Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
May 16, 2015 06:51AM
Darathy
Will you still be making the Ormerod Aluminum X Plate in abaut 1 month? and is it compatible with Ormerod 2?

These items are made in batches, i have 4 left in this batch and can only start a new batch when i get about 8 pre-paid orders, the demand is dropping off now as i suspect most interested parties have one and others are not interested.

they are fully compatible with the mk2 printer,

I would expect this batch to last about two-three weeks based on past interest.

Hope that helps

Dave

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
May 16, 2015 02:18PM
Hi Dave, assuming the part would be posted in the UK I would like to order one of the aluminium X plates for my Ormerod 2 please.

Brian
May 16, 2015 02:30PM
Europa
Hi Dave, assuming the part would be posted in the UK I would like to order one of the aluminium X plates for my Ormerod 2 please.

Brian

Thats great, please visit the shop in the link from my sig below where you can make your purchase.

Many thanks

Dave

May 18, 2015 04:34PM
I have ordered 1 X arm on your website smiling smiley
May 18, 2015 04:34PM
double post ,dont know how that happened xD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 05:07PM by Darathy.
May 18, 2015 04:37PM
Many thanks

Dave

WKM
May 21, 2015 08:48PM
Hi Dave

Just placed an order for your Ormerod2 x-arm upgrade.
I'm looking forward to solving some long term issues that I have recently traced back to the Xarm stability.

Cheers
Wayne
May 22, 2015 03:56AM
Thanks for your order, I am confident it will fix your issues.

Dave

May 27, 2015 08:11AM
Still have a few kits left smiling smiley

May 30, 2015 12:00PM
should i increase Z Motor current after installing the ALu X plate? have it set to 800 atm
May 30, 2015 12:34PM
Darathy
should i increase Z Motor current after installing the ALu X plate? have it set to 800 atm

That's not necessary IMO, I've been using 800mA on my O1 with that alu x plate and that setting appears to be sufficient.
May 30, 2015 03:06PM
zombiepantslol
Darathy

That's not necessary IMO, I've been using 800mA on my O1 with that alu x plate and that setting appears to be sufficient.

Thank you smiling smiley
May 30, 2015 03:22PM
Do you have some kind of advantage using this arm? Okay it looks better and you do not have to be afraid that something will break. Printing quality? But how you should improve it...
I would say totally yes if the x-arm would allow to use the Ormerod (1) also as CNC mill machine.
Regarding the bed support I cannot decide if I should buy an aluminium support or print one.
May 30, 2015 03:31PM
The ormerod will never work as a mill- its just the wrong design and nowhere near strong enough.

The X-arm kit stops the head moving caused by the arm twisting, it also helps a lot when mounting multiple extruders etc.

Since fitting the arm and bed on my machine, I have not levelled the bed and do not use bed compensation when printing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 03:33PM by Davek0974.

May 30, 2015 03:43PM
I was afraid that this would be the answer. But there are some mini drills out there and I only want to drill pcb so in theory there is no more load than using an extruder.
(Plan B would be a Prusa).
Upgrading to a second extruder would be an argument. Can I say argument in English?
I could not see any problems of a possible wobbling x-arm. But let me guess I should reprint the calibration files.
I really have to think about it. There are shipping costs and the price will raise up too if I recalculate it in my currency.
May 30, 2015 03:58PM
It would hold a mini drill, but, with the ormerod design there is no down-force, only the weight of the drill as the z-nut will just separate form the x-arm.

Its an interesting thought though.

So far, 100% of users that have bought the arm kit have been very happy with it and the changes it brings.

Sadly I can't do much about shipping costs

May 30, 2015 04:19PM
Yes I know the problems about shipping costs. It is a little bit crazy. If you get something from Hong Kong or China like filament they pay not much but regarding this short distance...
Never mind I have two questions: Which company do you use for shipping and is the VAT included in price? I hope so, if not how much is it? Luckily there would be no problems with the custom.
What I am really a little bit concern about is that I already paid more than I wanted. (I first wanted to by a K8200, but the equipment was not so good, building needed more time and the stability was poor). I liked that I do not need a computer during printing and the option two upgrade with a second color.
I do not want to blame anybody and I am happy that you offer these improvements but I did not planned this as I bought this printer. On the other hand the K8200 would have caused more costs thats for sure.

But there is one other thing. I saw that you still use the MDF support where the Y belt is connected. As I added iamburny's clamps I noticed that the arm is a little bit wobbly so there is a little bit movement on the bed. Does your kit fix this problem too? Besides there is a bed support that replace this MDF part and it should be compatible even though it also supports the original MDF. and replaces the lower parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 04:24PM by Treito.
May 30, 2015 04:38PM
Hi

a lot of stuff from HK and China is subsidised by their governments, another story there.

