for cooling for the filament!

So just print one copy of the attached stl file. Don't worry its really small so you won't waste to much plastic.
Attachments:
open | download - haus2.stl (5.8 KB)
November 28, 2014 07:55AM
The amount of cooling is very much a compromise, and it is certainly not a question of the more the better. Too little and the part can lose its shape, especially on layers with small areas like the roof of the house as you show, in addition bridges and overhangs do not print so well without cooling - but too much cooling and the layer bonding becomes weak (including the bond of the first layer to the print bed). There are also the factors of the hotend temperature and type of plastic that affect the optimum amount of cooling. How strong the layers need to be bonded depends on the type of part and what it is going to be used for, so an ornament would be OK with more cooling than, say, a vase (won't be watertight) or a gear shaft (will break under load).

Variable cooling is by far the best way to go, with the amount of cooling being varied according to the place in the part that is being printed. The Ormerod design uses the same fan to cool both the extruded plastic and the filament before it enters the hot nozzle, so while some speed variation of that fan would be possible, it cannot be slowed too much otherwise the filament would start melting before it got to the nozzle (which will create a blockage and gum up the whole works). What is needed is a way to control the cooling of the extruded plastic independently of the cold block cooling. That could be done with a separate fan, or by adjustable baffles, or by using a different method to cool the cold end. In addition the cooling air needs to be directed pretty tightly, because if fairly large sections of the already printed part are cooled it will tend to make the part warp - it is only the top of the newly extruded plastic that needs to be cooled for a brief time. The weight of the X carriage cannot however become too great otherwise you will start getting mechanical problems, so design changes need to be considered very carefully.

I certainly need to improve the cooling on my printer. At present I have removed the filament cooling completely, because I print ABS which does not require cooling for the bulk of the print. The higher melting point of ABS means that it naturally cools and solidifies more rapidly than PLA in still air (rate of cooling is a function of difference in temperature). It also means that the part is more prone to warping. I experienced bad warping with the original Ormerod arrangement, if I were to fit your design I suspect that my prints would be splitting apart before they were 3mm thick! I do however need cooling on some parts of some prints. At present I use various workarounds - to print your house I would print more than one at a time for example, and I will often split parts into sections and glue them together after they have printed so that I can avoid having bridges or overhangs in any section.

Dave
November 28, 2014 08:52AM
Hi Tim

May try your challenge this weekend!

Also note that Reprap have changed the design in new Ormerod 2 kits, and put in single laser cut part instead of the old duct system (now part of documentation here [reprappro.com]

I am considering having the part laser cut and going that way, but want to gain some more hands on experience as well. As Dave points out, a lot of this is down to experience and properly planning prints.

I think a lot of newbies like me come into this thinking printing is printing - and in reality the true craft lies in manipulating method and machine from print to print depending on requirements.

On the other hand, its users enthusiastically changing and experimenting that makes this such a great platform to work with!

Cheers

James
November 28, 2014 09:48AM
Hi James

jamesf
May try your challenge this weekend!
I am looking forward to it.

jamesf
Also note that Reprap have changed the design in new Ormerod 2 kits, and put in single laser cut part instead of the old duct system (now part of documentation here [reprappro.com]
I was a bit unclear i guess. I have an Ormerod 2. And my print replaces the heatsink duct and the fan duct of the Ormerod 2.

jamesf
I am considering having the part laser cut and going that way, but want to gain some more hands on experience as well. As Dave points out, a lot of this is down to experience and properly planning prints.
Sorry you lost me here. Are you talking of the insulator part? This could be easylie done out of wood with a saw and a drill.

jamesf
I think a lot of newbies like me come into this thinking printing is printing - and in reality the true craft lies in manipulating method and machine from print to print depending on requirements.
Well i have been learning a lot the last weeks... and it gets better and with the feedback from here :-)

Best regards
Tim
November 28, 2014 01:16PM
Hi Tim
no I understood your modification perfectly. To quote the new ormerod 2 documentation

"The laser cut fan spacer replaces the heatsink-duct and fan-duct in the assembly, and is sandwiched between the fan and the heatsink. Make sure it is orientated as shown in the picture, with the extra lug sticking out the side; it is to mount an optional fan onto, which will be released shortly."

If you go look at the hot end construction documentation there are now images of both versions. The one we have, and the new acrylic design (without the printed ducts) included in kits since late October

Cheers
James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 01:18PM by jamesf.
November 28, 2014 03:32PM
Hi James
jamesf
If you go look at the hot end construction documentation there are now images of both versions. The one we have, and the new acrylic design (without the printed ducts) included in kits since late October
You are right, i just stopped above the last picture with the new part. Well if they still have a fan only blowing from one side it wouldn't be so much of an improvement as i saw prints which where fine on the fan faced side but on had a bulge on the backside.

