Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More Ormerod upgrades

Posted by chrishamm 
More Ormerod upgrades
April 30, 2014 01:14PM
Hello everyone,
I'd like to present some new Ormerod upgrades I've made over the past few weeks, and I hope they are useful for other Ormerod users. Feedback is always welcome.
This is basically the second part of my ongoing Ormerod modification.

Bearing mount for the Z rod
I believe the X axis was moving a little left and right when moving up and down, so I've come up with a bearing mount for a 625 bearing. Since I've exchanged the stock z upper mount, all Z movements seem to be performed smoother and I don't get any X axis wobbling during Z movements. I replaced the driven M5 nut in the nut trap with a brass one, too, and this one is working better than the stock one.

You can get this part from GitHub.

Getting rid of that stock IR sensor probe
IMO, the stock IR probe has never worked well and does not guarantee reliable measurements. Also, I had a few other issues, e.g. the IR probe collided with the bed clips resulting in missed steps at least once and yesterday I couldn't even do the bed calibration, because the IR probe hit the heated bed before the nozzle was its final height. That's the reason I decided to get rid of it once and for all. If I printed PLA only, I would probably get one of dc42's ultrasonic sensor boards, but I'm not sure how reliable it works at temperatures of 100°C+, so I've come up with something else.

Some time ago, I thought about using the 623 bearing on the x carriage as some kind of switch, and in fact this method does work. Some minor firmware modifications were necessary, though (sorry dc42, I had to bug you again for merging another commit winking smiley ). For the X axis endstop, I simply mounted another microswitch at the x motor bracket and connected it to the Duet the same way as the Y axis endstop, and this is working just fine.

I had to modify the x carriage part a bit in order to remove the IR sensor mount and to add a little hole through which one can push a little 0.25mm² cable, but at least I don't need to worry about the problems described above. I'm using conductive self-adhesive aluminium foil on the X rib, but as seen on the photos it is already showing signs of wear. I'd like to replace that aluminium foil with something else more durable, but I'm not sure what to use instead. Any suggestions?

New 4-pin PWM fan and different fan parts
This is probably not intersting for those who already got their ultrasonic probe, but I bought a 40x40x20 PWM fan to try out cooling. Now I'm using dc42's fan deflector in combination with iamburny's heatsink duct and this seems to work well for ABS as long as I don't enable the fan for the first 30 layers.

Yet another $15 heated bed alu assembly
Similar to the stock IR probe, the whole MDF bed construction was quite horrible IMHO. Every time before starting a print, I had to recalibrate the heated bed, because these MDF parts are so super-sensitive to different temperatures and humidity. As a result, I decided to get rid of it once and for all. I've seen many different approaches on this forum, but I wanted my heated bed to run on four bearings instead of three, just to eleminate the possibility of the heated bed sagging. So I went to my local hardware store and bought an 11.5x11.5mm aluminium profile and cut it down to a few pieces, drilled a few holes and assembled the whole thing. For the base plate, I'm using the alu heat spreader.

If anyone wants to rebuild this construction, you will need at least the following parts:
- An additional LM12UU bearing
- 1m 11.5x11.5mm alu profile, cut down to
- 2x 150mm parts
- 2x 99mm parts
- All printed parts from my GitHub repository - make sure the rear parts are printed with support material!
- Some M3 screws (M3x16, M3x20 and one M3x30 IIRC)
- Four standard cable ties

I admit I haven't made any drawings showing the holes in the aluminium profiles yet, but I can provide them if this is desired. When assembling this construction, one can use standard cable ties to tie the printed parts to all four bearings.

I hope this helps - if there are any questions left, just ask winking smiley

Christian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login