Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
October 11, 2014 05:34AM
I added photos earlier in this thread - it has the same cutouts on the top of the X-arm.
The top X arm (or right side with XT near idler end) is from the Ormerod2

I just used some graphite. I didn't want any oils near the bed surface.
It could use a better lubricant - what do you recommend Doc?

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
October 11, 2014 05:53AM
If there is a call for the arms on the mk2 then I can look into supplying them as before, can someone point me to the DXF files please?

The brass nut on the z rod needs to the long version - about 15mm long and the rod must be in good shape before changing to the brass nut or it will soon chew the nut up.

I find 3-in-1 oil to be good for the rod, just a little.

The nuts should wear before the rod and are easily replaced.

Wear will increase as extruders are added, it is a weak point in the design, only a proper trapezoidal thread would be bullet proof.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
October 11, 2014 06:19AM
x-axis-plate.DXF x-rib.DXF
Davek0974
If there is a call for the arms on the mk2 then I can look into supplying them as before, can someone point me to the DXF files please?

[github.com]
but here are the two DXF files

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
October 11, 2014 11:02AM
Thanks, I'll have a look.

October 11, 2014 02:18PM
Amsterdamman
I'm still working on my Ormerod2, but the X-arms are basically the same. The small cutouts on the new arm allow the extruder tab to lock into the arm. So the old Ormerod1 kit won't even notice the new cutouts as they are lower than the extruder tab. My extruder has been solid and has no need to be more secure.

I find this to be a much more elegant solution to a sagging extruder problem, support on both sides of the stepper, no need to change the x-axis/printed extruder part, just ad another printed part

Thingiverse, Ormerod RepRapPro 3D Printer. Extra support for the extruder:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Amsterdamman
I am getting more wear on my Z rod than I would like. Already replaced it twice and now I have a normal height brass nut on it and can already see brass left behind on the screw threads. Not sure if the added weight of the metal arms is part of the problem. I am looking for a local shop to get a set cut and anodized blue or red!

You should change that for a longer nut, wear is all about pressure vs surface, if the pressure is to high, the oil film will not be able to carry the weight and metal will be gnashing against metal, a longer nut will distribute the weight over a greater area

If you get the ratio right and keep the threads oiled (clean oil with no particles that is) you will not get any wear at all

Erik
October 13, 2014 02:05PM
I've had a look at the mk2 ormerod x plate and rib DXF files and yes they can be made the same as I did before but, I need to add the holes and threads for the fixing screws and can't do this as I only have a mk1 kit.

I would not want to simply copy the mk1 rib as there are differences and I can't tell if the screws would clash with the extruder motor etc.

If anyone wants to give some safe positions for the fixing screws I'll happily incorporate them.

Dave

October 26, 2014 03:16PM
Hi Dave
I was looking to replace my X-Arm a few weeks ago, but been busy at work and missed out. Using the printer today and the x- arm has cracked at the end by the steel rod bracket. can you let me know if you've had any interest in making another batch.
If you can keep me informed.

Regards Andy
October 26, 2014 05:01PM
Hi

Sorry but no, you are the only interested party I'm afraid.

Dave

October 27, 2014 07:04PM
I ma interested too (for ormerod2)
October 28, 2014 03:18PM
Fpex
I ma interested too (for ormerod2)

As I mentioned above, I need to find the possible locations for the fixing screws that join the rib to the plate, I can't do this myself as I don't have an ormerod 2. I have got the DXF files but can't proceed with out these locations, perhaps an ormerod 2 owner could help here?

October 28, 2014 05:24PM
Once i get it i can try to help.
November 12, 2014 05:11AM
I have some laser cut parts for the Ormerod v1. (see attached photo) These are straight off the dxf, not DaveK's improved ones.

I'll sell them for $AU40 + Postage for 1 x X-arm and 1 x x-rib. I have no idea what the postage is, but will find out for someone who is interested.

I have a couple of spare x-ribs as well though i don't know why you'd want one without the other.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20141112_204647.jpg (335.2 KB)
November 12, 2014 09:16AM
I have been away for a while now, but can only suggest that everyone with an ormerod get a pair of these aluminium cut arms and ribs.
Not only does the printer look much better with it, it does its job at -not- bending after a while!

A big recomendation to this upgrades!
November 12, 2014 02:44PM
Sardi
I have been away for a while now, but can only suggest that everyone with an ormerod get a pair of these aluminium cut arms and ribs.
Not only does the printer look much better with it, it does its job at -not- bending after a while!

A big recomendation to this upgrades!

My offer to supply is still open but in the UK at least, sales have all but dried up now.

If I can get some orders I can easily supply these parts again if wanted.

I have the files for the ormerod 2 arms but need information as to where to put the fixing screws.

Dave

November 23, 2014 05:56PM
I would be interested in a kit - if you were to resume your production af aluminium arms.
Also where can I see your Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks?

Thankssmiling smiley
November 24, 2014 01:50AM
Dave, I have an ormerod2 kit still in the box (still finishing off to modify my Mendel). What would you need exactly to get these parts mountable on it?
I will for sure need them as I am moving all my printers to dual nozzle (also my tricolour Mendel) with laptop blower fans for cooling the filament. So I need something stiffer for the arm at least.
November 24, 2014 01:26PM
Aagaard
I would be interested in a kit - if you were to resume your production af aluminium arms.
Also where can I see your Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks?

Thankssmiling smiley

Hi,

There is a thread by DC42 on here somewhere that has a picture of the triple nozzle blocks, these are the most popular.

Maybe someone could help with a link.

