Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....

Posted by Davek0974 
Re: Laser cut Aluminium X-Arm & Rib kits....
March 03, 2016 02:11PM
Ok, thats good news.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 23, 2016 10:24AM
I'm nearly ready to start the next batch of kits, anyone interested in one?

I have also installed a new CNC mill that i hope will allow me to supply these kits continuously as well as possibly some other parts that were not able to be made before.

If it all works out, this next batch will be made on the new machine, fingers crossed winking smiley

March 23, 2016 01:57PM
Davek0974
... as well as possibly some other parts that were not able to be made before...

Hmmm... :-)

Erik
March 23, 2016 09:53PM
hnnnnng
March 24, 2016 04:34AM
I'd be interested in all the extra bits that Erik suggested, if you end up making them. Maybe even two sets (one for the printer at work). And also one X-arm (also for the printer at work, I have one on the home printer already): still need to ask the boss about that, haven't forgotten...

Erik: with your aluminium side-bits, I assume you don't have any problems with the horizontal guide rods being slightly misaligned and the bed height varying depending on whether it is at y=0 or y=200?

Bart
March 24, 2016 04:52AM
I ma interested in anything that helps me fix the Z axis better to the Y axis, Especially now that I am planning to fallen the ormerod. I have redesigned all plastic parts for it, but I can wait for the mod if I can get some parts in hard metal!

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
March 24, 2016 05:15AM
Sounding good guys, lets see how the first batch of kits comes out and we'll see about the extra bits winking smiley

March 25, 2016 07:19AM
Hi
As I mentioned in my post on 10 Feb I am still interested in the metal X rib parts.
I am also interested in the three new parts pictured in Ormerod168's post of 23 March.
I am confused though! Do I order the parts from Dave, or from Erik??
The second picture in erik's post (y-end-support5) appears to be different from my Ormerod1! Erik's photograph shows the plastic part 'y-axis-idler-bracket' as having two fixing holes onto the end plate, whereas my Ormerod 1 has two additional holes for the large counersunk screws fixing the assembly onto the aluminium extrusion (see photograph).
Is this going to be a problem?

Peter
Attachments:
open | download - 2016-03-25 09.59.16.jpg (413.1 KB)
March 25, 2016 07:31AM
I would agree with Erik, but I would like to test printed Y-brackets first whose are of a stronger design and also includes the y-motor-bracket in one print which should give additional strength.
However I would prefer a different design of the y- brackets.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
March 25, 2016 08:36AM
I wonder could the y brackets be adopted to Ormerod 2?
March 25, 2016 09:24AM
The Ormerod 2 is designed with a different distance for the rods and the motor bracket is mounted on the opposite side.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
March 25, 2016 10:54AM
bartdietrich
Erik: with your aluminium side-bits, I assume you don't have any problems with the horizontal guide rods being slightly misaligned and the bed height varying depending on whether it is at y=0 or y=200?

You will of cause have to adjust the acrylic end parts but only once, as the picture shows, the original assembly slips right in between the alu support end parts, when adjusting, the acrylic part swing about the inner/upper original screw hole, to make room for adjustment the outer holes in the acrylic part is made a bit "longer" with a needle file

Erik
March 25, 2016 11:11AM
PeterSimpson
I am confused though! Do I order the parts from Dave, or from Erik??

Time is short and I have a business to run so I do hope Dave will make them available

The second picture in erik's post (y-end-support5) appears to be different from my Ormerod1! Erik's photograph shows the plastic part 'y-axis-idler-bracket' as having two fixing holes onto the end plate, whereas my Ormerod 1 has two additional holes for the large counersunk screws fixing the assembly onto the aluminium extrusion (see photograph).
Is this going to be a problem?

No problem at all, the large counter sunk screws is now under the plastic bracket, fixing the alu end parts permanently to the y-extrusion as it should be, much more solid than the original setup as you picture shows:

Erik
March 25, 2016 11:39AM
The x arms will hopefully be back soon.

All the other bits depend on my new system doing a good job on the x-arms, I will keep you all updated.

