Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-carriage slides off bearing

Posted by dsred294 
X-carriage slides off bearing
December 31, 2013 09:02AM
My Ormerod #294 has developed a new symptom.

When attempting to print it starts as normal,
but a few layers in the x-carriage slowly slides off the bearing.

Until it is only hanging by the belt, but still being moved by the motor.

Thought I would share, as I cracked up laughing when I saw this,
to be fair the printed X-carriage I received was not printed the best.

It does make for a refreshing change from the connection problems etc. smiling smiley
Re: X-carriage slides off bearing
December 31, 2013 09:36AM
".. hanging by the belt, but still being moved by the motor.."

Oh the poor thing! - Never give up, never surrender he he..

the X-carriage I received was a very tight press fit (nr. 168)

Erik
December 31, 2013 05:38PM
Hi Dsred

Looking at my printer and wondering how to stop the bearing coming out of the slide. First thing that comes to mind, is the bearing running free on the shaft? It is hard to see how enough force could be generated to move it out of the carriage if it was free. The instructions said nothing about lubrication but some light oil in the bearings seems to be good. There is a grove in the bearing and I am wondering if a C- clip cut to fit and pushed into the groove then pk screwed to the printed part would do it?

I suppose a replacement printed part is one answer.

Rory
January 02, 2014 04:24PM
Hi I have ormerod 23 and I have a similar problem but my bearing is touching the x-axis plate but the nozzle lift 0.7 at X 100.
The X axis is not that stable but Ithink it should be enough, I broke the rib by misstake when I checked the stability and now it is a little bit better, about 0.5 but its very unstable, took some tejp as a quick fix.

The print is quite good as long as it smallsmiling smiley

I am thinking of making both this parts in aluminum instead to get is more stable I gues mine is warped.

Appriciating all inputs.

Joar Stenqvist

www.flexoart.com

Ormerod 23
January 02, 2014 04:51PM
The original X-axis rib and plate I received did not fit well. It seemed that one of the slots in the plate (the one nearest the motor) was at least 1mm out w.r.t. the corresponding tab in the rib. The other 2 slots were perfectly aligned with the tabs. So I had to bend the plate if I wanted to fit all 3 tabs in it. I think this must have been a design error, unless the laser cutting is very imprecise.

I didn't like the idea of bending the plate, so I filed down that tab on the X-rib before fitting them together.

Later on I broke the nut trap in the X-rib while trying to fit the nut on the threaded rod. So RepRapPro sent me a new X-rib and X-plate. The new rib and plate were a very sloppy fit in both dimensions. I would have preferred them to get the spacing right, rather than just increase the slot sizes in all directions, which is what they seem to have done. However, after securing all the screws, my X-assembly seems rigid enough, and I don't see any obvious twist in it. But I guess the automatic bed compensation would compensate for a small twist.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 02, 2014 05:12PM
Joar107 - The bearing should not be touching the plate. If the x-rib and/or x-axis-plate is broken, email me and I'll send you new ones.

dc42 - the sloppy fit does really matter. Once the two end are constrained, and the z-runner-mount is in place, it's not going anywhere! The x-rib just keep the x-axis-plate flat.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 02, 2014 05:18PM
dc42
The original X-axis rib and plate I received did not fit well. It seemed that one of the slots in the plate (the one nearest the motor) was at least 1mm out w.r.t. the corresponding tab in the rib. The other 2 slots were perfectly aligned with the tabs. So I had to bend the plate if I wanted to fit all 3 tabs in it. I think this must have been a design error, unless the laser cutting is very imprecise.

I didn't like the idea of bending the plate, so I filed down that tab on the X-rib before fitting them together.

Later on I broke the nut trap in the X-rib while trying to fit the nut on the threaded rod. So RepRapPro sent me a new X-rib and X-plate. The new rib and plate were a very sloppy fit in both dimensions. I would have preferred them to get the spacing right, rather than just increase the slot sizes in all directions, which is what they seem to have done. However, after securing all the screws, my X-assembly seems rigid enough, and I don't see any obvious twist in it. But I guess the automatic bed compensation would compensate for a small twist.

Is it possible use more than 4 points When leveling the bed, My problem is that the bed appears to be lower in the middle and this is linear, like it was bend at X 100 .
All four corners can I get perfect but at X 100 the bed is low.
January 02, 2014 05:34PM
droftarts
Joar107 - The bearing should not be touching the plate. If the x-rib and/or x-axis-plate is broken, email me and I'll send you new ones.

dc42 - the sloppy fit does really matter. Once the two end are constrained, and the z-runner-mount is in place, it's not going anywhere! The x-rib just keep the x-axis-plate flat.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
@ Ian
If the bearing on the x carriage shouldn't rest against the x plate what use does it Make then? Or have I missed out on something important? I have send you an mail.
/Joar
January 02, 2014 05:36PM
Yes, the 9mm bearing on the back should rest on the x-axis-plate. Sorry, I thought you meant the big linear bearing!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 02, 2014 05:39PM
If the bed is not flat then I think you need to resolve that rather than use more levelling points. Someone else has suggested using 4mm float glass instead of 3mm.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 02, 2014 05:42PM
dc42
If the bed is not flat then I think you need to resolve that rather than use more levelling points. Someone else has suggested using 4mm float glass instead of 3mm.
The Bed it self is flat it is x carriage that moves up at X 100, it twist a little.
January 02, 2014 06:08PM
Joar107: Look along the line of the x axis - is it straight? If the x-rib or x-axis-plate is broken, and held together with tape, the chances are it's not going to hold straight. The x-rib and plate should slot together with no pressure, or there will be a bend in them, and an increased chance of breaking. Also check the whole assembly isn't twisted.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 03, 2014 03:16PM
@Ian I have redsigned the x rib and x plate and send it lt for laser cut in Aluminum, not sure how it turns out so I still want the parts I asked for.
Actually after I broke the rib the x-axis is much better I guess it was a lot of tension before.

/Joar
January 03, 2014 03:25PM
Joar107: no problem, we will still send them. Did you use our files as a basis? x-rib and x-axis-plate dxfs here: [github.com]
I wish we could make them from aluminium... photos, please, when you get them!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 03, 2014 04:59PM
I used the stp files I still run 2012 SW and you run 2014 I guess. I removed the slot fitting and added som material on the rib so I can put it in the mill to get a perfect straight surface the I will fit it with 6 m3 bolts.
Yes there will be some pictures!
But I must say I get really nice prints now ones I lost the tension in the x axis so I think it's kind of overkill with the alu.

/Joar
January 05, 2014 12:45PM
I had the same problem with mine they were a very sloppy fit, so what I did is wrapped a little teflon tape around them then pushed them in and its been good ever since. Good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login