Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
June 05, 2015 12:11PM
Thanks Dave,
your package received. It is all good except for some scratches at the side arm of the x-arm. Unluckily at the top. Luckily the package was delivered by a company where the depot is near by my work so I could fetch it up after work.
June 05, 2015 01:53PM
Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, scratches are a way of life with aluminium that has a raw surface.

Anodising helps but would make them too expensive.

Have fun smiling smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
June 05, 2015 02:07PM
The scratches are good to see but it is okay. On the downside it would be harder to see but it would have been not so good if the scratches have been on the bigger arm (because of the rod). I worked for some years in the metal industry. My little allergic to aluminium is a bigger problem. As long as I do not hold the parts for more than a half hour it should work. Maybe I put on some gloves. (The allergic is really not very intensive). I hope I can change tomorrow at least the arm, maybe the bed. At the moment I am missing some parts especially a new threaded bar and I need to print clamps for the Y-rod and maybe a new bed to get completely rid off the MDF parts. (Card board -> aluminium bed -> ABS bed). The threaded bar is how should I say shaking like hell and the thread blocks the nut because of dirt. I can clean it but this last only for 2 or 3 prints. All other parts are ready.
I am really curious how stable my heated bed will be.

Now I understand the differences between Ormerod 1 and 2 regarding the extruder. And I was so stupid and printed the MK1 version of the Spring loaded extruder.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 07, 2015 08:45AM
HI Dave
where can I get the dxf or dwg files?
I have to manufacture locally here in RSA shipping etc is too much
tx Ben
June 07, 2015 08:53AM
I *think* they are in this thread somewhere, near the start maybe.

If not there is link to place I got them from certainly.

June 07, 2015 09:50AM
Hello,

I am not able to level the bed fully. In comparison with the documentation from Ormerod MK2 I get level points B+C 5.9mm distance and A 5.8mm. The screws at B+c are at the end and the PCB is even slightly bended at point A so I do not want to exchange the other screws. I hope that this slightly difference will work.
The cause is the MDF. From the beginning there was something wrong. regarding to the beginning this is a very good result as you can see here:
;G30 P0 X60 Y20 Z-0.039
;G30 P1 X60 Y180 Z0.447
;G30 P2 X180 Y180 Z2.947
;G30 P3 X180 Y20 Z2.845 S

Thanks to Dave for the fast delivery (for that distance) in 4 days and the parts. This is sometimes even here impossible.

Regards

Sven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2015 09:59AM by Treito.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
June 07, 2015 12:33PM
Treito
...I am not able to level the bed fully. In comparison with the documentation from Ormerod MK2 I get level points B+C 5.9mm distance and A 5.8mm. The screws at B+c are at the end and the PCB is even slightly bended at point A so I do not want to exchange the other screws. I hope that this slightly difference will work.
The cause is the MDF. From the beginning there was something wrong. regarding to the beginning this is a very good result as you can see here:
;G30 P0 X60 Y20 Z-0.039
;G30 P1 X60 Y180 Z0.447
;G30 P2 X180 Y180 Z2.947
;G30 P3 X180 Y20 Z2.845 S

The problem might be the X-axis plate not square to the Z-extrusion, if you loosen the bearing clamp screws you can adjust that quite a bit - a picture for your visual pleasure:

Erik
June 07, 2015 01:34PM
Yes that could be a problem, all axes must be square to each other.

Also check for the Y axis rods being slightly twisted as that can give odd levelling issues.

June 07, 2015 01:48PM
Thanks for these hints.

The problem is probably the cut out for the single rod. If the bed is not mounted you can see how this end reaches to the sky. But you were both right I did not check the angle of the x-arm. Never-mind. Is a difference from 0.1 mm problematic on a distance of nearly 200mm? If not I would say: never touch a running system. Even though I have still a sticking issue. I do not think that ABS and me will ever get friends.
June 07, 2015 01:58PM
Treito
I am not able to level the bed fully. In comparison with the documentation from Ormerod MK2 I get level points B+C 5.9mm distance and A 5.8mm. The screws at B+c are at the end and the PCB is even slightly bended at point A so I do not want to exchange the other screws. I hope that this slightly difference will work.
The cause is the MDF

You mean you are still using the original MDF bed support? That's the first thing you need to change!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 07, 2015 02:20PM
dc42
[You mean you are still using the original MDF bed support? That's the first thing you need to change!

No I am usind Dave's bed support but this is connected via MDF to the rod. This will be replaced by this thingiverse but there have to be some modifications done before like a new threaded bar for the Z-axis (the original is wobbling and the nut often get stuck), calibration, new extruder body and maybe a spare x-carriage.

June 07, 2015 04:39PM
It's not MDF that connects the bed support to the rod, it's a plywood rib, and that is usually stable enough. But if the front of the bed is too high, check that it is sitting on the front linear bearing properly.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 07, 2015 04:57PM
dc42
It's not MDF that connects the bed support to the rod, it's a plywood rib, and that is usually stable enough. But if the front of the bed is too high, check that it is sitting on the front linear bearing properly.