Best regards
Tim
November 28, 2014 04:10PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for your feedback!

dmould
The amount of cooling is very much a compromise, and it is certainly not a question of the more the better. Too little and the part can lose its shape, especially on layers with small areas like the roof of the house as you show, in addition bridges and overhangs do not print so well without cooling - but too much cooling and the layer bonding becomes weak (including the bond of the first layer to the print bed). There are also the factors of the hotend temperature and type of plastic that affect the optimum amount of cooling. How strong the layers need to be bonded depends on the type of part and what it is going to be used for, so an ornament would be OK with more cooling than, say, a vase (won't be watertight) or a gear shaft (will break under load).
[\quote]
Especially the part with the layer bonding is interesting. I haven't seen effects like that with my mod so far but i will take a look. So far with every print i compared the prints came out better. I also had no problems with warping so far.

dmould
Variable cooling is by far the best way to go, with the amount of cooling being varied according to the place in the part that is being printed. The Ormerod design uses the same fan to cool both the extruded plastic and the filament before it enters the hot nozzle, so while some speed variation of that fan would be possible, it cannot be slowed too much otherwise the filament would start melting before it got to the nozzle (which will create a blockage and gum up the whole works).
From what i have observered i can say that when the heatsink air must not go through the part venting there is much more cooling so i am pretty sure that my 6cm fan is
pretty oversized. I currently had an old spare from an cpu fan which is 1.5cm thick but i have seen 1cm thick 6cm fans wich have the same weight as the smaller fan.
So i think there would be some headroom going down with the turn rate of the fan. Also note that there is a small hole above the hotend which cools the hotend just below the heater
from above. I have the impression that this also helps controling the filament as the temperature gradient to the hotend gets steeper.

dmould
What is needed is a way to control the cooling of the extruded plastic independently of the cold block cooling. That could be done with a separate fan, or by adjustable baffles, or by using a different method to cool the cold end. In addition the cooling air needs to be directed pretty tightly, because if fairly large sections of the already printed part are cooled it will tend to make the part warp - it is only the top of the newly extruded plastic that needs to be cooled for a brief time. The weight of the X carriage cannot however become too great otherwise you will start getting mechanical problems, so design changes need to be considered very carefully.
I looked already at the weight of my solution. So with a slimmer fan i think it should be only a few grams heavier. The variable airflow suggestion seems pretty hard to come by with: For a complete solution you need support from the complete software stack and you need the hardware capable of controlling the airflow. But well i think it would be possible to build a flap
into my mod with some small modifications. It would be manually controlled for the first test but it would be a approach to test if variabillity makes some sense.

dmould
I certainly need to improve the cooling on my printer. At present I have removed the filament cooling completely, because I print ABS which does not require cooling for the bulk of the print. The higher melting point of ABS means that it naturally cools and solidifies more rapidly than PLA in still air (rate of cooling is a function of difference in temperature).
It also means that the part is more prone to warping. I experienced bad warping with the original Ormerod arrangement, if I were to fit your design I suspect that my prints would be splitting apart before they were 3mm thick! I do however need cooling on some parts of some prints. At present I use various workarounds - to print your house I would print more than one at a time for example, and I will often split parts into sections and glue them together after they have printed so that I can avoid having bridges or overhangs in any section.
I have not printed ABS. So i have no experience with that. But my experience with PLA showed me that the cooling from one side is far from optimal and it also cools some parts to much
and others farer away from the venting outlets cool slower so that you get worse warping than with cooling from different sides. Also note that i only have to venting outlets not directly pointed at the hotend which should give the filament some time to bind to the other layers before hit by the airstream. My hope in the arrangement of the two vents was also that by creating a whirl about the hotend that there is a nice cirular temperature gradient for smooth cooling.

I know that get perfect results if i print the house above six times that i get pretty good (not to say perfect :-) results. In fact the house in the background is printed in a batch of six and every house came out at least good some nearly perfect (with the 0.5 nozzle i have). But i think printing only one house shows the problems of the stock solution pretty well.

Thinking again for the variable cooling stuff: I think using two small fans is a worse solution than using a lighter bigger fan which has better airflow efficency than a small fan and nearly the same weight. So i think using some flaps to control the venting is a better aproach. This flap could be controlled by a sub micro servo with about 3.7g (ultra micro 1.7g) which shouldn't be a problem from a weight perspective.

Best regards
Tim
December 02, 2014 06:16PM
Hi Dave
dmould
Variable cooling is by far the best way to go

Well i have just printed and updated the scad, stl files linked above to a version with flap to control manually the airflow going below the hotend:

flap open

flap closed

side view with manual lever for controlling airflow.

I have not mounted it yet but thats the next thing i will do.

It would be interesting to hear if this works for ABS printing, as i am currently only on PLA.

Best regards
Tim
January 25, 2015 06:41PM
I just got around to adapt my hotend to the ir distance sensor by dc42.

I also noticed that i haven't posted a picture of it completly mounted:

The ir sensor of dc42 is a little to short so i had to block out some airflow of the larger fan.
Hopefully the larger vents at the hotend make up for this.

The flap is manually controlled by the lever at the side but eventually a servo will do this automatically.

The air from the hotend cooling is seperate and now blown out at the top as blowing out at the side
to much airflow for ABS printing.

I have not printed ABS with this vent but i am positive that the flap will do the trick.

Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login