Dave

November 24, 2014 01:34PM
Fpex
Dave, I have an ormerod2 kit still in the box (still finishing off to modify my Mendel). What would you need exactly to get these parts mountable on it?
I will for sure need them as I am moving all my printers to dual nozzle (also my tricolour Mendel) with laptop blower fans for cooling the filament. So I need something stiffer for the arm at least.

What is needed is the arm assembling with the extruder fitted into each position, the outer edge of the extruder where it meets the x-arm needs marking on the arm for each position.

Then we need the positions between the marks on the arms measuring from one end of the arm so that holes can be drilled and tapped for the securing screws as before. One screw is the one that holds the z axis runner block and the other five I think are new ones to secure the arm to the rib.

It's a bit complicated to explain but simple in reality, if someone could post a picture of a converted mk1 it would help, I'm not at home so I can't post one.

Once I know the measurements and from which end they were measured, I can see about offering up the kits for the mk2 as before.

Thanks

November 24, 2014 02:04PM
Davek0974
There is a thread by DC42 on here somewhere that has a picture of the triple nozzle blocks, these are the most popular.
Dave

There is a picture of the dual and extra-wide single nozzle mouning blocks at at [www.thingiverse.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 24, 2014 04:03PM
Otherwise tell me which parts you need and I ship them over. If there is a chance to have the alu parts, I rather mount the printer afterwards.
I am anyhow busy making new head for my Mendel.
November 24, 2014 04:46PM
Just had a thought....

Rather than mess about borrowing bits of printer (thanks for the offer) if the screws were M3 countersunk head screws, the position would not be relevant as there would be no screw head for the extruder to hit.

The only downside is that an M3 socket head countersunk screw uses a very small Allen key, would it be better to use a standard slotted screw here instead?

What does everyone think?

November 24, 2014 06:59PM
Davek0974
The only downside is that an M3 socket head countersunk screw uses a very small Allen key, would it be better to use a standard slotted screw here instead?

The Ormerod 1 (not sure about the 2) already uses M3 countersunk screws, and the Allen key for them (2mm) is not all that small IMO. So I suggest you go with countersunk screws, if countersinking the holes doesn't add to the cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 06:59PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 25, 2014 12:52AM
Hi Dave
I would also be interested in a kit (Ormerod 2)
If someone could post a picture of the MK1 conversion I could also help with the measurements.

James
November 25, 2014 04:15AM
Hi Crouchy,

I would be interested in an Ormerod 1 arm & rib at AU$40 + post, let me know how to proceed. My rib is broken and I made an Aluminium angle to support the arm which helped, but it still wobbles a bit when printing, so not good!

I am in Mudgee NSW (2850) Australia

Ray

Another Aussie RS Ormerod
November 25, 2014 07:40AM
dc42
Davek0974

The Ormerod 1 (not sure about the 2) already uses M3 countersunk screws, and the Allen key for them (2mm) is not all that small IMO. So I suggest you go with countersunk screws, if countersinking the holes doesn't add to the cost.

No additional cost for going countersunk, I will modify the drawings and get a price drawn up, should be pretty much the same as before, there is also a possibility I could get a small batch of Mk1's done as well.

Am I correct that the DXF's as drawn originally will be good to go for aluminium versions with the simple addition of the screws??????
I have attached the files that I would use.

Attachments:
open | download - MK2 x-axis-plate.DXF (29.6 KB)
open | download - MK2 x-rib.DXF (19.3 KB)
November 25, 2014 07:54AM
Count me in for the ormerod2 kit.
November 25, 2014 10:48AM
dc42
..The Ormerod 1 (not sure about the 2) already uses M3 countersunk screws, and the Allen key for them (2mm) is not all that small IMO. So I suggest you go with countersunk screws, if countersinking the holes doesn't add to the cost.

But only one and the nut was free-floating - the from Davek0974 supplied aluminum one use six screws through the x-plate and treads in the x-rib

Countersunk screws will fix the position of the ribs, make the x-axis very stable and strong, more so than headed screws that depends on the clamping force - but if countersunk screws is used I would suggest the drilling and countersinking in both ribs be made in same operation to make sure the ribs are lined up and the final x-axis remains perfectly straight

..or the short version: countersunk screws may make your x-rib go banana

Erik
November 25, 2014 12:31PM
I could do with an Ormerod 2 Kit as well. Being an idiot I managed to snap the end off my arm sad smiley
November 25, 2014 12:47PM
Good points, the holes were drilled on a CNC machine so "should" be pretty good, I cant forsee any issues but you can never be 100%.

I looked into an adhesive assembly last time as well, there are some very good metal adhesives, maybe that would be a better option, they would then be supplied as a pre assembled part.

Or, of course we can fall back on the socket head screws but I do need the safe positions for them smiling smiley

November 25, 2014 01:35PM
Davek0974
Good points, the holes were drilled on a CNC machine so "should" be pretty good, I cant forsee any issues but you can never be 100%.

Don't have to be a problem, just saying :-)

I looked into an adhesive assembly last time as well, there are some very good metal adhesives, maybe that would be a better option, they would then be supplied as a pre assembled part.

I like that idea - and that would make it very easy to arrest the x-rib in a wise and mill a perfect straight line for the x-runner bearing if there should be any other pernittengryn's out there...to fix it before the adhesives, you could put one countersunk near the z-axis (there's no place for a headed screw) and a normal headed screw (with a slightly oversized hole in the x-plate) in the other end of the axis

Sorry if I complicate things - my Ormerod1 is running perfectly with you x-rib, thank you :-)

Erik
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login