Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

corrupted gcode output

Posted by kwikius 
corrupted gcode output
January 16, 2014 05:13AM
After printing out my various fan heater designs, I took some time off to try to design something useful.
I got round to printing a test of it last night.

I noticed when I was doing my previous prints, that the printer head would periodically disappear off the print and head for either y max or x min, leaving a line of plastic on the bed. I put this down to bugs in the gcode file. However the effect has continued on the last print; I have been using the original reprappro pronterface and this time, when looking at the output, I noticed that it didnt look too good. I copied the output that was coming from the pronterface debug text window. Here is a sample.(n.b in the browser some of the invalid characters are rendered differently. The original must be encoded differently in pronterface.
So thats why Ive attached as a png not text)

clearly something is getting corrupted somewhere. I'm wondering now if its getting corrupted while being loaded from the SD card or while being sent over USB? My hunch now is that its from the SD card and this would explain the odd wander to the extremities.

N.B I havent tried the new firmware or modifying pronterface yet. I'm still using the original SD card so I will try replacing that first, unless anyone has other ideas?

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
Re: corrupted gcode output
January 16, 2014 05:19AM
Have you looked at the raw Gcode generated by slic3r to see if that error is there? If not then have a look at the gcode on the sd card by plugging it into your computer. That way you can track down where the error is being generated. I too haven't got around to using the new USB printing because I am not a wizard yet with the non precompiled pronterface, but that might be a nice check as well.

Ormerod 313
January 16, 2014 05:29AM
tracyb
Have you looked at the raw Gcode generated by slic3r to see if that error is there? If not then have a look at the gcode on the sd card by plugging it into your computer. That way you can track down where the error is being generated. I too haven't got around to using the new USB printing because I am not a wizard yet with the non precompiled pronterface, but that might be a nice check as well.

Good plan. Thanks! I hadnt thought of that.

I just tried loading the SD card on the PC... Bingo! The File is indeed corrupted on the SD-card. ( Reported in gedit on Ubuntu)

As a check I loaded the original created by slic3r which had stayed on the PC and it wasnt corrupted, so I guess that means a problem with the SD card?

Off to buy a new one now smiling smiley

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
January 16, 2014 05:33AM
Great news! My SD card had to be replaced out of the box as the one supplied was useless. Hope it sorts it out.

Ormerod 313
January 16, 2014 05:45AM
Hi Kwikius,

Aside from the fact that the supplied SD card is cr*p and never worked for me as well, it is good practise to check your gcode visually with Repetierhost or equivelent.
It will show you in great details what will be printed. You could open what you believe to be a corrupted gcode and see if the corners are faulty in Repetier?

If Repetier shows normal corner then your problem is elsewhere!
djb
January 16, 2014 09:37AM
You could also view your gcode in [gcode.ws]

Daryl

RS Ormerod #299
January 16, 2014 11:35AM
Thanks for all the replies. I got a new (class 10) sd card this moring. I redid the print and it has come out the best I have done. No blobs, no wandering.

I found you can also look through the layers of the gcode in pronterface ,

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login