Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?

Posted by dc42 
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 30, 2014 04:55PM
You're a star...what would we all do without you? smileys with beer

Many thanks
Re: Anyone interested in a modulated IR sensor + fan control + illumination board?
March 31, 2014 11:22AM
To all who have given me a provisional order for a kit 5 (non-early) sensor board:

I expect to start shipping these kits tomorrow, so I will send the PayPal requests for payment today. Thanks to those of you who have already paid - you will get the first boards.

Although the original planned transducers are now available again, I have decided to go with the alternative transducer as shipped with the early kits. This is because they give more consistent results than I am now finding with different samples the original type. I will absorb the additional cost of these transducers, and also today's increase in postal prices. So the PayPal request will be for the amount you were expecting.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 02, 2014 12:08PM
All the kit 5 orders that have been paid for went in the post yesterday or today. So the UK ones should arrive today or tomorrow, and the overseas ones in a few days from now.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 02, 2014 12:25PM
Hi,
Thank you, mine arrived this afternoon so will start to install in the morning

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 02, 2014 01:01PM
Ours arrived yesterday, i predict some overnight work for my dev staff smiling smiley
Thank you dc42! winking smiley thumbs up

SamplingLabs from Sampling Line, Lda
RS Ormerod #384
April 02, 2014 01:20PM
Hi dc42
received! ...

Thanks a lot.
Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
April 03, 2014 05:27AM
dc42
There is so much backwash from the fan that when I first assembled my Ormerod, I thought the fan was running the wrong way. A fan inlet duct greatly reduces the backwash and may also make the fan more efficient. You can find the one I use (based on a design by kwikius) here [github.com].

I LOVE your backwash fan deflector @DC42 (and yes, I probably should get out more!) - works perfectly with no discernible backwash and I have just successfully printed both the dodecahedron and thin wall test pieces to a very good quality - if anyone else is using the orignal fan and no backwash deflector I thoroughly recommend considering fitting this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 05:29AM by MrCrispi.
April 03, 2014 05:46AM
Thanks MrCrispi, but credit must go to kwikius for the original design. I just made it thinner, made the edge wall and blades a little thicker, and replaced the clip-on tabs (which I found broke easily) by countersunk screw holes.

April 04, 2014 01:16PM
Hi Dave (dc42),
Kit 5 installed and working, the lights are a great addition, the IR works well but I am having difficulty with the ultrasonic set up.
I have used your mounting for the probe and the face of the unit sits about 3mm off the bed, same height as the IR unit.
I followed your calibration instructions but did not notice and decrease in the readings as I reduced Z height, I even started with a Z height of 8mm and went all the way down to touching the bed in 0.01 steps and at each step the P reading was higher or the same as the previous.

I did wait a long time for all temperatures to stabilise What else can I do?

Another quickie, from cold my head is reading -1 to -2 and I am setting the hot end to print at 195. Room temp is approx. 21.
Should I be worried at the low temperature from cold?
Also, Would the 194.1 to 195.3 reported by the software whilst printing be accurate?
Is this fluctuation excessive?

Thank you for a great job
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 04, 2014 02:57PM
Hi Paul,

A few things to check:

1. Can you confirm that you are using the 057y-dc42 firmware?

2. If you didn't buy a ready-soldered kit, have you connected the 3.3nF capacitor in parallel with the transducer, e.g. across the pins of the ultrasonic transducer connector?

3. What readings are you getting after you send M558 P3? At large distances (e.g. 50mm) it should typically be below 100 (it may even be zero for some transducers) and it should go through a series of increasing maxima at intervals of about 4.25mm.

If you are having difficult, then it's easiest to check out the ultrasonic probe with the bed at room temperature. That way you know that temperature fluctuations and draughts are not seriously affecting the readings.

Regarding the head temperature readout when cold, has it always read -1 to -2 at room temperature, even before you fitted the new sensor board? If so, you can correct it as described here [forums.reprap.org].

Hope this helps - David

April 04, 2014 06:12PM
Almost done! winking smiley
hot smiley
Attachments:
open | download - New-hotend.jpg (91.9 KB)
April 05, 2014 03:27AM
Hi Sampling, when using the one-piece duct, you need to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees and drill an extra hole in it for one of fhe mounting screws. Looking at your photo, I'm not sure you have done that because I can't see the original mounting hole that becomes unused.

