Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New experimental firmware 0.78e-dc42

Posted by dc42 
New experimental firmware 0.78e-dc42
July 21, 2014 06:08AM
This is now available at [github.com] (follow the link to the version you want and press the Raw button to download). The compatible web interface is version 0.98 at [github.com].

Changes in this release:

M301 and M304 commands to set PID parameters now take an additional S parameter. This allows for variations in cartridge heater power and supply voltage to be taken into account more easily.

Temperature errors are reported to the web server as well as to USB.

The Heat section of the M122 diagnostics report now shows the accumulated PID I-term.

G90 and G91 commands now affect only the the axes, not the extruders.

Bug fix: 'strncat' was called in numerous places with a 'num' parameter that was larger than the remaining space available in the destination buffer.

Bug fix: print moves received just prior to an M109 or M190 command were not executed until after the heater had reached temperature instead of before.

The new S parameter in the M301 and M305 command scales the final heater output. The cartridge heaters used on the Ormerod hot end have quite a wide variation in output at 12V, also some Ormerod owners are using power supplies that produce a little more than 12V so as to enable the bed heater to reach ABS temperatures faster. Previously, accounting for these differences required most or all of the P, I, D, W and B parameters to be changed to get the best results. Now you need only change the S parameter. If you get significant overshoot (more than 3C) when heating the the hot end to working temperature, reduce the S parameter from its default of 0.9. I need to use 0.5 for some of my cartridge heaters. If you get significant undershoot, increase the S parameter.

For a full list of differences between this release and RRP's 0.78 release, see [github.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 06:08AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New experimental firmware 0.78e-dc42
July 21, 2014 03:51PM
David,

Just to let you know, I have been using the 0.78e firmware all afternoon and all seems well.
Paul

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
July 21, 2014 04:38PM
Paul, thanks for your feedback.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 22, 2014 11:33AM
Thanks David, all your changes look good. I only had to adjust the "S" parameter to 0.6, without it my heater temperature was overshooting by more than 15°C (at 250°C), but eventually I could reduce this to ~3°C. Good work!
July 23, 2014 02:21PM
Hi dc42,

feature sugestion: how about a funtion to download the actual config files via the web interface?

greetings
July 23, 2014 02:29PM
muggi
Hi dc42,

feature sugestion: how about a funtion to download the actual config files via the web interface?

greetings

You can already do that - the config folder dropbox is on the righthand tab (not got the Ormerod browser available right now, I think the tab is marked "settings"?)

Dave
(#106)
July 23, 2014 02:51PM
AFAIK this only works for the config.g file. If you want to have a look at your files in the /sys directory, simply use FileZilla or any other FTP client. When you set up a connection profile, you can choose any user name you like, only the password must match the one in your config.g file (defaults to reprap).
July 24, 2014 04:31PM
Just fired up my printer after two weeks, and decided to upgrade the firmware and webinterface to 0.78e-dc42 and 0.98, after doing a quick test print to verify all is well with it.
Now after the upgrade, I can't get the nozzle termperatures to change anymore. I tried the webinterface as well as sending a M104 S185 command, but the temperature remains unchanged. Bed temperature can be set, and the webcontrol seems to work perfectly.
I upgraded from 0.65j, and updated all the files for the webinterface, including the js/css files. The printer is fitted with the first-gen dc42 sensorboard including the ultrasonic sensor. I noticed the fan keeps running as well, even though the nozzle is cool to the touch.
What is it that I have overlooked?
July 24, 2014 04:35PM
You need to add a tool definition in config.g. See [forums.reprap.org].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 04:37PM by dc42.

