Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cf bed upgrade

Posted by zeb00 
cf bed upgrade
August 15, 2014 05:09AM
Just finished my cf bed upgrade using Vynz one piece bed support a couple of pieces of aluminium profile from the scrap box and a sheet of 5mm Carbon fibre. Ill write it up a bit better once I finish testing so just a Photo for now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 07:28AM by zeb00.
Re: cf bed upgrade
August 15, 2014 07:59AM
looks very neat
can you check wether the heat is transported correctly throug the carbon fiber?
August 15, 2014 08:17AM
Yes the thermal conductivity seems very good. heat is even and not lagging behind the heater by to much during warm up.
August 15, 2014 08:55AM
Love the one-piece bed support spinning smiley sticking its tongue out - I haven't come across that before; how is it performing for you?... I'm thinking it might make a nice upgrade itself in conjunction with the triangular aluminium bed that many of us are now using...
August 15, 2014 09:21AM
MrCrispi
Love the one-piece bed support spinning smiley sticking its tongue out - I haven't come across that before; how is it performing for you?... I'm thinking it might make a nice upgrade itself in conjunction with the triangular aluminium bed that many of us are now using...

It works well just make sure you get your Orthogonal Axis Compensation correct as its a pretty tall print.

I went away from the alu plate+PCB+ALU+Glass as i found even once level the stresses the clips were putting on the glass it was never completely plane. although i miss the easily removable pintserface the glass gave me.
August 15, 2014 09:41AM
Got it level to 0.05 on all points so printing with bed comp off. Surface was pretty slippy so put a coat of hairspray and gave it a quick rub with some 180grit seems to stick well

August 15, 2014 02:49PM
@zeb00, awesome bed! Did you make the composite plate yourself or bought a panel and cut it to size/had it cut?
August 15, 2014 10:55PM
Had a sheet of 400x250 and cut it on a compound miter saw into 2 sheets of 250x200
August 16, 2014 01:12AM
You should check the data sheet of the resin system used to determine the glass transition temperature. Here's a link of what I am talking about, if you haven't done so already that is. glass transition temperature
August 16, 2014 02:06AM
unfortunately i am unsure of the origin of this plate so i did not have a datasheet for the resin. that being said the usual resin systems in the epoxy we use have a Tg far above what i will be using this at. And even then carbon fibre will generally return to its original shape once cooled even when deformed while at a temperature in its Tg range. I have tested this up to 80 degrees C and did not notice any change in bed level (deformation) .
August 16, 2014 03:32AM
Carbon fiber has very good heat transfer properties which would "soak the heat away", so it would probably require a lot of very hot filament to damage the resin. The hotend nozzle however could possibly "melt a hole" on the surface. Epoxies have a very wide range of glass transition temperatures (Tg), varying between 50 and 250°C, so it would depend a lot on which type you have in that sheet. Anything below 100°C would be kind of bad with a heated bed, but unless you have a very high-Tg epoxy, the hotend nozzle could damage it.
August 16, 2014 06:23AM
jstck
unless you have a very high-Tg epoxy, the hotend nozzle could damage it.
yeah lucky i don't make a habit of running the hot end into the bed and leaving it there but something to watch out for i guess
August 17, 2014 06:45AM
Looking Great. I love carbon smiling smiley

Maybe a Carbon x-rib next ?... cool smiley

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
August 17, 2014 07:49AM
thought about it but I have something else planned for the X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login