April 05, 2014 08:51AM
Hi David,
Thank you as ever for your response.
I have adjusted the temperatures and at room temp both readings are correct +/- 0.3, I could not do the more accurate setup because I don't, at the moment, have any resistors.
I have tried to set up the ultrasonics with the bed cold as you suggested and I still have not detected any decrease in the values:-

Z=10 - 9.1 35 36 37 38 38 38 39 40 40 41
Z= 9 - 8.1 41 42 42 43 44 44 45 45 46 47
Z= 8 - 7.1 48 48 49 50 50 51 52 53 54 55
Z= 7 - 6.1 55 56 57 58 59 60 62 63 64 65
Z= 6 - 5.1 66 67 69 71 72 74 75 77 78 79
Z= 5 - 4.1 81 82 85 87 88 90 92 93 95 98
Z= 4 - 3.1 101 104 106 108 111 112 115 118 121 125
Z= 3 - 2.1 129 132 135 138 141 144 150 155 158 163
Z= 2 - 1.1 170 172 177 182 189 197 203 209 216 222
Z= 1 - 0.0 229 235 246 263 265 273 286 294 303 314 332

Your instructions say:- "The reading should rise to a maximum, then drop, then rise to an even greater maximum, before finally dropping back again as the head reaches the bed"

I can only see increases at every Z height of 0.01

From the above what should I set G31 to be and at what temperature?

Also If I wanted to do IR bed measurements and Ultrasonic Z zeroing what would I put in setbed.g?

again thank you for your help
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 05, 2014 09:13AM
Hi Paul,

Are you certain it is the ultrasonic sensor being used? Are the values different from the values returned by the IR sensor when the print head is in the same position? Try sending M558 P1 to see if you get different readings.

The IR sensor will be used unless all of the following are true:

1. The 4th (white) wire between the sensor board and the Duet is not open circuit, and is connected to the correct Duet pin. [It is not impossible that the pre-made crimp connection on the white wire is bad, although we did test them for continuity on the later kits we sent out.]

2. You are using a recent version of my firmware (version 057y-dc42 is recommended).

3. You have sent the M558 P3 command, and not subsequently sent M558 P1.

Hope this helps - dc42

April 05, 2014 12:02PM
Hi again David,
Well I have been getting into all sorts of trouble here. I can confirm I am using your latest firmware and Matts web page.
When I issued the M556 P3 or the M558 P1 the Zprobe reading didn't change. This was inputting the command on the interface where it says send G code.
I thought this was probably not the correct way to do this so I connected via usb and sent the commands using Pronterface, again no change so I was unsure which probe was active, the IR or Ultrasonic.
I then tried to home X and received a loud bussing from the ultrasonic unit. The only way I could stop this was to turn off everything..
When I switched back on I could not connect using either method, so I re-flashed the firmware and started the machine.
Homing X verified that the IR probe was active so I again issued M588 P3 but the Zprobe reading did not change. Having issued the M558 P1 or P3 command many time I was not sure which was working, should I trust the last command was working?
With handfuls of torn out hair I had a brain wave, I slipped some white paper just under the IR sensor and the Zprobe reading did change, I then moved the paper so that it was under the ultrasonic unit as well and the reading changed again
I think that both the IR and Ultrasonic are working at the same time.
This is another table:- none = just the bed, IR= paper just under the IR sensor, ULTRA = paper under IR and Ultrasonic

M558 P3
none IR ULTRA
Z= 4.0 103 292 322
Z= 3.0 131 466 438
Z= 2.0 173 621 582
Z= 1.0 244 1023 1023
Z= 0.0 357 1023 1023

M558 P1
Z= 4.0 104 310 310
Z= 3.0 131 419 420
Z= 2.0 173 1023 584
Z= 1.0 243 1023 1023
Z= 0.0 357 1023 1023

The numbers I gave in my previous post were just the bed at X100 Y100 and were the same for M558 P1 and P3.

I am totally confused and frustrated.

Just a last thought I just Homed Z again and it worked as it normally would with IR but just prior I sent M558 P3 so the ultrasonic should be active and not the IR.
Heeeeeeelp Pleeeeeease
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 05, 2014 04:14PM
Hi Paul,

To switch to the ultrasonic sensor, the M558 P3 command sets pin 33 on the Duet expansion connector LOW. This is transmitted through the additional (white) sensor wire to the sensor board. Therefore, if it is remaining in IR mode when you send M558 P3, one of the following is happening:

1. The M558 command is not pulling pin 33 low, because you have the wrong firmware. To verify the firmware, send M115 and check the firmware version in the response.

2. Your Duet board is faulty and pin 33 is not going low. Unlikely, but not impossible.

3. You have the white wire connected to the wrong pin on the Duet. It should be connected to the expansion connector pin immediately above the blue wire, i.e. the 9th pin from the right in the top row of the expansion connector (the blue wire is on the 9th pin from the right in the lower row of the same connector). When I say "above", I am assuming that you have not rotated your Due board 90 degrees as a few people have done in order to make room for large fan inlet ducts.

