Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

059-dc42 firmware released

Posted by dc42 
059-dc42 firmware released
May 09, 2014 03:09AM
Now that I've had a chance to test it on a large print, I've released version 0.59-dc42. This consolidates the changes I introduced in 0.57z and the 0.58 series, namely:

* All web files are served from the Duet, so no need for an Internet connection or local web server;

* If you connect via USB and don't have a network cable connected, you no longer have to wait a while for the firmware to give up trying to initialize the network;

* When printing from SD card or using the "Upload & Print" facility in recent versions of the web interface, print completion times estimated from object height and filament usage are reported.

I've also implemented IP-dependent MAC address so that multiple Duets can be used on the same network.

To download this firmware, follow this link [github.com] and press the Raw button. The recommended web interface software is version 0.74 available here [github.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: 059-dc42 firmware released
May 09, 2014 06:44AM
Hi David, thanks for the hardwork on the Firmware.
Just trying 59 now, and so far so good.
One comment so far, and it's a common problem with all the Firmware is when we Pause a print, then Rest, the Homed settings are also cleared.
It's not a big problem, but wondered if it was possible to leave the Homed Settings intacked after a reset. It's a niggle, as opposed to a problem at the moment,
but often catches me out if I forget.

So far it really does look good... smiling smiley

Kim

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
May 09, 2014 06:55AM
Thank you, it's really good to see the firmware is becoming more and more mature smiling smiley I'll try it as soon as my current print is finished.
May 09, 2014 08:02AM
Hi Kim,

I'm glad 059 is working for you.

The Homed settings are only cleared on a reset of the Duet. A reset can be caused by power down/up, or pressing the reset button, or sending M999, or certain internal fault conditions, or certain hidden M111 commands that I use to trigger those fault conditions for testing purposes. I'm sure I've used the print pause/restore buttons on the web interface and not lost the homed settings. If you lose the homed settings unexpectedly, then please run M111 S2 and see what the last reported reset reason and last software reset code are.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 09, 2014 08:21AM
Hi David, what happend was I'd started a print after homing everything, and noticed the HotEnd had left a PiP where it had homed. That's normal, but I'd forgotten to scrap it of... The print wasn't even half way through the first layer, so I did a pause, reset in Pronterface, homex, to get the HotEnd out of the way cleaned the table, then decide to run my clean.g file to clean the nozzle. The X movement only went half way across the table, and tried to do the clean there.
So, I realised the HomeX/Y/Z was cleared by the reset.
Guessing the Reset Pronterface does, is similar to pressing the Reset button on the Duet.
It's not a problem... As long as I remember...

May 09, 2014 08:30AM
BTW
I meant to mention... I think I know what was causing my X/Y axis to jump a couple of mm....
I had Wipe on Retract ticked... I removed that, and the problems gone.
I think the acceleration on a Wipe was to violent for my machine... Is there a setting for the Wipe acceleration?
Guessing that Slic3r sends a Wipe on Retract code rather than an actual Gcode movement....

May 09, 2014 08:38AM
If I wanted to run the Web (Internet) connection while connected to my phone for Internet, could I do you think?

I have both a regular Eithernet cable as well as a cross over with me, but not sure which it would need.
Ipconfig gives:-

On the SD card I have in the config.g file
; RepRapPro Ormerod
; Standard configuration G Codes
M111 S0; Debug on
M550 POrmerod; Set the machine's name
M551 Preprap; Set the password
M552 P192.168.1.14; Set the IP address
M553 P255.255.255.0; Set netmask
M554 P192.168.1.1; Set the gateway
M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output
M92 E424;

But then I'm stuck for how to set it up.....

Now I've just finished printing the mini cuddling owls, use 59 Firmware, and the finish is tremendous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 08:44AM by KimBrown.

May 09, 2014 11:02AM
First the good news - you can connect a standard ethernet cable between Duet and PC.

Now the bad news: The driver software you installed in order to connect to the Internet via your phone (presumably UScool smiley means that your browser will always try to use that LAN interface rather than your Ethernet interface so it might not work without some fiddling. If you could post the entire reply from "ipconfig" (which could be more than one screen long) I suspect that it will show 2 or more LAN interfaces, and that the one you have posted is not your Ethernet interface. The address is however a private address (not an Internet IP address), and so it should be possible to bridge it to your Ethernet port, but without knowing how your phone interface driver works I could not be certain that it will not change its IP address from time to time. You have 16 IP addresses available in total, but 2 of them are taken, and 2 are unusable, leaving you 12 addresses to assign to other devices.

