Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
January 11, 2016 08:29AM
Treito
Maybe you can describe what I can test. What I have to look for in detail. Okay I can bend the standard arm in Y-direction so I would get the biggest problems with high x-values. But does the standard arm really swing that much during printing? (No smartphone. Printing not pregnancy grinning smiley )
I remember that there was a change with my MK1, but I am unsure if this would help with my MK2.

I think the problem with the standard arm is not with bending, but with twisting, especially if you hang more than one extruder drive from it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 11, 2016 08:56AM
By twisting you mean what?
This is really important as I maybe want to add a second Extruder. The Duet shield is already here. As I will not get a new one I am unsure if I use it with my MK2 or with my new printer which will definitely get two Extruders and maybe a Duet 0.85. So if I plan to add a second Extruder to my Ormerod 2 I will need the Aluminium arm?

@Dave it looks good to also place a request.

I found a German distributor which offers laser cuts, but I would have to modify the small part. That is not the big problem. Regarding the big part he cannot offer the small holes. Only if I change to V2A, but the total weight would be raised from about 350 grams to 1000 grams. That is probably too much, isn't it?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 18, 2016 03:52AM
Good News...

We have gained enough interest in the Arm-Kits to start another small batch.

If all those who expressed an interest could please head over to my shop here...
DD Metal Products Shop

And place their orders, I will start as soon as the orders are in, delivery is usually around 10 days from when I start.

Many thanks for your interest.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
January 18, 2016 09:33AM
Just paid for mine Dave.

Order no. 941 ☺
January 18, 2016 09:44AM
steve0-uk
Just paid for mine Dave.

Order no. 941 ☺

Many thanks

January 18, 2016 01:06PM
I've just ordered mine. I am so relieved that this part is available!
January 18, 2016 01:32PM
Many thanks

January 19, 2016 10:49AM
Is it too late or can I place an order, too? And if so until when I have to place it? What about a shim without adhesive components?

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 19, 2016 12:53PM
Treito
Is it too late or can I place an order, too? And if so until when I have to place it? What about a shim without adhesive components?

No still ok, but get in as soon as you can as i have started the batch now so qty is fixed and there will probably be a long gap to the next batch smiling smiley

Not sure what sort of shim you need ?

Dave

January 19, 2016 01:20PM
Okay, you saw my stainless steel ruler? You said you delivered the first batch with a shim for the running bearing? I want to prevent the same damage like the arm of my MK1. This problem ruined some prints with my MK1. I hoped that your first shim fits better than my ruler as it has to be cut and it has to be made smaller at one end if I use the ruler. But it is not important as I will hopefully could get another ruler.
I asked because I did not want to rob somebody else the X-arm. My printet X-arm is working well and even better than the original acrylic one, but you still see differences to the Aluminium version. And meanwhile I have reflected. My self-made Ormerod 2 should be better than my Ormerod 1 in all points and there is a weak point which probably pretends myself in printing faster and better.

So I just placed my order.

January 19, 2016 01:27PM
Treito
Okay, you saw my stainless steel ruler? You said you delivered the first batch with a shim for the running bearing? I want to prevent the same damage like the arm of my MK1. This problem ruined some prints with my MK1. I hoped that your first shim fits better than my ruler as it has to be cut and it has to be made smaller at one end if I use the ruler. But it is not important as I will hopefully could get another ruler.
I asked because I did not want to rob somebody else the X-arm. My printet X-arm is working well and even better than the original acrylic one, but you still see differences to the Aluminium version. And meanwhile I have reflected. My self-made Ormerod 2 should be better than my Ormerod 1 in all points and there is a weak point which probably pretends myself in printing faster and better.

So I just placed my order.

Treat

Have a look at Steel Shim strip they do shim steel in 6mm to 1mtr wide they have 10mm and 12.7 mm that may do what you need and it isn't to expensive either don't know if they have a minimum order qty tho.

Doug
January 19, 2016 01:41PM
Douggie tongue sticking out smiley

I am not living in the UK. The minimum value would be 500mm for 7.41 GBP that means something about 10€. At the local hardware store I can get a stainless steel ruler for less than 5€ that means less than the half amount with a width of 13mm. See also [forums.reprap.org]

I started a How-to to fix the problem that the bearing creates a groove into the X-arm. (Link is above). So I am not interested in having this problem again. I hoped that DaveK has a better suitable shim for providing the needed support for the bearing. Okay at least I only have to buy a ruler at the local hardware store (about 30 minutes) and to cut it to length (about 5 minutes using my favorite tool - a mini cut disc).
The glueing itself wasn't perfect, but okay. I still would like to use my own super glue as DaveK wrote that he had some issues that the shim didn't stick well and that is why he is not delivering it anymore.

January 19, 2016 02:55PM
Dave

order no. 945 is now paid smiling smiley

Hope this will improve print quality smiling smiley

Cheers

Rolf Rune
January 19, 2016 03:06PM
Thanks all for the orders so far.

Treito, if you let me know your order number I will put a length of shim in with the order when they get packed.

It will only work on the version with the bearing running on the back though, i think yours was that one so should be ok.

Dave

January 19, 2016 03:21PM
Davek0974
It will only work on the version with the bearing running on the back though, i think yours was that one so should be ok.