July 24, 2014 05:10PM
That did the trick. Impatient me forgot to go over previous release notes. Thanks!
July 24, 2014 06:13PM
Been using this version a bit now and Webinterface 0.98
And it works great smiling smiley
So fare I have not gotten the lockup of the webinterface.
But still to early to tell as it did not happen all the time before ether.
July 25, 2014 05:49AM
I have installed this firmware with 0.98 Web interface, and it works like a charm. All I changed was the X-8 value (M208 X-8 S1 ; set axis minimum) to X0.
Did a single 2 and a half hour long print without problems.
July 25, 2014 06:47AM
Sardi
I have installed this firmware with 0.98 Web interface, and it works like a charm. All I changed was the X-8 value (M208 X-8 S1 ; set axis minimum) to X0.
Did a single 2 and a half hour long print without problems.

I'm glad it is working well for you. It's a matter of personal preference whether you want X=0 to be the X homing position (off the edge of the bed) or at the edge of the bed (which is why I set the X axis minimum to -8 on my machine).

July 25, 2014 01:53PM
zombiepantslol
AFAIK this only works for the config.g file. If you want to have a look at your files in the /sys directory, simply use FileZilla or any other FTP client. When you set up a connection profile, you can choose any user name you like, only the password must match the one in your config.g file (defaults to reprap).

No, I'm pretty sure that I have uploaded new home and setbed files to the SYS directory via that web interface. I keep a mirror copy of the SD card's SYS and WEB directories on my PC, and so have no need to download the files from the SD card. The upload speed improvement a while back has been a big boon, since then I have hardly ever needed to remove the SD card from the Duet. Taking it out to transfer print files used to be a major PITA!

Dave
(#106)
July 25, 2014 02:10PM
dmould
zombiepantslol

No, I'm pretty sure that I have uploaded new home and setbed files to the SYS directory via that web interface. I keep a mirror copy of the SD card's SYS and WEB directories on my PC, and so have no need to download the files from the SD card. The upload speed improvement a while back has been a big boon, since then I have hardly ever needed to remove the SD card from the Duet. Taking it out to transfer print files used to be a major PITA!

Dave
(#106)

Dave, I was talking about downloads from the /sys directory and not about uploads.
July 25, 2014 02:18PM
dmould
muggi
Hi dc42,

greetings

You can already do that - the config folder dropbox is on the righthand tab (not got the Ormerod browser available right now, I think the tab is marked "settings"?)

Dave
(#106)

hi dmould,

there is only a upload function. may question was about download from the webinterface.
July 26, 2014 02:18PM
Ok I got the freeze again now with this version.
I did notice that if I pulled the network cable and reattached it again the page woke up briefly and I managed to get the JavaScript console up.
And then it froze again.
No errors in the console.

This got me thinking though. It is a good CAT5 F/UTP cable I made myself so I do not believe that is the problem.
But I noticed that my router refused to acknowledge that anything was connected with 192.168.1.14.
I had previously tried to reserve that IP for MAC BEEFDEADFEED but my router kept complaining that it was an invalid MAC.
So now I have changed the MAC in the config.g to something my router accepts and reserved that IP for that MAC.
Now the router dose acknowledge that something is connected with that IP when the printer is on.
So maybe the problem will go away. Can always hope smiling smiley
July 30, 2014 11:31PM
Not sure weather this release supports this or not. I just got me Duex board and installed it. I created tow tools:

M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Create tool 1
M563 P2 D1 H1 ; Create tool 2

Will the firmware support this?
July 31, 2014 06:30AM
gdwinslow
Not sure weather this release supports this or not. I just got me Duex board and installed it. I created tow tools:

M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Create tool 1
M563 P2 D1 H1 ; Create tool 2

Will the firmware support this?

You are trying to create 2 tools that use the same heater but different extruders. You might possibly get this to work if you always set the standby temperature of tool 2 to be the same as the active temperature of tool 1, and vice versa.

The way that RRP intend you to use a mixing extruder (i.e. multiple extruders drives feeding a single nozzle) is to define a single tool that uses multiple extruders. This isn't fully supported in 0.78, however RRP have added more support for it in their 0.89 dev build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login