It is quite possible that the phone network driver has already created a bridge to your Ethernet port or you can tell it to do so somewhere in your phone application's setup utility (the phone utility you installed on your PC, not a utility on your phone). Show the complete reply to "ipconfig" and I'll probably be able to tell. So first try giving the Ormerod an IP address (config.g) of 172.20.10.3, subnet mask 255.255.255.240, gateway 172.20.10.1 With the Ormerod powered on and connected to your PC via Ethernet, open a command prompt and enter "ping 172.20.10.3" If you get a reply, you are already bridged and can skip the next steps. If you get no reply or a "host unreachable" message or similar, then do the following:

1) Assuming you use Windoze (but not Win 8) go to control panel->network connections
2) Look at the network interfaces listed and identify your phone interface and your Ethernet interface
3) Highlight both of these connections together, right click on either of them and select "Bridge"

Once you can "ping" the Ormerod, if you have DC42's firmware & web interface in your Duet, and you open a Chrome browser and type "172.20.10.3" into the top address (URL) bar, it should come up with your Ormerod's home page.

There are also several other ways to skin the cat, but that's probably the easiest - thanks to DC42 for pointing that out in the other thread about "connecting from a different room".
If you use Win 8 or a non-Windoze OS you can still set up a bridge, but it will require a different method.

Dave
(#106)
May 09, 2014 12:01PM
Hmmmm Windoze 8.1.... But I'll try..

May 09, 2014 02:43PM
Oh I found out how to Bridge Networks in Windoze 8.1....Here:-
Network Bridge

May 09, 2014 02:59PM
I still can't Ping it....
Here's the config file :-
; RepRapPro Ormerod
; Standard configuration G Codes;
M111 S1; Debug on;
M551 Ormerod; Set the password1111 P172.20.10.3; Set the IP address;
M553 P255.255.255.240; Set netmask;
M554 P172.20.10.1; Set the gateway
M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output;
M92 E424; Set extruder steps/mm;
G21; Work in mm;
G90 ; Absolute positioning;
M83; Extrusions relative; M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000; Motor currents (mA)
T0; Select extruder 0
; M92 E433; M558 P0; M203 X6000 Y6000 Z750 E3000

May 09, 2014 03:12PM
Oh as far as the networking goes... I've just noticed the IP address it's pinging....

So it changed the 3 to a 9??????

May 09, 2014 03:23PM
Kim, your config.g file listing looks wrong:

>>
M111 S1; Debug on;
M551 Ormerod; Set the password1111 P172.20.10.3; Set the IP address;
<<

The M552 command to set the IP address appears to have been lost. It this really how your config.g file looks, or is Pronterface not displaying it correctly?

:

May 09, 2014 03:31PM
Hi David, I was just looking at it.... and there appeared to be a load of ; missing...

Using Notepad.... I've discovered that I have to turn the Word Wrap off, but you say something is missing...
Maybe I should download the SD files again and start from scratch..

Here's what it looks like with word wrap off:-
; RepRapPro Ormerod
M111 S1; Debug on;
M551 Ormerod; Set the password
1111; P172.20.10.113; Set the IP address;
; M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output;
M92 E424; Set extruder steps/mm;
G21; Work in mm;
G90; Absolute positioning;
M83; Extrusions relative; M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000; Motor currents (mA)
T0; Select extruder 0
; M92 E433; M558 P0; M203 X6000 Y6000 Z750 E3000;

It looks messed up to me...

May 09, 2014 03:45PM
Just downloaded and edited a replacement config.g file...... (I wonder if this is what's been messing up the Firmware then????):-

; RepRapPro Ormerod
; Standard configuration G Codes
M111 S0; Debug off
M551 Preprap; Set the password
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; Set the MAC address
M552 P172.20.10.3; Set the IP address
M553 P255.255.255.240; Set netmask
M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output
T1 ; Select head 1
M92 E424; Set extruder steps/mm
G21 ; Work in mm
G90 ; Absolute positioning
M83 ; Extrusions relative
M558 P0 ; Turn Z Probe off
M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000 ; Motor currents (mA)
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z15 E1000; acceleration tweaks for improved finish
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z300 E3600; speed tweaks for improved finish

Now I have PINGS!!!!

May 09, 2014 04:07PM
Ok well it's working fine now.....
Thanks Guys.....
Oh BTW I'm using Firefox, and the page has to be BIG or Full screen to view correctly, which is fine... And it's all working...

One last question.....

I understand there is a power link I can move on the Duet to get it's power from the 12V supply, but I don't know which one it is for starters, and if I make that link, and forget and plug the USB lead in, will it do damage.
I have a power supply here with a Micro USB plug on it, so I might use that for now.