I always use Royal Mail for delivery, all my costs are inclusive and so far I have had zero issues with customs.

Yes I still use the thicker MDF bed arms because they were rigid enough to keep, replacing them would bring much benefit it was decided, I think there are printable plastic versions around somewhere which look good.

Dave

May 30, 2015 05:01PM
Okay by Royal Mail I do not know who would deliver here.
Yes I found a good looking long time ago so around last month. That would be the biggest print I ever printed and the Ormerod would nearly come to his maximum printable dimensions (regarding two axis) that would be the easiest one. There are also one part this is printed in many parts and one which need a second rod.

Sorry, but I have still two questions:

1. Can I get the aluminium in black so I would not get any optical difference (little joke, I will replace soon mostly parts maybe all)
2. But important question. I just printed a new X-carriage becuase mine is not working well (the nozzle is not good angled to the bed). Now I saw (of course after the printing was finished) that there is a newer version for the Ormerod 2 where the bearing is on the downside. this version should also be working with my Ormerod. The advantage shall be that it raises the stability of the X-arm. So if using your X-arm which version should I use? I am thinking of reprinting the newer part.

And now I am doing stupid things. I should have bought my Ormerod 2 months later and the aluminium parts could have been for free (because the price dropped at my local dealer).

Thanks for your patience.
May 30, 2015 05:15PM
Hi

I could powder-coat the aluminium but it could not be done free of charge and It might make it harder to get the printed parts to fit on. I cannot do anodising here, sorry.

I only have the mk1 here so maybe another mk2 user could help out with your choices??

Yours

Dave Kearley

May 30, 2015 05:26PM
If you want it black, why not spray paint it? Earlier this week I painted a new aluminium heated bed with matt black stove paint and cured it for 3 hours at 170C, with excellent results.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 30, 2015 05:27PM
As I said above, I was just kidding. Order is placed, nice sum in my currency 98.98€. That is much but otherwise the X-arm makes crazy sounds and maybe I will update to a second extruder so I have not to pay the update at all.
But the update should work. Your arm supports both versions and the "old" MK2 X-carriage looked like the stock one I got.
May 31, 2015 03:43AM
Thanks for the order, will get it on it's way Monday.

Dave

June 01, 2015 11:28AM
Treito
...the bearing is on the downside. this version should also be working with my Ormerod. The advantage shall be that it raises the stability of the X-arm...

the new design is a fix for a problem that do not exist with Dave's alu X-arm, the original version of the X-carriage will do just fine

Erik
June 01, 2015 12:30PM
Thanks Erik,

I know.but the new part will theoretically work with the arm, too, won't it? Only the nozzle mount may not work.. The new x-carriage offers more space for the sensor and maybe I would like to exchange it to the 4-pin variant, but I am not sure for the moment.

Sven
June 01, 2015 01:13PM
Treito
Thanks Erik,

I know.but the new part will theoretically work with the arm, too, won't it? Only the nozzle mount may not work.. The new x-carriage offers more space for the sensor and maybe I would like to exchange it to the 4-pin variant, but I am not sure for the moment.

Sven

Well i did notice that the underside of the Alu X plate is a bit rough becouse of the way it is cut,so mybe it wont be ideal. It will probably impact slightly on the quality of the prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 01:15PM by Darathy.
June 01, 2015 01:45PM
Darathy
Treito
Thanks Erik,

Sven

Well i did notice that the underside of the Alu X plate is a bit rough becouse of the way it is cut,so mybe it wont be ideal. It will probably impact slightly on the quality of the prints.

This is a statement that I can use. So I stay better with the old version. As you say this it totally does make sense. I did not think about this but I should have think about it. The surface of the side will be smoother and I finally got a good print of the x-carriage from iamburny so I have the possibility to change the position of the rod. And to be sure I already ordered a new bigger rod. (10mm instead of 9mm).
June 01, 2015 02:08PM
Treito
Darathy
Treito
Thanks Erik,

Sven

This is a statement that I can use. So I stay better with the old version. As you say this it totally does make sense. I did not think about this but I should have think about it. The surface of the side will be smoother and I finally got a good print of the x-carriage from iamburny so I have the possibility to change the position of the rod. And to be sure I already ordered a new bigger rod. (10mm instead of 9mm).

I was using the new X caridge before i had Alu X plate ,it wasnt ideal ,very hard to attach(i could not tighten the scew holding the bearing. i had to use hot glue to keep it in position) and the bearing was only touching it 0.5mm . The old X Carridge is still easyer to attach.
June 01, 2015 02:13PM
Thanks. As I said I will use the old extended version by iamburny so I have a good chance to get the nozzle into the right angle. This is probably my main problem so that my circles are not looking like circles.
June 04, 2015 03:46AM
Still a few arm kits left winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login