Dave

March 25, 2016 12:28PM
Darathy
I wonder could the y brackets be adopted to Ormerod 2?

should not be a problem, guess Dave will them equal, make screw holes for micro switch in both parts so only the countersunk holes is mirrored

Erik
March 25, 2016 12:30PM
Treito
The Ormerod 2 is designed with a different distance for the rods and the motor bracket is mounted on the opposite side.

Yes but the distance for the rods is defined by the reused acrylic parts so should not be a problem

Erik
March 25, 2016 01:04PM
But which design is better? Besides the holes for the flatband-cable are missing at the MK2 design.

March 25, 2016 06:51PM
ormerod168
bartdietrich

You will of cause have to adjust the acrylic end parts but only once, as the picture shows, the original assembly slips right in between the alu support end parts, when adjusting, the acrylic part swing about the inner/upper original screw hole, to make room for adjustment the outer holes in the acrylic part is made a bit "longer" with a needle file

Erik

Can someone please explain the conversation between Bartdietrich and Erik! Was the original machine made with the horizontal guide rods mis-aligned, and the bed height varying between the two extremes of the y axis? Was this intentional? Does this mis-alignment need to be maintained with the metal end-pieces.
One reason it has taken me three years to assemble my ormerod 1 and not got beyond printing the calibration piece is my attempts to get everything aligned and level. If the above is true it appears I have been wasting my time!
March 26, 2016 04:51AM
AFIK, there should no mis-alignment at all.

In a perfect machine ALL surfaces will be true and square to each other.

The rods should be parallel and square to the axes.

March 26, 2016 07:07AM
PeterSimpson
ormerod168
bartdietrich

Erik

Can someone please explain the conversation between Bartdietrich and Erik! Was the original machine made with the horizontal guide rods mis-aligned, and the bed height varying between the two extremes of the y axis? Was this intentional? Does this mis-alignment need to be maintained with the metal end-pieces.
One reason it has taken me three years to assemble my ormerod 1 and not got beyond printing the calibration piece is my attempts to get everything aligned and level. If the above is true it appears I have been wasting my time!

Don't worry, as Dave said above, this is not intentional and you haven't been wasting your time. It seems to be caused by the acrylic end-plates not being particularly rigid. What with all the forces applied to the base by tightened bolts, the PLA and acrylic end bits are the only ones that can give. This can result in the smooth rods describing a slight twist around the axis defined by the horizontal aluminium extrusion. Imagine holding the base by both acrylic end bits and pushing one bit up, the other one down. This results in the bed being slightly higher or lower depending on which end of the y-axis it is on. This will show when you manually level the bed using the corner bolts: once both far corners (closest to the aluminium extrusion) are leveled, the near corners should be too, since the bed is supposed to be flat. But if your rods are slightly twisted, this won't be the case. I still haven't sorted this out completely on my printer, although it's close enough and I can successfully print objects that span most of the bed surface...

Bart
March 26, 2016 07:14AM
PeterSimpson

The design of the Y-axis means that the two rods are kept parallel but there can be a twist along the two length of the two bars. This results in whatever you do you cannot get the bed level. The answer is to take the twist out by adjusting one end, normally the end opposite the motor, by loosening the bolts and twisting the black acrylic end plate.
I found it a nightmare so inspired by many others here made the Y-axis more rigid.

I don't have access to any engineering facilities apart from a drill press, so was limited to easy DIY and printed parts. I bought some angle from B&Q and a length of extrusion cut to the right size.

I modified the Y-axis end plates to remove the foot and printed them. I bolted them together and ran a 12mm reamer through the rod holes to make sure they were parallel. I held the reamer in the drill press but rotated it manually so it was at right angles and didn't melt the plastic.

I adjusted the idler plate and motor mount and after clamping together with the angle used the idler plate as a drilling template. I could then bolt the end plates to the holes and drill the remaining holes. The holes on the angle plate idler side I lengthened to allow adjustment.

I bolted the angle at the sides and bottom to both pieces of extrusion to make a rigid frame.

