Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Proximity sensor issues.

Posted by TMD_RS436 
Proximity sensor issues.
January 06, 2014 06:08AM
Hello All

Well this is a strange one, the proximity sensor isn't working, I have attached an image with the voltages on each of the 4 pins.

I had to clean up the solder on the board due to there was way too much solder on the pins.

And the two resistors R1 and R2 are reading the following:
R1 = 14.95 KΩ (so 15KΩ)
R2 = 163.8 Ω (so 164 Ω)

The 3 pin plug is connected [Blue, Black, Red] in that order on the board however I am reading 0V on the Blue wire and G31 returns the following:
>>>G31
SENT:  G31
RECV:  serial: G31
RECV:  0
RECV:  ok

Also am I suppose to see some sort of light coming from it because I don't.

Any ideas to test?

Thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
Re: Proximity sensor issues.
January 06, 2014 06:30AM
Your voltages are correct. Check the blue wire is connected to the correct Duet pin, However, I suspect that your Duet is not running config.g due to slow SD card. Try sending M558 P1 manually, and see if you start getting sensible readings after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 06:30AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 06, 2014 07:02AM
dc42
Your voltages are correct. Check the blue wire is connected to the correct Duet pin, However, I suspect that your Duet is not running config.g due to slow SD card. Try sending M558 P1 manually, and see if you start getting sensible readings after that.

Well it must be running config.g due to when I send M503 I get the following:

SENDING:M503
serial: M503
; RepRapPro Ormerod
; Standard configuration G Codes
M111 S1; Debug on
M550 POrmerod; Set the machine's name
M551 Preprap; Set the password
M552 P192.168.1.14; Set the IP address
M553 P255.255.255.0; Set netmask
M554 P192.168.1.1; Set the gateway
M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output
M92 E420; Set extruder steps/mm
G21 ; Work in mm
G90 ; Absolute positioning
M83 ; Extrusions relative
M558 P1 ; Turn Z Probe on
G31 Z0.5 P500 ; Set Z probe height and threshold
M906 X800 Y800 Z800 E800 ; Motor currents (mA)
T0 ; Select extruder 0

Or am I missing something?

Also my blue is going to the same pin as the one in the image.

Ok, the sensor is working fine, the emitter is on (used my camera on my phone) and the photo transistor is also working moved it right down over metal tape and read 2.4V with the blue wire off the duet, connected the blue wire back on and it drops to 0V

Is it correct that the blue wire goes to the top socket bottom row 9th pin from the right?

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 07:07AM
M503 tells you that the Duet can currently read config.g and shows you what is in it. It does that even if it failed to read and process config.g at startup. So try what I suggested. 9th pin from the right on the lower row is correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 07:07AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 06, 2014 07:17AM
dc42
M503 tells you that the Duet can currently read config.g and shows you what is in it. It does that even if it failed to read and process config.g at startup. So try what I suggested. 9th pin from the right on the lower row is correct.

Ok, I just run M558 P1 by hand and the did G31 and it still returns back 0 even when its at its lowest position.

I also tried running each line in config.g by hand as well and it still returns 0.

Its like that pin is pulled low, maybe a short to ground?

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 07:19AM by TMD_RS436.

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 08:19AM
Ok, I have taken the board out once again to look for shorts and that pin that the blue wire goes to is shorted to ground by 3.3 Ω and without seeing a schematic diagram for the board I cannot see it that's right.

I think its AD7 that the blue wire goes to.

The pin above it i.e. AD0 is about 100 KΩ so shouldn't AD7 be the same or there about?

Thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 08:30AM
Schematic is here.

January 06, 2014 08:36AM
dc42
Schematic is here.

Ok, thanks, time to download install KiCad.

Ok, I have looked at the Schematic and PCB diagrams and nothing is connected to pin 33 (AD7) of the expansion port so it shouldn't be 3.3 Ω to ground.
I have also checked pins 37 (AD10), 38 (AD11) and they read all read around 100 KΩ.

So my guesses is that AD7 could either be shorted with the ground plane layer 2 by the via or its shorted under the chip.
I have seen boards that have had internal layer misaligned and short out a via, but saying that there are several rows of vias and there is no issues with them, so it points to under the chip.

Either way I cannot resolve this issue, any chance somebody do a test version to use a different pin like AD10 or AD11 they both go directly to the Expansion socket and nothing on the board is connected to those lines.

I may also try and setup a development folder.

Thanks

Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 09:39AM by TMD_RS436.

