Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative ATX power supply options

Posted by Treth 
Alternative ATX power supply options
January 01, 2014 04:51PM
As I haven't had time to continue exploring actual printing I thought I would plan for the future.....

I find fan noise excessive, both the extruder and PSU fans are loud and full on all the time. Looking at the ATX spec I noted that control of the fan is a manufacturers option, but not implemented by many, however I did find some 'quiet PSU's' that control their fan based on an internal temperature sensor which seems a good idea.

Here is one that I found (random, not evaluated or recommended) that seems to meet all our requirements
[www.kustompcs.co.uk]

Also they use a 'sleeve bearing fan' for low noise, do you know what type of fan is used on the extruder?
I hope this could be a switched fan option in the future.

Ormerod #007 (shaken but not stirred!)
Re: Alternative ATX power supply options
January 01, 2014 04:57PM
Treth

You must be in a quiet place. I thought my ACE psu fairly quiet. Modern computer fans are rather quiet by being low speed and not very powerful. It seems RRP have found a 20mm fan with a bit more guts to it. The thing I like about you psu suggestion is that it has 2 individual 12v rails so you could feed the bed via external mosfet and opto isolator for complete isolation. Bit envious of your 007 serial number. Why not try selling your certicficate on Ebay you might get some Bond + RRP fan pay money for it.

Rory

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 05:03PM by Rory166.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login