Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which CAD package?

Posted by dc42 
Which CAD package?
January 01, 2014 12:40PM
Can anyone advise me which is the best free CAD package for a novice like me to learn, so that I can design my own objects? I run apps mostly under Windows 7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 12:40PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Which CAD package?
January 01, 2014 12:44PM
FreeCAD is pretty good, especially if you are into Python. Also OpenSCAD, especially if you are into "C". OpenSCAD stuff can be embedded into FreeCAD.

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
January 01, 2014 01:33PM
David,

I used Google SketchUp to draw the nozzle mounting. It's free for the basic version and there's a STL plug-in on Git-Hub,
The software is simple to use - I drew the mounting in about half an hour from installing the software.
There's loads of tutorials online to help get you started.

Regards,

Simon

RS Ormerod No 192
January 01, 2014 02:16PM
You should also investigate DesignSpark Mechanical from RS Components [www.designspark.com].
I'm new to it, but it seems very intuitive.
It is apparently a special version from SpaceClaim and has some limitations compared to their commercial products, but it seems a complete solution for 3D printing and totally free.
January 01, 2014 02:24PM
I also being a newbie designer was shocked how easy tinkercad is to use, even my kids (6 & 8yrs) have drawn things for me to print out.

its completely web based and exports STL's that go nicely into Slic3r.

I'd recommend giving it at least a passing glance, maybe even complete the excellent newbie tutorial smiling smiley

www.tinkercad.com

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login