Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual Extruders

Posted by no oil pressure 
Dual Extruders
May 09, 2014 01:45AM
Just wondering if there was any work in the pipeline to operator dual extruders with the ormerod?

I'm keen on the idea of using PVA as a support for PLA.
Re: Dual Extruders
May 09, 2014 07:08AM
hey no oil pressure,

roumors i heard from the support that they are on to it
might be out this fall

moritz
May 09, 2014 08:59AM
We are currently working on the development of the multi-material version of Ormerod. As it's in development, no definite ETA. Most parts are actually in place - the Duet has a daughter board to support extra extruders, the firmware is written, we're just playing around with how to mount it mechanically. See this recent blog post from Adrian: [reprappro.com]
And this older post regarding the Duet and firmware: [blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Best wishes
Sally

Sally Bowyer
RepRapPro Ltd
May 09, 2014 02:16PM
Very interesting, thank you

quote from the blog:

..I have tried this by hand with the hot end at temperature, and it seems to work well. But a real test will need a proper print with hundreds of retractions, not just the five I did as an experiment. I am concerned that pieces of filament may trail behind the retraction on pulled-out strings and cause blockages. I had thought that a way to avoid this would be to drop the hot end temperature to about 100oC before retracting to ensure the filament (PLA) was coherent enough to all come away at once. But that actually seems to jam a bit because the molten end can be a little swollen and inflexible...

No you don't want somehing like this to happen:

Erik
May 09, 2014 02:33PM
There is the 4-nozzle Kraken print head at [www.printedsolid.com] but it is rather expensive ($250) and needs a lot of power and cables to it. I wondered whether it would be possible to use a single heater block that carries 3 nozzles in-line, if the filaments being extruded can all use the same temperatures. The existing Ormerod hot end design could, I think, quote easily be adapted for this. The two aluminium blocks would need enlarging to hold 2 nozzles, but I think there is enough space for the increased width, especially in the +x direction.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 11, 2014 11:30AM
My take would be to shift on the cold side of the filament, make a cut'n switch step-motor driven indexing turret, no problem with pulled-out strings and air pockets, and the color shift would be clearly defined

Erik
May 11, 2014 11:54AM
This is roughly the design Adrian has been working on: [reprappro.com]
Our Tricolour Mendel has 3 separate nozzles, but can be a bitch to set up the offsets! And the extra nozzles can knock the print.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login