Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Things I have printed - and my tips for getting to this stage

Posted by dc42 
Things I have printed - and my tips for getting to this stage
December 31, 2013 06:25PM
Here is a picture of some things I printed with my Ormerod:

For those of you still struggling to get this far, here are my top tips:

1. Be patient. I believe the Ormerod is a sound design, however it seems to have been released before some of the teething troubles were ironed out. Ian has done a superb job of supporting us over the holiday period, and has been very willing to supply replacement parts where needed.

2. Don't attempt to build it without 2.0 and 2.5mm ball-ended hex drivers. It will take much longer if you use only allen keys.

3. When you get to mounting the hot end, watch out for the print head sagging down on the left hand side. Use the slot in the x-runner bearing mount to adjust it. I had to replace the 9mm bearing by a 10mm one to solve the problem completely.

4. The foldback clips are not a satisfactory way of holding the bed down because they get in the way. I didn't find Kapton tape satisfactory for this either. Buy a 59p photo frame from The Range or similar (see this thread) and use the clips from that instead. Or buy Swiss Clips e.g. here.

5. The quality of the 5V power rail is important. It is probably best to use the 5V derived from the 12V supply, unless you have one of the first ~220 board that needs to be returned to get this working. If you use USB power, don't connect the Ormerod to an unpowered hub.

6. I've made a few mods to the electronics, but the only one I would class as really important for my build was to change 2 resistor values on the sensor board. Without this change, the sensor is very sensitive to sunlight and bright incandescent light. So shield your Ormerod from the sun, and use only LED or fluorescent artificial light whenever doing the G31 code calibration, homing the Z axis, or running the automatic bed setting procedure. [EDIT: I also find the sensor give much more consistent readings if you use white PVC tape instead of the aluminium tape.]

7. Make sure you install the latest firmware, from the Duet branch of the github repository, not the master branch.

8. If you suspect any problems at all to do with the SD card supplied, ditch it and replace it with a better one.

9. Ethernet connectivity is rather hit-and-miss. For me, it works only when I connect the Ormerod direct to my laptop (with wired and wireless connections bridged), not when I connect it to my wired Ethernet switch. So try connecting it in different ways.

10. After copying the Ormerod slic3r settings across, change the Printer->Extruder 1->Retraction distance to 4 or 5mm. This was the main thing I had to do to avoid getting threads and blobs in my prints. [EDIT: reducing the extrusion multiplier to 0.95 also helped to get good prints in my case, but your mileage may vary.]

11. Clean the Kapton bed with isopropanol (some people use acetone) before each print.

Happy printing!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 11:11AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Re: Things I have printed - and my tips for getting to this stage
December 31, 2013 06:58PM
David, that's a great summary of tips there. Well done for getting this far and helping the rest of us along the way.
January 01, 2014 03:43AM
@DC42 Good tips, thanks for sharing.
Can't wait to have my display of printed parts (when time permits!).
January 01, 2014 04:36AM
Happy new year all!!

David Thank you for sharing!!!

I discovered the hard way how much of a pain using just the alan keys were!

I also went and bought a set of needle files which were a huge help too.

For the x runner bearing I used kapton tape to "shim" it as described in some cases of the building the Z axis (I think it was) I think your replacement of a 10mm is a better idea though.

Thank you once again...
January 01, 2014 04:46AM
Hi gregstah, I agree with you, needle files are essential too.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 01, 2014 06:25AM
Excellent summary of the main issues being encountered dc42. I would just add that automatic homing of the Z-axis should not be trusted as the results are too variable and the sortware/hardware tweaks to resolve it are not yet fully worked out.

Instead, manually home the Z axis by moving the extruder nozzle to the middle of the bed (with Z a few mm above the bed) and then place a clean sheet of A4 copy paper between the nozzle and the bed before lowering the Z axis using the web interface in the smallest increments. Keep pulling on the paper until it just gets pinched - and that's the Z at +0.1mm (close enough!) Finally send the command G92 Z0 to reset the internal Z register and confirm that the coordiante is zeroed in the web interface.

RS Components Reprap Ormerod No. 481
January 01, 2014 06:43AM
Hi Radian,

I suspect that your issues with automatic Z axis homing are due to sensitivity to ambient light and/or using reflective aluminium tape. I mentioned in another post that with the aluminium tape, I found that if I moved the Y position in 1mm steps, the G31 value I read varied enormously. I found that white PVC tape gave far more consistent results. Also I changed the component values on the sensor board to reduce sensitivity to ambient light. My Z axis homing is now very consistent except when the print head sags.

I think your manual Z axis homing suggestion is an excellent one for anyone who can't resolve the ambient light issues. I would add that in this case, it would also be better not to use the automatic bed compensation.

btw if anyone living near to me (GU12 postcode area) wants to drop in, I'll gladly change their sensor board resistors - but I am expecting RepRapPro to improve the sensor in the near future anyway.

January 01, 2014 08:21AM
Great summary! hmm.. I now seem to be spending more time reading the forum than getting my Ormerod to print something. Therefore .. Inspired by this thread.. I am logging out to get on with it! smiling smiley

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login