4. There is a lack of continuity in the white wire, e.g. because of a bad crimp connection. If you have a multimeter, then you can unplug the sensor connector on the hot end board, and the white wire from the Duet board, and check it with a multimeter.

5. There is a lack of continuity between the 4th pin on the sensor connector and the microcontroller on the sensor board. Unlikely. because you ordered a soldered board and both IR and ultrasonic were tested before it was shipped. But check that I didn't leave the 4th pin of that connector unsoldered.

Most likely I think is #3 or #4.

Hope this helps!

PS - the loud buzzing will have been from the stepper motor and belt when it tries to move the X carriage beyond the physical stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 04:16PM by dc42.

April 05, 2014 07:34PM
dc42
Hi Sampling, when using the one-piece duct, you need to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees and drill an extra hole in it for one of fhe mounting screws. Looking at your photo, I'm not sure you have done that because I can't see the original mounting hole that becomes unused.

Hi David,

Yes the new hole is there and the heatsink is rotated 90 degr. as instructed on the very first one piece duct (that we'd printed and drilled then) so in this assembly that work was already done.
But thank you, that in fact is a step that one can easily forget. smiling smiley

Hardware assembly and hot end exchange: Done (easy part).
Now comes the true hard work. grinning smiley
Attachments:
open | download - New-hotEnd-pt2.jpg (127.6 KB)
April 06, 2014 07:49AM
Hi David,
Thank you for your response.
You were absolutely correct, one of the crimps on the ultrasonic was the problem.
Now to start again, I have verified that the switching from IR to Ultrasonic is working and I am getting different reading for the Z probe.
I will continue to set up on Monday, and fingers crossed I will not need your help again on this matter.

Paul

PS I'm not clear how to set up the Ormerod to zero X by IR but do bed compensation by ultrasonic.
What do I need to enter and in which files.
I apologise if you have already outlined this, perhaps I missed it, after all I have been very confused over the last few days. :-

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 06, 2014 08:52AM
I.R. Board is fitted and works brilliantly, nicely set the z zero on multiple tests, LEDs are good too, plus the fan on/off, a great mod to the machine.

One little snag I have is that I calibrated it to z1.0mm in the config.g file, I think the P was about 380, anyway, I usually set z at the thickness of a sheet of paper or about 0.1mm as zero, my first print got off to a lumpy start with the head bobbing up and down after a few layers, I am guessing head is too close to bed??

If I alter the value in config.g to 0.9mm will this raise it by 0.1mm and set that as zero?

Other than that, it's the first time I have homed all axes at once and also run a successful auto bed compensation!

Nice one smiling smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
April 06, 2014 10:22AM
appjaws1
PS I'm not clear how to set up the Ormerod to zero X by IR but do bed compensation by ultrasonic.
What do I need to enter and in which files.
I apologise if you have already outlined this, perhaps I missed it, after all I have been very confused over the last few days. :-

I've only given a very brief outline in the instructions. First, decide what will be the default sensor, i.e. the one that gets used if you issue a G30 or G32 command. I currently use ultrasonic for this. So I have M558 P3 in config.g.

Next, for the homing files that you want to use a different transducer, add M558 commands to switch to the correct transducer and back. I use IR for x-homing, so my homax.g file looks like this:

G91
G1 Z5 F200
G90
M558 P1  ;*****************
G1 X-240 F2000 S1
G92 X0
G1 X3 F200
G1 X-10 S1
G92 X0
G91
G1 Z-5 F200
G90
M558 P3  ;*******************

Note the extra M558 commands (flagged with ********** above), to switch the sensor to IR near the start and back to ultrasonic at the end.

I made a similar change to the x-homing section of homeall.g.

PS - if you want to put G31 values for both IR and ultrasonic in config.g, this is how to do it:

M558 P1  ; select IR
G31 Pxx Zxx ; set IR G31 parameters
M558 P3  ; select ultrasonic
G31 Pxx Zxx ; set ultrasonic G31 parameters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 10:24AM by dc42.

April 06, 2014 10:33AM
Davek0974
I.R. Board is fitted and works brilliantly, nicely set the z zero on multiple tests, LEDs are good too, plus the fan on/off, a great mod to the machine.

One little snag I have is that I calibrated it to z1.0mm in the config.g file, I think the P was about 380, anyway, I usually set z at the thickness of a sheet of paper or about 0.1mm as zero, my first print got off to a lumpy start with the head bobbing up and down after a few layers, I am guessing head is too close to bed??

If I alter the value in config.g to 0.9mm will this raise it by 0.1mm and set that as zero?

Other than that, it's the first time I have homed all axes at once and also run a successful auto bed compensation!