All worked fine except the carriage just caught on the angle at each end but a quick file solved that.

I didn't like the way the motor mount used the bolt through the back to prevent it twisting so I braced it at the front as I now have a solid surface to hold against and I don't need to fiddle with the screw through the mains connector.

Along with the excellent Aluminium X arm from Davek0974 the printer is now nice and rigid and I don't need to use auto bed levelling any more.

The angle is thinner than I would have originally liked at 1.5mm but as it's bolted to the ends and the bottom it keeps it nice and square with no movement or twist that I can detect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 11:32AM by MattMoses.
March 26, 2016 08:43AM
Beautiful and well thought through mod, thanks much for sharing! thumbs up

trevmas
...The angle is thinner than I would have originally liked at 1.5mm but as it's bolted to the ends and the bottom it keeps it nice and square with no movement or twist that I can detect.

Oh I agree, it is the sides of the angle and the boxed structure that makes you design strong

Erik
March 26, 2016 10:29AM
Thank you everyone for your comments. They have been very helpful.
I am greatly looking forward to ordering both the x rib and the y end plates.
Following up on tremvas's solution and Erik's comments I am considering fitting a metal (aluminium/steel?) base plate to the machine, screwed on to Dave's y end pieces. This would achieve the objective of tremvas's angle pieces and would ensure precise alignment at both ends.
To achieve this would it be possible, Dave, to provide some tapped holes on the underside of the end pieces, then I can make (or more likely get made) a plate with appropriately positioned countersunk holes for screws to screw the plate onto the underside of the machine.

Peter
April 06, 2016 01:00PM
Good news!

The x-arm kits are back in production, if you are interested please visit our shop hereā€¦

[ddmetalproducts.co.uk]

where you can make your purchase.

They are now being produced 100% in-house so there should be no more batch delays etc.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

If those interested in having other parts made could let me have some designs, dxf files, etc I can take a look at them to see what we can do, It will have to wait until I have caught up with orders but should not be long before I can take a look.

Thanks

Dave

April 06, 2016 05:09PM
Thank Dave. I have just ordered my X-Rib. As I have mentioned before in earlier posts I am also interested in the shim to go with the X Rib, also the Z foot and the two Y end pieces.
Thanks again
Peter
April 07, 2016 02:34AM
Hi

thanks for the order, if someone can send diagrams or sketches of the other parts, I can look and see what we can offer as soon as i get a gap winking smiley

April 08, 2016 10:25AM
Presuming these are useful parts here, they look it winking smiley

Pic 1 - foot plate...

Should be easy enough.

Pic 2/3 - end plates...

Instead of reinforcing the acrylic parts, why not go all aluminium here.
Maybe use something like 10mm plate and machine to take the Y axis rods with grub screws to hold them at one end?

Is there a DXF for the end plates?

Worth looking into??

Dave

ormerod168
Davek0974
... as well as possibly some other parts that were not able to be made before...

Hmmm... :-)

[attachment 75176 z-foot.JPG]
[attachment 75177 y-end-support6.JPG]
[attachment 75178 y-end-support5.JPG]
[attachment 75179 alu-parts.JPG]

Erik

April 10, 2016 11:32AM
Davek0974

Instead of reinforcing the acrylic parts, why not go all aluminium here.
Maybe use something like 10mm plate and machine to take the Y axis rods with grub screws to hold them at one end?

Is there a DXF for the end plates?

Worth looking into??

Dave

The latest design for end plates, part 531.1, can be found on Github at:-
[github.com]
These may not be the most suitable for aluminium parts though. My build 528.5 kit came with the end plates from the 528.4 build.

Older versions can be found in the dxf folder contained in the zip files for versions Ormerod 2 (528.0 to 528.4)
[github.com]

and for versions Ormerod 1 (383 and 384)
[github.com]
April 10, 2016 11:55AM
Hmm, tricky one then, is there a general consensus on the best version/design to look into?

April 10, 2016 01:48PM
I would be interested in the foot and maybe a pat that can better lock the Z and Y at 90deg

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login