Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 0.58a-dc42 and web interface 0.71

Posted by dc42 
New firmware 0.58a-dc42 and web interface 0.71
April 25, 2014 06:59PM
I've released new firmware 0.58a-dc42 at [github.com] (follow the link and use the Raw button to download) and new web interface software 0.71 at [github.com]. Changes in this release are:

Firmware:

- Fixed a bug in returning the web interface status poll response that sometimes led to over-long responses
- Modified the Network layer code to more safely handle possible callbacks from lwip from within interrupt service routines (possible fix for 0x1002 software reset code)
- Fixed bugs that meant that certain sequences of queuing SD card files to print and cancelling prints could leave SD card files open
- Added new web interface function to return file status information, in particular object height and filament used

Web interface:

- Now reads object height from SD card files using new facility in 0.58a firmware. No longer remembers object height of last file uploaded.
- A new estimated end time based on filament consumption has been added. Currently, this only works for SD card print and upload/print commands, not for direct web print.

The new estimated end time uses a comment added to the end of the file by slic3r to find the filament used. Cura cannot currently generate a suitable comment due to a bug in Cura (https://github.com/daid/Cura/issues/459).

Firmware 0.58a-dc42 has been tested with web interface 0.70 and 0.71. It is designed to be compatible with older versions of the web interface software too, but this has not been tested.

Web interface 0.71 will not work properly with firmware versions prior to 058a-dc42.

If you try the new firmware and/or web interface and experience any problems with them, please post a detailed description of the problems, including the following information:

- If the problem is reproducible, how you can reproduce it
- If the problem is a print hang, wait 30 seconds to allow a possible automatic reset, then try to connect Pronterface and post the results of sending command M111 S2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 11:43AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware 0.57a-dc42 and web interface 0.71
April 26, 2014 10:12AM
David,
Thank you for the latest upgrades.
I am running the thin wall test so I will stop it at around 12mm to measure the thickness.
The filament usage time on this print looks to be more accurate, after all its just straight walls.
I will do a small print completely after this has finished and report back.

One minor thing I have noticed and which is a bit distracting is the fact that the Head Position boxes keep changing width depending upon how many digits the number has. Could this be change to fixed width boxes?

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: New firmware 0.57a-dc42 and web interface 0.71
April 26, 2014 10:47AM
David
I am on my second print and no filament usage is showing.
The progress just says 25% Complete, Layer 11 of 40
The object height is correct at 10.00mm
The estimated times are working except for the filament usage section

This is what I did.
I paused the previous print, then reset, then uploaded the new print and once loaded the printer started.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Re: New firmware 0.58a-dc42 and web interface 0.71
April 26, 2014 11:47AM
Paul, did you use slic3r or cura to produce the gcode file? Is there a "filament used" comment at the end of it? Without that comment, the firmware can't find the filament used, so it won't give an estimated end time based on filament usage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 11:47AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 26, 2014 12:16PM
yes I used slic3r 1.1.1-experimental and yes it has the filament quoted but not at the end of the file, it is at the start of the comments at the end of the file.

The thin wall I printed just prior to this was also with slic3r 1.1.1, with the filament usage at the start of the comments. But that was picked up by the interface and reported correctly.

I think this is a problem created by pausing the print and then the reset button and loading of a new print job.

Could it be that the previous entries were not cleared out after the reset of that the new job details were not read, even though it got the height correct.

I have just turned the power off to the Ormerod, turned it back on and set the machine setbed etc. Started the print again from scratch and no filament information.

Turned off again, closed chrome, sliced a cube, restarted, set the machine again no filament information.

I just don't understand this, it was working on the first print I did after updating the firmware and the interface.. a mystery.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 26, 2014 12:26PM
Paul,

1. Currently the estimated end time based on filament info doesn't get displayed until 2 layers have been completed (just like the other estimates). I am looking to fix this in the next release.

2. It would be useful if you can do the following test:

- Connect Pronterface as well as the web interface
- Send M111 S1 so that the web traffic gets echoed to Pronterface
- Command the web interface to print the file
- As soon as the web interface switches to the print status tab, disconnect Pronterface
- Look up the Pronterface message log until you see the "rr_fileinfo?name=" web request, which should be followed by the name of your file
- Look at the response below it, which should include height and filament used

If the filament used is returned as 0, then please can you post the gcode file somewhere I can pick it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 12:27PM by dc42.