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 01:01PM
Ah sod it, I can't even setup the development code sad smiley

Arduino has a tissy fit of missing files, and Eclipse won't even load it sad smiley

Oh well.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 01:02PM
I'll build you a test version (but it will have my Ethernet changes in it).

January 06, 2014 01:14PM
..here it is, uses AD10 if I've interpreted the Arduino core pin mapping for the SAM processor correctly.

Attachments:
open | download - RepRapFirmware.bin (164.6 KB)
January 06, 2014 01:15PM
dc42
I'll build you a test version (but it will have my Ethernet changes in it).

That's fine, just let me know what pin you change it to, something like AD10 or AD11 these have nothing connected to them.

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 01:16PM
dc42
..here it is, uses AD10 if I've interpreted the Arduino core pin mapping for the SAM processor correctly.

Thanks ill give it a go now and get back to you.

Once again thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 01:32PM
Hello dc

dc42

Yeah, that worked great it is working now.
So it must be a short on my board then.

I am now getting 385 when its 1.22 mm from the bed over the metal tape and 221 when its still 1.22 mm from the bed but not over the metal tape.
Does that sound right to you?

Thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 01:44PM
Yes, those figures are reasonable. White PVC tape gives more consistent readings than metal tape does. The readings are also greatly affected by head sag, so check that the hot end is level.

January 06, 2014 02:09PM
dc42
Yes, those figures are reasonable. White PVC tape gives more consistent readings than metal tape does. The readings are also greatly affected by head sag, so check that the hot end is level.

I will have to do the rest tomorrow hopefully when me new SD Card, USB cable and 10mm bearing should arrive.
I seem to be getting some sagging which I am hoping the 10mm bearing will resolve.

Thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 02:11PM
(hijack apology) - DC42 could you outline the development system you've got working please? Maybe worth starting another thread...

Cheers

Ray
January 06, 2014 02:14PM
rayhicks
(hijack apology) - DC42 could you outline the development system you've got working please? Maybe worth starting another thread...

Cheers

Ray

Yeah I would interested in know how to set it all up because I was having way too many issues setting them all up.

So thumbs up for ne thread smiling smiley

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 06, 2014 07:07PM
rayhicks

See this thread.

January 07, 2014 03:00AM
dc42
rayhicks

See this thread.

Thanks dc I will take a look, I knew there was a post due to seeing bits of it, but I lost what topic it was.

*** Update ***
Thank you, I have it all now compiling ok smiling smiley

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 05:11AM by TMD_RS436.

RS Ormerod No 436
January 08, 2014 07:41AM
Hello All

Well we know its not the Proximity sensor at fault but the duet board, we found this out when dc did a test update for me to the firmware to use a different pin for the blue wire and it works, so where there is a short on pin AD7 to ground, is there any chance for a replacement board.

It will also become an issue when newer firmware's get released would no long work for this board and I will always have to re-compile the code with the pin change every time.

I am still waiting for Ian to reply to my PM's about this.

Thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 08, 2014 08:02AM
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that RRP will be more than happy to send you a replacement board, just that RRP support seems overwhelmed by emails and reply might a little slow .
January 08, 2014 08:11AM
Hello tru

tru168
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that RRP will be more than happy to send you a replacement board, just that RRP support seems overwhelmed by emails and reply might a little slow .

Yeah, just got a PM from Ian, so I will be sending him an email with the required info that he wants.

Apart from all the issues so far, I am sort of happy, I understand this is a new product and there may be some issues along the way.

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
January 17, 2014 01:41PM
Hello All

I got the new Duet board the other day (thanks Ian), I would of said then but not been around much to check it fully due to having to pop up to the PDSA with a couple of our cats over the last couple of days.

Anyhow I have had a quick look at the board when I had a few minutes and it looks ok and seems to have all 9 of the USB pins soldered ok, the two resistors R60 and R61 which are connected to U3 have over the top solder on them, so I may clean those up a long with cleaning up the flux on the board.

The 4 mounting holes was already the larger holes, so no need to drill them out.

Before powering up I will be testing all pins checking for shorts and if all goes well I will then do a re-flash of the latest firmware just in case then go through the full test once again.

Hopefully it will all pass smiling smiley

One thing I did notice while giving it the once over was R79 (part of the Fan MOSFET Control) used to pull up the gate pin of TR5 only had one side soldered, So I will solder that on, I know that we don't use that part of the circuit, but just in case for future usage.
It may or may not be touching that pad, so I will take a look later under me microscope to see.

After all that I will pack up the old board as requested and will send it recorded delivery should only cost me a few quid so no worries there.

Thanks

Paul

RS Ormerod No 436
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login