Hello Dave,

I did not get this. What do you mean by this?
My order was: WC-944

Thank you so far so I can compare the shims. But I shortly considered to put the scale of the ruler to the front so it would be visible grinning smiley I only can barely resist. In that case I would have to flip my X-axis and add some sort of arrow to my x-carriage to see the current location on the ruler scale.
Hmm, this could be a gimmick for my own printer design grinning smiley

January 19, 2016 03:27PM
There are two version believe of x-axis runners - one with the bearing running on th back of the arm and one with it on the underside.

I will send a bit of shim with your order when ready.

January 19, 2016 03:30PM
Davek0974
There are two version believe of x-axis runners - one with the bearing running on th back of the arm and one with it on the underside.

I will send a bit of shim with your order when ready.

Many thanks. Yes up to version 528.4 the x-carriage is running on the back-side. Starting with version 528.5 it is running on the underside, but I do not like this version. The backside normally will be much smoother than the underside especially with your kit. For example my nozzle holder is only supported up to x-carriage version 528.4.

January 21, 2016 03:07PM
This batch is now sold-out, please let me know if you are interested in an x-arm kit and I will start planning the next batch.

Thanks

January 26, 2016 01:39PM
The current batch of arm kits is ready and all pre-paid orders will be dispatched tomorrow (wednesday) via their arranged methods.

I am now collecting requests for the next batch.

Thanks

January 29, 2016 12:10PM
Received mine Dave many thanks...

Now who knows how to polish aluminum to get a mirror shine on it?

Now who knows how to polish aluminum to get a mirror shine on it?

Now to polish it to get a mirror shine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 12:12PM by steve0-uk.
January 29, 2016 12:43PM
you can do it, use something like Brasso metal polish, its filthy work though, it also marks up easily when polished. winking smiley

January 29, 2016 06:24PM
Mine turned up too, thanks a lot. Is it just a straight swap for ormerod 2?
January 30, 2016 02:22AM
unstable

Totally a straight swap. Should take you about 10 mins to swap them over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 02:23AM by steve0-uk.
January 30, 2016 02:26AM
Davek0974
you can do it, use something like Brasso metal polish, its filthy work though, it also marks up easily when polished. winking smiley[/quote

Might just anodize it instead then
January 30, 2016 02:51AM
steve0-uk
unstable

That is some sort of rumour. On my last batch I had to file some areas. it is long ago, but I think it took me something about 30-60 mins. I am curious how the new batch will look like. But mounting will take me something about 24 hours. grinning smiley I have no idea how much time superglue needs to finish. As I fixed my old arm I was not able to move my shim anymore after just 15 seconds or so. Thanks Sven why did you write this? Now I am nervous and writing to myself. grinning smiley

January 30, 2016 03:57AM
steve0-uk
Davek0974
you can do it, use something like Brasso metal polish, its filthy work though, it also marks up easily when polished. winking smiley[/quote

Might just anodize it instead then

A much better idea smiling smiley I think you can also dye it a cloud when anodising too.

Yes it is a straight swap, but, there is always a but, it will need some fine fettling with a small file etc, nothing major, its down to personal preference really.

If i did all the finishing then the price would likely double.

Some fine emery paper or cloth will help too, the actual fitting is a doddle, just swap them over and tighten the belt as normal and its away, fitting it on the Mk1 might need a small clip printing to stop the extruder motor twisting but again, not always needed.

Dave

January 30, 2016 04:04AM
Treito
steve0-uk
unstable

That is some sort of rumour. On my last batch I had to file some areas. it is long ago, but I think it took me something about 30-60 mins. I am curious how the new batch will look like. But mounting will take me something about 24 hours. grinning smiley I have no idea how much time superglue needs to finish. As I fixed my old arm I was not able to move my shim anymore after just 15 seconds or so. Thanks Sven why did you write this? Now I am nervous and writing to myself. grinning smiley

To be fair though, your one failed because the X runner bearing jammed up and chewed its way through the metal, this sort of thing does happen - it's a machine after all and machines do fail, just imagine how fast the plastic arm would have chewed upsmiling smiley Your fix was pretty clever though and todays adhesives are well capable of glueing metal to metal in short time.

An engineering fix would be to mill the arm where the failure was then glue in a strip of plain steel - this would last a lifetime but does need a mill and some workwinking smiley

January 30, 2016 08:50AM
That's not quite right. My X-arm failed because the x-runner bearing was not right angled and maybe it was blocked, too.
But that's not the thing I wanted to say. As I got my first X-arm the z-runner mount didn't fit. At least the hole was too short. I testet two z-runner. Both fit in the original arm.
It is not a big deal. I simply filed my z-runner mount as it was easier to do so.

I only wanted to say that it can be that you need more than 10 minutes to exchange the X-arm. The problem is in my eyes the original design. Why it's needed that the cutout for the part is such small?

Nevermind. Secondly I would like to improve the X-arm to prevent any problems caused by a faulty mounting caused by myself.

I only can pronounce that this X-arm is a good idea to improve the quality of the Ormerod very much. Secondly I wasn't able to find find a vendor for the X-arm in Germany which can offer this part cheaper.

So I really hope that there are enough people out there without this improvement. Guys you really need it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login