Nice one smiling smiley

Hi Davek,

If you want G0 Z0 to put the head a sheet of paper's thickness above the bed, then yes you can just adjust the Z value. Alternatively, when finding suitable G31 values, start by putting the nozzle a thickness of paper above the bed, do G92 Z0, then raise the nozzle to 1mm indicated or whatever gives a good G31 reading, raise it 0.1mm and then drop it 0.1mm (to allow for backlash in the Z axis), and then use that G31 reading and height.

Also, if you are using auto bed compensation and the IR sensor, then be sure to set the Z homing point (in homez.g and homeall.g) the same as one of your bed compensation points, so that both are over the centre of one of the white squares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 10:34AM by dc42.

April 07, 2014 01:13PM
Hi David,
I am a happy man, ultrasonic set up worked well, now everything is automated using your suggestions for setbed, config, homeall and homex.
I'm just printing thinwall as a test of the levelling, so far it is looking good.

Again I can't thank you enough for the great work and support you are giving to the community.
Paul

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
April 07, 2014 04:46PM
Could anyone recommend a crimp tool for the kit please.
Thanks
Jon
April 07, 2014 04:58PM
The one suggested by RepRapPro in the Ormerod kit instructions - [www.rapidonline.com] - should be suitable for the sensor board kit too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 05:04PM by dc42.

April 07, 2014 05:23PM
Thank you.
Found one a little cheaper on ebay.
[www.ebay.co.uk]
I'm almost ready to assemble my kit 5.
April 11, 2014 03:38PM
My kit4 board is acting strangely.

The fan comes on as soon as I turn the psu on, if I heat the head then cool it the fan will switch off and stay off until I heat it again like normal.

It only started doing this yesterday.

Any possible reason?

April 11, 2014 03:51PM
Hi Davek, can you tell me:

1. What is the approximate room temperature when you turn the PSU on and the fan starts?

2. What hot end temperature reading do you get when you turn the PSU on and the fan starts?

The sensor board turns the fan on when either the temperature is above approx. 41C (and off when it drops to 39C), or when it thinks the thermistor is disconnected because it is getting an abnormally low temperature reading.

April 11, 2014 04:13PM
Room is about 20c and hot reads about 8c

If i heat the hot end, it will switch off then back on quickly as the heat passes about 40, as it cools it will switch off and work as normal from then onwards.

April 11, 2014 06:08PM
Davek, it sounds to me that your room temperature and thermistor are such that the board is sensing a possible disconnected thermistor when you power up - although if room temp is 20C then this surprises me. There is a delay of a couple of seconds before the fan comes on, which could explain why the reported temperature reaches nearly 40C before the fan first goes off. It may be that commanding the hot end to 15C would be enough to turn the fan off.

However, the problem could be exacerbated by a poor quality 3.3V connection (pink or red wire to the 4-pin connector). If you have a good multimeter, you could check the following:

- With the 4-pin connector connected and the power on, measure the voltage on the 3.3V pin of the Duet expansion connector, and on the positive terminal of C5 on the sensor board. These should agree to within a few millivolts.

- With the 4-pin connector disconnected and the power off, the resistance across L1 (or between the 3.3V input on the 4-pin connector and the positive terminal of C5). This should be a little over 0.1 ohms.

Alternatively, I can send you another board to try, and you can return the one you have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 06:08PM by dc42.

April 11, 2014 06:45PM
In case anyone else want to order boards, I have only the following left:

* 4 boards which I can ship as Kit 4+ now, or turn into kit 5 with a few days notice to order the extra parts

* 2 Kit 3 boards ready for shipping

* 7 bare boards, which I can ship as-is or turn into kit 2 or kit 3 with a few days notice to order the extra parts

Postage rates from the UK have unfortunately risen, and kit 5 now uses the more expensive ultrasonic transducer. So prices are now as follows:

Prices inc. carriage	UK	EU	EuNV	Outside EU

Bare board         	£ 7.34	£ 8.36	£ 6.97	£ 7.65
Kit 2 fully soldered	£22.84	£30.24	£25.20	£26.00
Kit 3	                £25.84	£33.24	£27.70	£28.50
Kit 3 fully soldered	£31.84	£39.24	£32.70	£33.50
Kit 4+	                £43.84	£51.24	£42.70	£43.50
Kit 4+ fully soldered	£49.84	£57.24	£47.70	£48.50
Kit 5    	        £52.84	£60.24	£50.20	£51.00
Kit 5 fully soldered	£58.84	£66.24	£55.20	£56.00

UK and EU prices include UK VAT @ 20%. Prices in the EuNV column are for orders from VAT-registered EU businesses, or from European countries outside the EU. Orders shipped outside the EU may be subject to import taxes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login