May 09, 2014 04:19PM
Assuming your Ormerod is not one of the first 220 kits, you need a jumper across JP9 to derive the 5V supply fro the 12V input. DO NOT install this jumper if you have one of the first 220 kits, because some resistors need to be re-installed correctly before this is safe to do.

It doesn't matter if you plug the USB cable in as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 04:19PM by dc42.

May 09, 2014 06:04PM
KimBrown
Oh as far as the networking goes... I've just noticed the IP address it's pinging....
[attachment 32508 Untitled3.jpg]
So it changed the 3 to a 9??????

The phone driver or some other Windoze component must have an internal service assigned to address 172.20.10.9 It is monitoring communication attempts on the local LAN and sends an "unreachable" reply to requests sent to IP addresses that cannot be contacted (that's usually the job of the gateway NAT router, but in your case your software gateway is a different address). "Hidden" IP addresses are often allocated to internal services, and apart from the normal internal 127.x.x.x range are usually 1 higher or lower than the host or gateway IP address assignment. That's why I suggested you assign the Ormerod an address of 3 which is not next door to the known assigned addresses - so there is less chance of a clash.

Glad to see you got it working - getting devices communicating on a network can be a nightmare, so many things these days use (or misuse) the IP standards in unusual ways and auto-configure what is an apparently simple network to a convoluted topology. Sometimes it takes a network monitor trace to figure out what is happening.

Dave
(#106)
May 09, 2014 06:15PM
Thank you very much for your help... It works... I was supprised how slowly a file would go over the network, but I'm sure it will evolve soon.
I've actualy gone back to using Pronterface at the moment. I guess it's what I'm used to... At least I know now that there was a problem in the config file, and I know it will work over the network now if I decide to use it.

Thanks again..

May 12, 2014 04:16AM
New firmware is working great for me so far, thanks DC.

Just a quick question... is the park position hard coded in the firmware or can this be manually set in the config? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 12, 2014 04:24AM
Hi Les, look in the homex/y.g files.... They set the park position after they home the HotEnd for each axis.
(Since fitting the microswitch on my X-axis, I've set mine to toggle the switch, move to the edge of the glass, and then done a G92 X0 to tell it that is the zero position.
It then uses that as it's parking spot). Hope that helps...

May 12, 2014 04:29AM
If you want to set X0, Y0 to the corner of the bed (or anywhere else), you can add M206 X[distance to edge of bed] Y[distance to edge of bed] to the end of the homeall.g, and then individual M206 commands for the appropriate axis, to the homex.g and homey.g. M206 moves the distance suggested, then sets the axis to 0 at that point. This will move your target points for Z homing and bed compensation.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 12, 2014 04:47AM
KimBrown
Hi Les, look in the homex/y.g files.... They set the park position after they home the HotEnd for each axis.
(Since fitting the microswitch on my X-axis, I've set mine to toggle the switch, move to the edge of the glass, and then done a G92 X0 to tell it that is the zero position.
It then uses that as it's parking spot). Hope that helps...

Thanks Kim, I am already doing that but I want the park position to be just off the bed without changing the X zero position.

I have a cheap mini wire brush set and was going to use one for a nozzle cleaner, once cut the head off and make a suitable bracket.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 12, 2014 07:23AM
Les, if by "park position" you mean at the start and end of a print, then this is set by the custom gcode in the slic3r configuration (if you are using slic3r to generate your gcode).

May 12, 2014 07:34AM
dc42
Les, if by "park position" you mean at the start and end of a print, then this is set by the custom gcode in the slic3r configuration (if you are using slic3r to generate your gcode).

Of course it is. Thanks dc, I was obviously just having a no brain moment.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 13, 2014 03:54AM
Not sure if it's a bug or me being stupid again, but M109 doesn't appear to work as documented...

M109: Set Extruder Temperature and Wait

I have it in my z home configs and it will not proceed until both the hotend and bed reach temperature.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
May 13, 2014 04:16AM
Great stuff. I have to admit I only ever use USB so the web stuff is alien to me. However for the first time I am looking to do some physically large prints, so I hope your latest firmware is good for that! Will upload it and let you know how it goes!

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
May 13, 2014 05:30AM
Pointy
Not sure if it's a bug or me being stupid again, but M109 doesn't appear to work as documented...

M109: Set Extruder Temperature and Wait

I have it in my z home configs and it will not proceed until both the hotend and bed reach temperature.

Yes, it's a bug that has been there all along. RRP have fixed in in their 0.65 release. I'll add the fix to my next version. It should be quite soon because I was already preparing a release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 05:40AM by dc42.

May 13, 2014 05:59PM
So it isn't just me then.
Good to know.
May 13, 2014 06:03PM
Way ta go David..... Well Done....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login