April 26, 2014 01:25PM
Dave,
Sorry, I have tried 3 times and rr_fileinfo?name= is not in the Pronterface log.

I rebooted everything earlier and the fist print did show the filament details but the next print did not.

Attached is the beginning and ending of the g file and the Pronterface log

Hope that helps

Give me a shout if I can do anything else.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - thinwalltest-part.txt (3.9 KB)
open | download - Pronterface-log.txt (57.3 KB)
April 26, 2014 03:28PM
Hi Paul, doing an upload&print is likely to lead to an incomplete log because the data can't be pushed through the USB port fast enough. Try printing the tempwebprint file direct from the SD card.

April 26, 2014 06:19PM
Paul, I think I see a possible problem when using slic3r 1.1.1 with the new firmware. This version of slic3r puts a lot more comments at the end of the file, including the start and end gcodes. If there is a "G1 Zxx" command in there, this will be mistaken for a real gcode, and the firmware will think it has found the height. It will then stop looking for then filament used comment, which it assumes will come after the last G1 Zxx command. Looks like I need to update the firmware to allow for these extra comments.

April 26, 2014 08:03PM
David,
Yes I have just checked the code and G1 Z5 F200 is listed but the line is commented out. I see the problem now because you have to search the comment out lines looking for filament and the height of Z.
Is it possible to have the searches separated?

Thanks for looking at this,
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 27, 2014 05:15AM
Since I upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday my setbed code isn't working properly.

It never runs the last command and doesn't move to the wait for warm position

; preheat bed
M140 S65
; preheat extruder
;M104 S190
;  home all axis
G28
; set bed compensation
G30 P0 X50 Y20 Z0.0
G30 P1 X50 Y180 Z0.5
G30 P2 X150 Y180 Z1.3
G30 P3 X150 Y20 Z0.8 S
; Go to wait for warm position
G1 X2 Y50 F2000

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
April 27, 2014 05:18AM
David,
I don't think that is the problem.

Today I have just started a new print, sliced with slic3r-1.1.1 and the interface is reporting the height and filament correctly.

The problem comes when I do a second print, it is then that the height is correctly identified but all of the filament entries are zero, also the % completed message line has the filament details missing.

Sorry I thought you had found it last night.

This might be a small clue, last night I did notice that on a second print, initially the filament showed ( I think from the previous print but actually showed a minus number.

I'll see if I can capture this after my current print has finished.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 27, 2014 05:36AM
Les, while I can't reproduce exactly your issue, I am seeing a different issue after I run your setbed file, but only when the 4th G30 command is present, and only if the 'S' is in that command. I'll look into it.

April 27, 2014 06:12AM
David,
The first print finished and the message line says 100% Complete, Layer 56 of 56, Filament 2244.01 of 2246.6mm
However, the interface is frozen, the Connect button is saying retrying and the top right is saying Disconnected.

I have just connected Pronterface and run M111 S1 command, this is the result:-
Connecting...
Printer is now online.
>>>M111 S1
SENDING:M111 S1
Debugging enabled
Class GCodes spinning.
Class Move spinning.
Class Webserver spinning.
Class Platform spinning.
Class Heat spinning.

That is all, none of the usual polling information.

Clicked the Retrying button and it changes to Connect - no polling click connect nothing happens.

This is the Pronterface log.
Connecting...
Printer is now online.
>>>M111 S1
SENDING:M111 S1
Debugging enabled
Class GCodes spinning.
Class Move spinning.
Class Platform spinning.
Class Heat spinning.
Class GCodes spinning.
Class Move spinning.
Class Platform spinning.
Class Heat spinning.
Disconnected.
Connecting...
serial: M105
Printer is now online.

Turn off the power, close chrome. switch on and start chrome Oops from chrome but Pronterface has connected and the printer responds

I think I need to reboot the computer.

see you on the other side
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 27, 2014 07:51AM
Well rebooted, no response from the interface just an Oops. Re-flashed Ormerod and started another print - no filament details reported.
Print finished interface frozen.

reverting to firmware RepRapFirmware-058-dc42.bin

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 27, 2014 12:04PM
David,

By mistake I downloaded your revised - not yet released interface 0.72.
I am happy to report that after 3 successful prints, with correct filament reporting and no freezes, you have cracked it.

I have tested from the SD card and a direct Upload & Print.

Thank you for sorting out the width of the Head position boxes as well.

Don't you ever sleep?????

