Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-axis endstop black wiring connectors

Posted by JamesR10 
Y-axis endstop black wiring connectors
December 31, 2013 12:57PM
Does anyone know what I can use to to replace the connectors to the endstop with. I got as far as finishing to build and found I had no way if doing this.
My two wires have black heatshink around the ends, and it looks like there are connectors in the images.

Btw. Mines green, with revised parts, it arrived Xmas eve after RS had run out of numbered reds. I was amazed as they were prolonging the availability day by day until I thought it probably would even be available to until early Jan, and a little Xmas miracle occurred. I guess no-one will be able to claim that they have green. No.1... Lol.

I could solder the wires on, but I'm loath to do so. It's going to just have to be stared at I guess.
Re: Y-axis endstop black wiring connectors
December 31, 2013 01:07PM
They should be square-section black female connectors, like this:

Are you sure it really is heatshrink on yours, and there are no connectors inside?

EDIT: if there are no connectors, I don't see any reason not to solder them on, after all you can disconnect the other end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 01:09PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

December 31, 2013 03:35PM
They look like your suppose to attach a connector block to them and then to the terminal (they may have female pins), I have just tried to peel back the HS but it broke the terminal in half, but never mind.
I wondered about a male terminal plier crimped to the end stop, the just pushed onto that.
But I'm wondering what part it's supposed to be. Anyway I ran out of terminals by using the wrong ones first. It may be solder, but I need to sort a desk space first.

Thanks though.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (565.1 KB)
December 31, 2013 04:01PM
James

Are you saying your machine has no serial number at all? This seems odd as RRP seem to set some store by asking what serial number you have when getting support. Clearly they should not have to support replica machines. Who is going to be first with producing replica machines?

I am sorry to say that in my over inflated egotistical opinion this picture is worth a thousand words in terms of RRP's engineering design. Have you ever seen a sensor cable split to go both ways round a motor shaft and sprocket? Can't say I have, wonder why that is?

Rory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 04:06PM by Rory166.
December 31, 2013 05:09PM
JamesR10
They look like your suppose to attach a connector block to them and then to the terminal (they may have female pins), I have just tried to peel back the HS but it broke the terminal in half, but never mind.
I wondered about a male terminal plier crimped to the end stop, the just pushed onto that.
But I'm wondering what part it's supposed to be. Anyway I ran out of terminals by using the wrong ones first. It may be solder, but I need to sort a desk space first.

Thanks though.

These are the same as on my printer, a female connector with heatshrink over. You just have to push them onto the microswitch pin.
December 31, 2013 07:54PM
JamesR10
I could solder the wires on, but I'm loath to do so. It's going to just have to be stared at I guess.

Don't worry, it's just an inexpensive microswitch, just solder the wires on
December 31, 2013 08:25PM
Rory

Are you saying your machine has no serial number at all?

ifaik the only serial number is the one written on the certificate delivered with the kit

...this picture is worth a thousand words in terms of RRP's engineering design. Have you ever seen a sensor cable split to go both ways round a motor shaft and sprocket?

Never! - and I have been in the biz of Electromechanics since 1976 - but I like the design, its daring! (to boldly go where no man has gone)

Happy New Year and a thousand thank's to the Reprap support team and community!

Disclamer: I'm a bit drunk [blush]
January 01, 2014 04:12AM

I am sorry to say that in my over inflated egotistical opinion this picture is worth a thousand words in terms of RRP's engineering design. Have you ever seen a sensor cable split to go both ways round a motor shaft and sprocket? Can't say I have, wonder why that is?
This is to keep it simple, nothing to do with RRP's skills.
I wonder how many of us have 'improved' this bit, or have left it as is?

Those of us with any experience or desire to improve it can solder the tags and route the wires in a nicer fashion. It's open source and we can take the product in what ever direction we want, from simple changes to these wires to redesigned parts.

I think on the whole this project is amazingly well designed and simpler for none mech/elect people to assemble.
In a short while when the firmware and a few other points are resolved the product will be truly amazing for new purchases. Early adopters always have "some input required", but I have learnt a lot about 3D design techniques, assembly and operation by jumping in early.
January 01, 2014 07:06AM
Happy New Year! Just beginning to feel human again, after an exuberant evening!

The y axis endstop wiring loom either has a crimp housing or heat shrink. Inside either is the same crimp, which should just push on to the micro switch terminals. You may need to turn the crimp through 90 degrees; it seems to fit better one way than the other, due to the shape of the crimp.

It was my idea to run the wires either side of the motor shaft!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 01, 2014 10:47AM
I pushed and pushed and it went on.
Though I doubt the other one will as I broke the terminal, but I might have 1 female terminal, gas torches and some Hs tube...
I think it might be good to mention it in the manual about them having completely covered terminals.

Well it's doable

As for the serial no. Well all I can find is a general cover letter and a packing list. And a parcel force letter. To be fair above the numbered versions then they aren't likely to be numbered. I was just speculating. So I don't know about support, but my letter states to email reprappro.

Thanks guys for the answers. Maybe today will be the day.
January 01, 2014 02:38PM
Only the 500 red Ormerods have a machine number. I guess we'll be going by the RS order number from now on.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 01, 2014 03:15PM
Hi Ian

Does this mean when I start selling cloned Ormerods provided I give my customers a made up RS order number you will give them free support?

Seriously though I apologise for any offense caused by my comments about the wire in close proximity to rotating parts. If I had realized you were involved I would have kept quiet. You have been doing a superb job all over the holidays. I do hope that your bosses take very seriously the many issues that this machine has and decide on some rapid solutions. Otherwise everyone will be doing there own thing to get a working machine.

Rory
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login