I am very sorry, this is not my first language. So I was confused by the words. I should be more careful. (I am an idiot, sorry again).
BTT
Do you know how oftwn I checked this? It can lightly slip of the plywood rib (training session) of the rod. It is only nearly straight if I push the rod away - without the plywood rib but then it cannot hold anything of course.
I have now a change of plans. I try to print a new Extruder. The old one I use at the moment is printed in HIPS and does not stay at the desired position. For the moment I fixed it with some cable ties. My old x-carriage is still useable if the new one fails (hidden printing error).
Even if the printing is successful I will not exchange the Extruder but try to print the new part as first. That should also fix the problem.
I have no other idea and good suggestions are greatly welcome.

I have no log at the moment but the problem is indeed bigger than I have thought. I still have to use the auto leveling function. It is partly more than 1mm in height- Much better than before but still catastrophic. Maybe I should angle the x-arm and reduce the angle to 80° or so.
June 08, 2015 01:55PM
That was the best thing I could get:

19:29:05
G32
Bed equation fits points [50.0, 30.0, 0.215] [50.0, 190.0, 0.243] [180.0, 190.0, 0.232] [180.0, 30.0, 0.225]
19:28:22
G32
Bed equation fits points [50.0, 30.0, 0.204] [50.0, 190.0, 0.237] [180.0, 190.0, 0.209] [180.0, 30.0, 0.244]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 01:59PM by Treito.
June 08, 2015 02:14PM
I stoped using Auto bed leveling since it started giving me unrealistic numbers and didnt seem to actualy work , it just didnt make my prints any better . so i just leveled my bed maunualy and since print withought it.
June 08, 2015 02:21PM
I was not able to level the bed manually and I always got very good prints using the auto bed leveling. Of course I do not use it anymore but if you look at my skirt perfectly even. I only used auto leveling for helping me by the manually adjusting and it worked. Now I have to find a way that ABS sticks, but I will try Buildtak in the next few days. I am using blue tapers paint now but for PLA the sticking is too much. With Buildtak the auto leveling will not work anymore- I think so.
June 08, 2015 02:48PM
i have not actualy tried it since i got my alu x arm ,will have to see .but atm i am printing withought kapton tape and dont have the white papers on ,only on Z home i have it taped.
June 08, 2015 02:52PM
Which material do you print? ABS with acetone soup? I would like to have a printing method where I do not have to exchange the print underground when I exchange the material. So PLA can stick on glass, but ABS as far as I know only using some tools or soups.
June 08, 2015 03:00PM
i mostly print PLA ,i dislike ABS due to its bad smell ,only printed nozzle mount in ABS and just used kapton tape for printing it(did have a few adhesion problems).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 03:00PM by Darathy.
June 08, 2015 03:04PM
I found ABS filament that does not smell much somehow even less then PLA but PLA smells better. I also want to print formerly parts for the ormerod only but it is still a long way.

So BTT when I understand it right I (or you) should print the calibration after exchanging the offered printer parts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 03:05PM by Treito.
June 08, 2015 03:12PM
i did print it evrytime i did anything with the axes , i have made my own so i dont have to print the tool aswell evrytime and X-Y part only aswell(attached in post if anyone needs)

You only should need it when you change X-axis parts and Z axis parts. but so far i managed to asemble it withought readjusting my settings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 03:15PM by Darathy.
Attachments:
open | download - calibration.STL (1.8 KB)
open | download - xy calib.STL (1.4 KB)
June 08, 2015 03:20PM
Cool, a headstand. Which tool did you use? I saw also some files on github with the same problem. Meanwhile you can seperate STL-files for both the tool and the axis in Github. The newer one have a great advantage - the legs are marked with the tag of the original axis so you cannot forget it. I did not test it if this works
June 08, 2015 03:47PM
i designed them in solidworks acording to measurements i got from printing the original with 90degree angles. didnt know i can seporate them xD

oh and you have to orient them to axes in Slic3r ,they dont come out as they should(i dont know yet how to make it so)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 03:50PM by Darathy.
June 08, 2015 03:51PM
So maybe Solidworks flips the output. I do not know this program. I only learned Inventor and in private I am using Freecad. It was easy for me to learn - more or less.
June 10, 2015 06:36AM
I have TWO x-arm kits left, I cannot say if there will be another batch as demand is very low now - grab one while you can smiling smiley

June 15, 2015 08:15AM
One left now winking smiley

June 16, 2015 05:14PM
All gone now.

I can do another batch if wanted, will need about 8 pre-orders before I get going.

Let me know if interested

Dave

June 17, 2015 07:17PM
Hi I would like to also order I
June 18, 2015 01:50AM
Thanks for the order Claudio,

They will be a while as I need to get a few more pre-orders in yet.

If anyone else would like one, please order now.

Dave

June 19, 2015 06:46AM
Good news, interest is still there so I am starting a new batch next week, they should be ready for dispatch the week after.

Place your orders anytime to secure a kit.

Thanks

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login