A very happy Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 27, 2014 03:06PM
Hi Paul, I was about to release firmware 0.58b and web interface 0.72 when Les reported a problem (see 6 posts ago). I thought I had reproduced a different problem when I used his setbed file, but it turned out to be a problem with my config.g file. However, in looking for possible firmware issues, I found some code that was a little suspect, so I have produced new firmware 0.58c. I'm doing a 50-minute test print with it now, and if that is successful, I will release it.

April 27, 2014 08:29PM
I've released firmware 0.58c-dc42 and web interface 0.72. It's taken a while because there appears to be a bug deep in the SD card/FAT file system stack that causes it to return data from the wrong sector sometimes. This may be related to the bug that prevents slower SDHC cards from working in the Duet. For now I've switched to using a smaller block size, which appears to avoid the bug. Unfortunately I don't have time to track it down and fix it.

Firmware: [github.com] (use the Raw button to download)

Web interface: [github.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 08:31PM by dc42.

April 27, 2014 09:11PM
Hi DC, could that not also be the same bug that causes the 58 firmware to hang sometimes.
I really liked the 58 version, but after having it hang with the heater on, I got twitchy and went back to 57y.

Just thinking this could be the glitch as I think the Duet uses the SD card as ram if I'm not mistaken... And it might explain the strange M110s I saw on one of my files maybe...

It'll be interesting to see if the bug in the file system resurfaces now... I hope you've tracked it down... Would love to use the new firmware...

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 28, 2014 03:06AM
dc42
I've released firmware 0.58c-dc42 and web interface 0.72. It's taken a while because there appears to be a bug deep in the SD card/FAT file system stack that causes it to return data from the wrong sector sometimes. This may be related to the bug that prevents slower SDHC cards from working in the Duet.

Is this the reason why my setbed code would not work? I'll give this new version a try later.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
April 28, 2014 07:46AM
Hi David,

The new updates are working very well - thank you.

One minor problem, I am now using a separate bed fan and when I paused a print and reset, the bed fan stayed on.
It's not really a problem because when the next print loaded the fan switched off for the start of the print.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 28, 2014 08:25AM
Firmware 58c still doesn't want to run that last line of my setbed file.

It turns on the bed heater, homes all axis and just stays at the z home position.

Any ideas why?

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
April 28, 2014 08:31AM
Ok just noticed something else.

If I run the setbed again, the second time it just does the last line (G1 X2 Y50 F2000), as if it were paused from the time before.

EDIT: If I do a direct print or load it into Pronterface and print it works as expected the first time.

Regards,

Les

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 08:46AM by Pointy.

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
April 28, 2014 10:05AM
Les, please can you attach both the setbed file and your homeall.g file to a post.

April 28, 2014 12:33PM
Files attached as requested.

Regards,

Les

Pointy's Things
Pointy's Blog
Attachments:
open | download - setbed.g (231 bytes)
open | download - homeall.g (142 bytes)
April 29, 2014 07:47AM
Hi David,
Just another minor issue.
I am currently printing my first print of the day, which consists of 2 separate parts ( although they are one item on the slic3r platter ) and the message line is reporting:-

68% Completed, Layer 44 of 21, Filament 4770.588 of 6889.0mm
Also the object height is reported as 5.0mm when it should be 15.00mm.

I attach the start and end of the gcode file.

Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - problem-gcode.g (10.8 KB)
April 29, 2014 10:03AM
Hmm... looks like the same problem I had with 058b, except that the actual and reported height values were different. Can you put the whole gcode file on Dropbox or similar for me to download?

April 29, 2014 10:22AM
Here is the whole file - zipped. I do not have drop box account, maybe I should look into that.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
Attachments:
open | download - problem-gcode.zip (590 KB)
April 29, 2014 10:34AM
Thanks, Paul. Was the reported height exactly 5.0mm, or was it 5.04mm?

If you PM me your email address, then I can get Dropbox to invite you to create a free account, and we both get an extra 500Mb space! [EDIT: or you can just follow this link [db.tt] which will have the same effect.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:35AM by dc42.

April 29, 2014 07:03PM
Pointy, I think you will find that the issue you reported is fixed in 0.58d. See [forums.reprap.org].
appjaws, please try 0.58d. Let me know if the problem occurs again.
KimBrown, you didn't give enough detail to allow me to investigate the issues you had with 0.58, however you may find that they are resolved in 0.58d, particularly if your slic3r custom gcode includes homing commands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login